CFL Games of Week 14, September 22 - September 24

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

OTT @ WPG ... Could be a good game. This CFL fan would favour Peg for the win.

HAM @ BC ... We should expect to win. However, it seems to this CFL fan that all teams do their best to gather talent. And the TiCats talent is decent. Jones has them playing better. We had a possibly discouraging loss to the Stampeders. We will see how we respond.

MTL @ TOR ... Could be Toronto in a cake walk, but ya never know.

CGY @ SSK ... Hmmmm. One might expect a Calgary victory. Most likely, methinks.

2017-09-18_0031.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

How do we rate the teams?

Calgary. #1 for all the obvious reasons.

Winnipeg. #2. Coaching. HC. OC. Scoring a bunch of points.

Edmonton. #3. But very vulnerable. Not sure how the players will respond over time to Maas going ballistic.

Saskatchewan. #4. Team is on the rise. Glenn injured however. Bridges wins a game as QB.

BC. #5. But vulnerable. Got some issues. Will Jennings stay healthy?

Ottawa. #6. On the rise somewhat.

Toronto. #7. On the rise somewhat.

Montreal. #8. Can Kavis save the floundering ship? One has some doubts.

Hamilton. #9. Could be an interesting off season. Is June Jones in for the long haul? 64 years old. Could be around for a while.

It looks very much like a Western team will get the crossover berth in the playoffs.

2017-09-18_0024.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

don corleone
Starter

Moving forward. Generally a good plan.

Liking the forum. Trying to tread lightly given my newbie status.

Last week I predicted Kevin Glenn would start and was critical of the Argo running game. I played the hunch with the Lions and Montreal and went home broken hearted fortunate to have called the Sask win and a 1 and 3 record.

Week 14 sees Ottawa visiting Winnipeg. Typical of the past 18 months the Bombers face an opponent with an inconvenience that potentially has them starting the 3rd string quarterback and at best the back up. Last time these teams played a driving rain storm worked in the Bombers favour. Medlock should score enough to win this one on his own. Hopeful the Red Blacks dress Quincy McDuffie for his return to Winnipeg. Would add to the game.

Predicting the lions roar at home. Starts with Chris Rainey busting out. Casts doubt on the Masoli oil plan in Tiger town. JJ10 leads a balanced attack. Turnovers gone.

In Toronto 3 Alouettes jump from the team bus on the way to the stadium and seek refugee status. Kavis delivers another brilliant locker room speech but Als go down. Victor Butler retakes season lead in sacks. Losing by 4 scores or more triggers the fire sale.

Either a boner or another strong crazy hunch but picking the Riders to beat Calgary at home. KG lights them up the way a confident quarterback can and will and the Sask D shuts the Stamps down. Riders are a serious bunch. Marcus Thigpen gives them a return game. Should easily be game of the week.

As far as rankings I feel the win loss record of the Bombers makes them appear better than they are. Think back to last years 2 games with the Lions at the end of the season. Game 1 is the Andrew Harris non fumble call, game 2 is the Moe Legget miracle spin move to stop Rainey at the one play. Very shallow roster as well. #2 QB Dom Davis has not taken a snap in two years. Maybe I watch a little too closely but put me in the not sold on these guys lot. Given the record I rate Bombers #4 at best.

Calgary
Sask
BC
Winnipeg
Edmonton
Toronto
Ottawa
Hamilton
Montreal

How I see it. Really need to wear glasses more often though.

Have fun and enjoy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:18 pm
In Toronto 3 Alouettes jump from the team bus on the way to the stadium and seek refugee status. Kavis delivers another brilliant locker room speech but Als go down. Victor Butler retakes season lead in sacks. Losing by 4 scores or more triggers the fire sale.

Calgary
Sask
BC
Winnipeg
Edmonton
Toronto
Ottawa
Hamilton
Montreal

How I see it. Really need to wear glasses more often though.

