Lions vs. Ticats Sept. 22, 2017

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

yukonlion
Rookie
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:02 pm

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:07 pm

They dont run any plays to help the oline or the QB, no roll outs, few screens, all runs up the middle... brutal game plan... every team knows our playbook

how is it the fan sites know this, the announcers know this, but the coaches dont

User avatar
Rammer
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 22076
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:04 pm
Location: Coquitlam, B.C.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:07 pm

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:58 pm
Sigh, the worst record in the league, new coach, time zone disadvantage with a late start. C an this team be any more inept.
Can't even blame the OL this game, just the OC.

Lions need to execute now, but it isn't the players.
Entertainment value = an all time low

User avatar
Lion Guy
Legend
Posts: 2459
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Lion Country

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:12 pm

The promise of trading camp and the excitement it caused seems like a distant memory. The need to clean house coaching wise.

User avatar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer
Posts: 3430
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:48 am
Location: PoMo

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:15 pm

How significant was giving up that fg at the end of the first half
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.

User avatar
Lion Guy
Legend
Posts: 2459
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Lion Country

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:22 pm

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:15 pm
How significant was giving up that fg at the end of the first half
How's fricken hard is it to figure out to not tackle a player to let the clock run out? That's coaching awareness. That's what the Lions lack, smart coaches. Jones and Washington are horrible. Perhaps when Wally goes we can get some coaches that are hired for their football acumen and not their religious affiliation.

randymeeks
Legend
Posts: 1425
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2002 5:25 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:24 pm

Two wins out of a playoff spot. Why would anyone buy a ticket to see this team after blowing a very winnable game against a mediocre football team
tonight?
"I have social skills, jackass!"
-Malcolm (Malcolm In The Middle)

ZLions
Rookie
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:35 pm

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:24 pm

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:15 pm
How significant was giving up that fg at the end of the first half
All they had to do was refrain from tackling him and time would run out. Instead, they tackle him to the ground just in time to stop the clock.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21263
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:13 pm
Location: Vancouver

Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:35 am

Unbelievable stupid play calling. They had a first down deep in the red zone. Instead of running it in, the Lions called for 2 long passes in the end zone which felled incomplete.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21263
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:13 pm
Location: Vancouver

Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:37 am

randymeeks wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:24 pm
Two wins out of a playoff spot. Why would anyone buy a ticket to see this team after blowing a very winnable game against a mediocre football team
tonight?
Plus they allowed a running back who haven't played football for 3 years to rack up 140 yards rushing. Lions a skilled team ? I think not

User avatar
mountaincat
Rookie
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:53 am

Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:03 am

Lion Guy wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:22 pm
Perhaps when Wally goes we can get some coaches that are hired for their football acumen and not their religious affiliation.
:whs:

more preying, less praying

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21263
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:13 pm
Location: Vancouver

Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:09 am

yukonlion wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:07 pm
They dont run any plays to help the oline or the QB, no roll outs, few screens, all runs up the middle... brutal game plan... every team knows our playbook

how is it the fan sites know this, the announcers know this, but the coaches dont
This is not a surprise to anyone following the Lions. It's the same old, same old rolled out for every friggin game. No imagination on offence. What I find ironic is the Lions have a segment called Chalk Talk on the big screen during home games featuring Khari Jones.

B.C.FAN
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 9217
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:28 pm

Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:35 am

TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:35 am
Unbelievable stupid play calling. They had a first down deep in the red zone. Instead of running it in, the Lions called for 2 long passes in the end zone which felled incomplete.
Wally said after the game that Jennings had a run/pass option. Jennings said he read blitz and cover zero and opted to pass, thinking his receivers would be able to get open. Both times he rushed his passes and threw off target. With Jennings' fragile confidence, that's a situation where they should have simplified the game for him and called simple handoffs to Johnson up the A-gap. He was running the ball well and the O-line was opening big holes.
"I think [Fred Fateri] was like a lot of people who watch football, hockey or any professional sport on television. They sit there and think they could coach better than the professional. Some people really think that." - Bob Ackles, The Water Boy

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Posts: 3147
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:10 am

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:35 am
TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:35 am
Unbelievable stupid play calling. They had a first down deep in the red zone. Instead of running it in, the Lions called for 2 long passes in the end zone which felled incomplete.
Wally said after the game that Jennings had a run/pass option. Jennings said he read blitz and cover zero and opted to pass, thinking his receivers would be able to get open. Both times he rushed his passes and threw off target. With Jennings' fragile confidence, that's a situation where they should have simplified the game for him and called simple handoffs to Johnson up the A-gap. He was running the ball well and the O-line was opening big holes.
The underlined part highlights the flawed play calling inside the 5 yard line because a run/pass option means the Oline, not knowing in advance if it is run or pass, cannot leave the line of scrimmage and charge after their opponent and push him into the end zone because it will result in a penalty if the play becomes a passing play. This is why I am not a big fan of the read/option play, especially with the ball inside the 5 yard line and with JJ24 doing well running the ball. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
This level of coaching is unacceptable.

don corleone
Rookie
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:41 am

Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:02 am

DanoT wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:10 am
not a big fan of the read/option play
Excellent point / good post.

B.C.FAN
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 9217
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:28 pm

Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:28 am

Lion Guy wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:22 pm
Sir Purrcival wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:15 pm
How significant was giving up that fg at the end of the first half
How's fricken hard is it to figure out to not tackle a player to let the clock run out? That's coaching awareness. That's what the Lions lack, smart coaches. Jones and Washington are horrible. Perhaps when Wally goes we can get some coaches that are hired for their football acumen and not their religious affiliation.
You can't tell a player not to make a tackle. The clock did run out. The ref immediately asked that they add a second to the clock after the play. I'm not sure why. It's hard to run that play in the six seconds that was on the clock.

It was a huge play, not only because of the closeness of the game but because it gave the Ticats a huge confidence boost heading into halftime.
"I think [Fred Fateri] was like a lot of people who watch football, hockey or any professional sport on television. They sit there and think they could coach better than the professional. Some people really think that." - Bob Ackles, The Water Boy

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests