TiCats 24 - Lions 23, Post-Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:09 am
ZLions wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:07 pm
Sir Purrcival wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:47 pm
One shudders to think of what the frustration level might be here if not for the 2011 miracle cup.
Understand what you're getting at, but I personally wouldn't call the 2011 Cup a "miracle". I mean, coming back from 0-5 was amazing, but with the enormous talent the Lions had in every single position that year, a Cup was long overdue.
That has always been my point with Wally teams, they have to have far superior talent in order to win. That is an indication of teams preparedness that Wally teams have. As long as they "execute" all will fall in order. If not, Lions lose to inferior talent. This has been the case as long as I remember, luckily 94 Western Final was one of those.
The 94 Western Final illustrates how Wally is not a great in-game coach who can make changes that will take the pressure if another team has their foot on their throat as Danny McManus and the Lions had in the final drive. Dan Kepley was the colour guy and was asked prior to winning TD to Darren Flutie to "make a play call" and it was along the lines of 'everyone knows it's likely to Flutie' and how the 'Stamps and everyone in the stadium knows' that. Then he added something like if all else fails a QB draw. I still watch that 8 minutes at times and when he says that I recall saying on the QB draw .. nooooooooooooooo lol.

The issue in any game in any sport is that your opponent will get the upper hand at some point in the game. The issue isn't that you can prevent it. The issue is how you coach so your team knows how to deal with it. Wally looked lost during the Lions drive.

Stamps Bo Levi M has not been lighting it up this year but he manages the game so they win and he doesn't blow it - and Dickensen play calls accordingly.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
leo4life
All Star

Ahhh Dickenson...the one that got away...heard he doesnt care much for Bouno...imagine him as our HC/OC and Noel Thorpe as our DC...Leos also need to look at their ST coaching ..is Mcmann still here?!?!?!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:40 pm
The 94 Western Final illustrates how Wally is not a great in-game coach who can make changes that will take the pressure if another team has their foot on their throat as Danny McManus and the Lions had in the final drive. Dan Kepley was the colour guy and was asked prior to winning TD to Darren Flutie to "make a play call" and it was along the lines of 'everyone knows it's likely to Flutie' and how the 'Stamps and everyone in the stadium knows' that.
This was my big complaint about the defence against Hamilton. Luke Tasker is their go-to receiver and everyone knows it. Yet the Lions left him in man coverage with Chandler Fenner for the entire fourth quarter with the game on the line. Fenner couldn't stop him alone. On third and 6 in the final minute when everyone should have known Masoli would throw to Tasker, he ran a quick out and made a 10-yard catch to keep the Ticats alive and set up the winning field goal. If the Lions had given Fenner any help in coverage on that play, they likely would have won the game.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

leo4life wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:19 pm
Ahhh Dickenson...the one that got away...heard he doesnt care much for Bouno...imagine him as our HC/OC and Noel Thorpe as our DC...Leos also need to look at their ST coaching ..is Mcmann still here?!?!?!
Chuck McMann is gone but his replacement under Wally's guidance has Special Teams doing an even worse job than when McMann was ST coach. :bang:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:40 pm
David wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:49 pm
ZLions wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:33 pm
Just a quick question guys, did Bryant Turner Jr. even dress for this one? What happened to him, he was supposed to be one of our top players this season. Another victim of the ratio?
Saw him at the game on the concourse.

His wife just gave birth, so he missed most of practice week.

DH :cool:
In addition to returning home for the new baby, Turner has lost his starting spot to a national, Junior Luke. He last played three weeks ago at nose tackle when Mic'hael Brooks was hurt. Turner has been extended on the one-game injured list in the past two weeks. He may stay there until someone else gets hurt.
Matt Baker has a nice update on Turner's personal life, including his wife's difficult birth and his post-football career plans as a real estate agent

BIRTH OF DAUGHTER PROVIDES PERSPECTIVE FOR TURNER JR.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Turner should have a little chat with John Henry White about being a real estate agent.