Have fun and enjoy
Thanks for the chuckle, don. LOL

Humour and perception both. :thup:

BC 1988
Legend

If OTT is able to win with Ryan Lindley as their starter, I will be very impressed at their coaching. (Too bad BC isn't facing them this weekend rather than in week 16).
don corleone
Starter

[quote="don corleone" post_id=384384 time=1505780297 user_id=13130]

Calgary
Sask
BC
Winnipeg
Edmonton
Toronto
Ottawa
Hamilton
Montreal

Edmonton ranked ahead of Toronto is not sitting well with me given the head to head last week.

Calgary
Sask
BC
Winnipeg
Toronto
Edmonton
Ottawa
Hamilton
Montreal

Feeling better now
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/cfl/news ... 8ufjwp3zko
Week 14 CFL picks: Stampeders, Blue Bombers only sure bets

September 19, 2017 9:27am EDT September 19, 2017 9:27am EDT Curtis Rush makes his CFL picks for Week 14.

By Curtis Rush Contributor  @curtisgrush

Published on Sep. 19, 2017

There is no shortage of storylines heading into Week 14 of the CFL season.

Could this be the week the Calgary Stampeders are brought down to earth in the belly of the green giants? Can the Montreal Alouettes really turn this mess around in time to make the playoffs? Can back-up quarterbacks in Saskatchewan, Ottawa and Hamilton handle the tough going and steer their teams into the playoffs?

Right now, the closest things to sure bets in the CFL are the Stampeders and Winnipeg Blue Bombers. That's it. I'm not sure about the Edmonton Eskimos, B.C. Lions or the Roughriders.

And I'm not sure about any team in the East. No one seems ready or willing to separate themselves from the pack.

It's sure to be another wild week.

Last week's record: 2-2

Overall record: 26-15 (.634)

OTTAWA (5-7-1) at WINNIPEG (8-3), Friday, 8 p.m.

Ottawa is down to its third-string quarterback, Ryan Lindley, while Winnipeg is at home and well rested coming off a bye week. The Blue Bombers are the highest-scoring team in the league, even more explosive than the Stampeders. If you're a Redblacks fan, you've got to be concerned for the receivers getting comfortable with all the QB changes.

Previous meeting: Winnipeg 33, Ottawa 30 (Aug. 4)

Notable stat: The league's leading receiver, Greg Ellingson of the Redblacks, had one of his least productive games of the season against Montreal with only 43 yards for a season-low of only 8.3 yards per catch. He misses the connection he had with Trevor Harris.

Pick: Winnipeg by one touchdown.

HAMILTON (2-9) at B.C. (6-6), Friday, 11 p.m.

Both teams are coming off unimpressive performances. I think Hamilton QB Jeremiah Masoli and Lions' QB Jonathon Jennings cancel each other out. They are equally effective or ineffective, as the case may be. They both tend to turn the ball over too much.

The difference is that the Lions have a stronger running attack. Wide receiver Andy Fantuz has returned to the practice roster. It's a hopeful sign for Hamilton.

Previous meeting: B.C. 41, Hamilton 26 (July 16)

Notable stat: Hamilton QB Jeremiah Masoli has thrown four interceptions and only two TD passes, while B.C.'s Jonathon Jennings has thrown 12 interceptions against only six TD passes.

Pick: B.C. by three points.

MONTREAL (3-9) at TORONTO (5-7), Saturday, 7 p.m.

The Alouettes are trending down while the Argonauts are trending up as they come off one of their most impressive wins of the season. The Argos have super-sized their running attack with 232-pound James Wilder Jr. His presence will also open up Toronto's passing attack.

Previous meeting: Toronto 38, Montreal 6 (Aug. 19)

Notable stat: The Toronto Argonauts have not won two games in a row all season. That should change now.

Pick: Toronto by 14 points.

CALGARY (10-1-1) at SASKATCHEWAN (6-5), Sunday, 4 p.m.

Riders' QB Brandon Bridge had a great game coming in for the injured Kevin Glenn. He threw three TD passes and didn't throw one interception. But he was playing against Hamilton, let's not forget. The pressure wasn't as intense as it will be for him at home in front of a demanding crowd. Calgary is too good to lose.

Previous meeting: Calgary 27, Saskatchewan 10 (July 22)

Notable stat: In five of Calgary's last seven games, the Stamps have limited the opposition to fewer than 20 points.

Pick: Calgary by one touchdown.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

2017-09-22_0714.png
OTT @ WPG

With Drew Tate unlikely to play, the REDBLACKS turn to their third-string quarterback and a relative unknown in Ryan Lindley. Suffice to say, Investors Group Field, against one of the CFL’s top playmaking defences over the last two seasons, is not the ideal place to make your first career CFL start.

If Ottawa can steal a game or two without its top two QBs in the lineup, a third straight East Division title will be possible. That will be difficult against a Bombers team that is well-rested coming off the bye and looking to shrink the gap between themselves and the West Division-leading Stampeders.

PICK
Writers: 100% Winnipeg
Fans: 91% Winnipeg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HAM @ BC

While they’re 2-9, the Ticats are very much alive in the East Division playoff race. However, there’s a very slim margin for error. Three wins in four games would give Hamilton fans reason for optimism.

The Lions are hoping for more consistency from Jonathon Jennings, who threw three interceptions in a loss to the Stampeders. On defence, Alex Bazzie’s return could boost an already-potent defence. In short, the second game of Friday’s double-header features two last-place teams that need to start winning or their post-season hopes will fade.

PICK:
Writers: 100% BC
Fans: 88% BC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MTL @ TOR

The first time these teams met, the Argos couldn’t find the end zone with backup quarterbacks Cody Fajardo and Jeff Mathews. In the rematch, with Ricky Ray under centre, the Boatmen had the game won by halftime.

With the growing divide between the top-two and the bottom-two in the East, Saturday’s rubber match at BMO Field will go a long way in determining playoff spots in the CFL East Division.

PICK
Writers: 100% Toronto
Fans: 91% Toronto

CGY @ SSK

Sunday’s matinee finishes off Week 14 with a clash of the CFL’s two hottest teams, as the Riders have won four of five while the Stampeders have taken eight straight. While the Riders struggled in their first clash, the scene shifts to new Mosaic Stadium, where they’re 4-1 this season.

Kevin Glenn is back while the Riders’ recent additions of Elie Bouka and Marc-Olivier Brouillette will make their debuts in Green and White. And in the end, something’s got to give, whether it’s Saskatchewan’s high-flying offence or DeVone Claybrooks’ smothering Calgary defence.

PICK
Writers: 57% Calgary
Fans: 66% Calgary

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

If this CFL fan had a second favourite team after the Lions, it just might be the Bombers.

Bombers 29 - RedBlacks 9

Matt Nichols

22/33 69.7%, 319 yards, 2 TDs, 0 Ints

Andrew Harris

11 carries, 83 yards, 7.5 avg, 1 TD

6 receptions, 49 yards

Offence 543 yards for the offence directed by Paul LaPolice

Defence allowed 266 yards

O'Shea is a very, very effective Head Coach. IMO

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:37 am
If this CFL fan had a second favourite team after the Lions, it just might be the Bombers.

Bombers 29 - RedBlacks 9

Matt Nichols

Andrew Harris

6 receptions, 49 yards

While the Lions are not yet mathematically out of the playoffs the reality is that they are not good enough and don't have innovating enough coaching or game planning to expect them to turn things around. The good news is that missing the playoffs will save them the embarrassment of yet another playoff blowout loss.

It is with the above in mind that I am now rooting for Harris and the Bomber to make it to the Grey Cup. And for Harris to hit the unique 1000+ yards rushing and 1000+ yards receiving mark.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:22 am
WestCoastJoe wrote:

Bombers 29 - RedBlacks 9

Matt Nichols

Andrew Harris

6 receptions, 49 yards

It is with the above in mind that I am now rooting for Harris and the Bomber to make it to the Grey Cup. And for Harris to hit the unique 1000+ yards rushing and 1000+ yards receiving mark.
Without a miracle for us, that would be terrific, Dano. Andrew Harris is one of my all time favourite players. From the time I first saw him at practice and read about his football journey. :thup:

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:39 am
DanoT wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:22 am
WestCoastJoe wrote:

Bombers 29 - RedBlacks 9

Matt Nichols

Andrew Harris

6 receptions, 49 yards

Without a miracle for us, that would be terrific, Dano. Andrew Harris is one of my all time favourite players. From the time I first saw him at practice and read about his football journey. :thup:
I think it is great that Harris left the Lions and is now benefiting from playing for an OC in LaPolice that better understands how to best use Harris' talents, something that Wally and his OCs were not innovative or imaginative enough to maximize. Hell, the Lions don't even use the talents of JJ24 enough, ie. put the ball in the RBs hands . :bang:
don corleone
Starter

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Careful Joe. They will break your heart in the end. The team is not as good as their record suggests. Thin on talent at numerous spots. Finding ways to win.

Mike O'Shea is getting a lot of help. Bombers have done a 180 on offence since Lapo came on board. I would offer him a job Monday morning and believe it would be a positive in terms of attracting new ownership. My thought was O'Shea would not have made it through 2016 never mind extended without LaPolice on board.

Realize I am preaching to the choir on change.

Bombers offence did look good. Andrew Harris is feasting on the 3 man rush. Another BC alum in Tim Flanders had a good game and adds to the package as well. Bomber oline is doing a good job of protecting Nichols. Edmonton next week should be a better test of where the Bombers are at. Playoff bound for sure apparently.

Lindley was as expected but Red Blacks game was lost on defence. Ottawa season left hanging by a thread. Could be a good matchup with the Lions.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:33 am
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Careful Joe. They will break your heart in the end. The team is not as good as their record suggests. Thin on talent at numerous spots. Finding ways to win.

Bombers offence did look good. Andrew Harris is feasting on the 3 man rush.
O'Shea and LaPo. Good combination, don.

They just might be able to sustain it. Nichols is playing lights out. IMO way beyond what he showed previously. If he keeps walking the walk, that is who he is.

I always thought Harris was taken a bit for granted. Not by me. He has football instincts.

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

WINNIPEG Getting some stability and continuity that is always essential seem to have found it with this latest regime. O'Shea wasn't brilliant out of the gate as he didn't have the right pieces but their patience with him has proven to be an advantage. I think they could see that he was taking the team in the right direction and once they settled on Matt Nichols and Lapo as OC things have worked pretty well. Nichols is a legit top tier starter.

O'Shea and his coaches are doing a good job and Matt Nichols has clearly used his 3 seasons in Edmtn watching Mike Reilly play to his advantage.

They don't live and die by trickery but I like to watch Bombers games as they're always looking to pull something off much like the Ticats used to do on ST with Reinebold until this year when he was a short term DC - for fans you just never know.

OTTAWA was so certain that the end of the Burris era and letting players like Chris Williams and Ernest Jackson et al move on would be a smoother transition than it has. Now they're down to a former NFL that 3 Down Nation has just concluded can't play here as his passing accuracy sucks. I didn't see that game so can't comment. Who'd have thought Drew Tate as a back up would get injured if Harris went down. Well maybe many.

LIONS did what they could to let the TICATS win and there's blame all over for that situation.

TORONTO - ALS - Looking like Argos today if they can keep Ray in the game. For how good a coach Trestman is, I think he's nuts not to have a back up who can play and that means giving the guy decent reps in practice.

CALGARY - SASK - Based on last year and even the start this year who'd have thought you'd see 3/7 pundits take the Riders this game. Quite a turnaround from the talk with fans and the media that Chris Jones was going to be tossed if the losses kept mounting. They've put out an entertaining product and put Kevin Glenn in a position to play to his strengths.

The STAMPS could face a decent and very close challenge as this game has the makings to be game of the week material.

IF the Riders get off some big plays (if Glenn's okay) and guys like Carter are involved they could squeak out the win.

It might help that Messam's getting banged up. Dickensen used to hold Messam back to the point that Messam was annoyed but based on the hits he's been getting this season and the hit to the neck by Awe, he should be getting some break time if they play to win a GC this year.

Hard not to think STAMPS this week - but I'm looking forward to a very good game.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy