Als hire Ken Miller as offensive consultant

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

Funny...this weekend I added a post where I mused out loud about the potential benefits of the Lions hiring an offensive consultant.

Durant is obviously struggling and today's game could have been the nadir of his career. He clearly valued his relationship with Miller when they were both with the Rider organization. The Als are obviously banking on Miller resuscitating Durant before he completely vanishes into abject futility.

Perhaps a development for the Lions to take note of?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I would be both surprised and shocked that Buono would bring in an offensive consultant. That would be tantamount to admitting something is wrong with the game plan.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

CardiacKid wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:46 pm
Funny...this weekend I added a post where I mused out loud about the potential benefits of the Lions hiring an offensive consultant.

Durant is obviously struggling and today's game could have been the nadir of his career. He clearly valued his relationship with Miller when they were both with the Rider organization. The Als are obviously banking on Miller resuscitating Durant before he completely vanishes into abject futility.

The Lions don't need to hire a consultant, they already have one. What the Lions need to do is fire Khari Jones and replace him with Lulay. It would result in a guaranteed improvement in play calling. However, Wally has a history of protecting his assistant coaches so I don't really expect any coaching changes.
CardiacKid
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:08 pm
I would be both surprised and shocked that Buono would bring in an offensive consultant. That would be tantamount to admitting something is wrong with the game plan.
I agree that would be Wally's attitude 9 times out of 10. But he is leaving at the end of this year and he is probably thinking about his legacy. At least, I would think a guy like Wally would put a lot of stock into how he is regarded once he leaves.

And having a quality QB under center for his successor is a major part of how stable the team will be going forward. We have seen how Montreal has completely and utterly struggled finding a decent quarterback and their struggle to get a coach is intrinsically related to their QB struggles.

Jonathon's issues this year may be a true reflection of who he is as a quarterback. Or they may be an ebb that is entirely correctable with some specific intervention on his behalf.

Yes, there is Travis but the CBA recognizes him as a player, not a coach or consultant; even though he is obviously a mentor. Travis transitioning into a coaching role is a topic for next year. IMO if the Lions are going to save JJ10's career as a Leo, they need to intervene now.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

If Wally thought about his legacy he'd have hired his replacment HC's properly and he's failed now with three since stepping back to be GM only!!!

First he hired Benevides -and that worked only so long as it took him to run the team into the ground.

Then he hired Jeff Tedford who spent his new time pre-season getting fan and media accolades for teaching his QB Travis Lulay how to fall down. Then he played the long forgotten NFL QB to no success before that guy got hurt and Jennings who played terrific in preseason started shooting out the lights.

Then Wally hired himself - along the lines of Pop and now Kavis Reed and Ken Miller who Durant got back to take over as he sulked and played bad without him. It never turns out well when the GM takes the sideline. Wally then brought back Dorazio he's best before date tactically is long past especially as he has to play against former Lions Dickensen and Benevides.

If Wally is worrying about legacy, he'd have a proper process in place to select a HC as well as change how he hires assistants as the criteria in my view is very suspect. Seems like a certain type of assistant who all share a common thread stay and those who don't get exited.

I posted yesterday that Durant's 0 and 6 was like the way he did it to get Ken Miller back and now I'm reading this.

I get how TSN can't tell the truth but for them to say it's a confidence issue is balderdash as they know full well what's going on here with the sulky QB.

Just a week or so back he compared how good Glenn had it with the new Riders players compared to him. Clearly he took no accountability for his poor play where he opens each game throwing passes that only a gopher could be in position to see.
It ain't confidence.

The next move for Durant is to sulk to ownership that Kavis makes him nervous (that could be true) and he can only play with his teddy bear on the sideline - Uncle Ken. loll
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
The_Pauser
Legend

I just find it funny how no matter who we have as our coaches that people complain anyway. We had Chapdelaine and people complained about his play calling. Then we had Jones and people complained. Then we had Cortez and people complained. And now we're back with Jones and people complain. Why is it that across 3 separate OC's people are complaining about our play calling? Maybe the answer is more simple and the talent just isn't there?
Roar you Lions roar!
David
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:12 am
I just find it funny how no matter who we have as our coaches that people complain anyway. We had Chapdelaine and people complained about his play calling. Then we had Jones and people complained. Then we had Cortez and people complained. And now we're back with Jones and people complain. Why is it that across 3 separate OC's people are complaining about our play calling? Maybe the answer is more simple and the talent just isn't there?
The talent isn't there? Really? :shock:

When receiving depth is so deep that Nick Moore is your spare part? Two guys on offense who have both run 4.2 / 40 times? One of the top 3 running backs in the league in Jeremiah Johnson? Two quarterbacks, who at the start of the season may have been the best 1-2 combination in the league?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

I don't know how an Offensive Consultant would fill up their entire day. But when I first posted to this topic, I wasn't necessarily thinking mostly in terms of re-writing the play book. Instead a 1-to-1 coach with Jonathon to help him work on his game-time focus, his mental prep, etc. The kid has the yips and is totally "choking the chicken" (ball=chicken).

Maybe the playbook has been altered to help him with holding onto the ball too long, etc., but he isn't using it like he should. Maybe he is mentally stuck on big plays and can't get past that. I don't know but the kid has tremendous upside and for the price of a little humble pie on the part of Wally, I think the team should get someone onside to work with Jonathon.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Any discussion about fixing the B.C. offence must begin and end with Jonathon Jennings. Any offence can be tweaked but the problem this year is that Jennings has not been executing the offence in the way Travis Lulay has. Consider some of the evidence:

In the 7 games in which Jennings has played the majority of snaps, the Lions averaged 328 yards of net offence.
In the 5 games in which Travis Lulay has played the majority of snaps, the Lions averaged 447 yards of net offence.
By comparison, the Edmonton Eskimos lead the league with an average net offence of 395 yards through 12 games. The Lions have by far the best offence in the league when Lulay is at QB.

Whether it's mental (not seeing the field, deer in the headlights) or physical (shoulder problems), Jennings is not using the full potential of the offence and other teams know it. Calgary had two or three defenders on Manny Arceneaux and Bryan Burnham on Saturday because they know Jennings locks in on those receivers. Despite the blanket coverage, Jennings still targeted those two receivers with half his pass attempts. Chris Williams and Nick Moore were high-priced decoys. Marco Iannuzzi and Shaq Johnson caught the combined 3 passes thrown their way, but those were mere crumbs falling from the table.

The most telling statistic about Jennings' performance this year is his lack of range and accuracy. He is only effective on short passes. Going into the Calgary game, here are the passing stats for the B.C. QBs at various ranges:

0-8 yards: Jennings 79%, Lulay 78%
9-19 yards: Jennings 53%, Lulay 74%
20+ yards: Jennings 35%, Lulay 57%

Lulay is not coming back this year, and changing the offence only works if Jennings is able to execute the changes. The priority for the coaching staff for the remaining 6 games must be to get Jennings to broaden his field of vision and his range so he can execute the offence the way Lulay has this year. Jennings has proved in the past that he has the tools to do it. Trying to involve all 5 receivers in the passing attack must be a priority.
The_Pauser
Legend

David wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:34 am
The_Pauser wrote:
The talent isn't there? Really? :shock:

When receiving depth is so deep that Nick Moore is your spare part? Two guys on offense who have both run 4.2 / 40 times? One of the top 3 running backs in the league in Jeremiah Johnson? Two quarterbacks, who at the start of the season may have been the best 1-2 combination in the league?

DH :cool:
And who do we have on the offensive line?

And also, Jennings has been awful this year. It's night and day comparing him to what Lulay has done.
Roar you Lions roar!
Blitz
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:17 pm
CardiacKid wrote:

The Lions don't need to hire a consultant, they already have one. What the Lions need to do is fire Khari Jones and replace him with Lulay. It would result in a guaranteed improvement in play calling. However, Wally has a history of protecting his assistant coaches so I don't really expect any coaching changes.
I couldn't agree more with every comment you made Dano T.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

CardiacKid wrote:

I wonder if Montreal hired Miller to help resuscitate Durant or to help Calvillo understand Durant and how best to use him. I listened to quite a bit of Montreal's game Sunday on sat radio with the Larks' home broadcast crew which includes Davis Sanchez providing commentary. They pondered the effectiveness of AC calling plays for DD. In their opinion what AC liked to run and was very successful with as a QB is a game that doesn't fit Durant's strengths.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
don corleone
Starter

Thinking Weston Dressler is next on the must have memory lane list and as a Bomber fan would love to see it happen.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions may have the talent but the coaches have no idea how to utilize their talents. I give you the case of Chris Williams as an example.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Lowell Ullrich article on 3 Down Nation Post the 3rd loss in a row and this was to RBs 31-24:

http://3downnation.com/2017/08/27/qb-ch ... s-starter/
"Calling out the play-calling: There’s no direct finger-pointing, but it seems abundantly clear that some players are frustrated with the play-calling of offensive coordinator Khari Jones lately.

Of course, it’s not easy to design a productive offence when once again the offensive line protection for Lulay or Jennings is less than ideal."
He went on:
Chris Rainey, who may not get check-marks for his assignments on every offensive play but is by far the Lions most versatile weapon, had three offensive touches. Rainey and Chris Williams, who was supposed to be the deep threat option that would make the offence the class of the division, had fewer targets combined Saturday than Marco Iannuzzi, who was targeted seven times but only caught three thrown his way.

Jeremiah Johnson, who started the season producing more points than any on his team, apparently has been placed in a witness protection program. Johnson bit his tongue hard when he had five carries against Calgary, thinking he would be utilized more. He was nearly bleeding with only seven carries against Ottawa.
Players were clearly frustrated so it' just fans:
Rainey was incredulous, and he wasn’t alone among members of the offence, when the Lions couldn’t convert on a second-and-short play to start the third quarter, which was only the second time in the game to that point when the Lions remotely threatened to produce points. To him, it conjured up perhaps the most memorable goal-line play in the Pacific Northwest in his lifetime.

“It felt like the damn Seahawks in the damn Super Bowl,” said Rainey, hardly a ringing endorsement of the play-calling of Jones at that point.
This suggests O players were not happy with the play calling:
And the solution?

“Ain’t no sugar-coating or beating around the bush. Give your playmakers, who make plays in practice day in, day out, the ball in the games. It’s that simple,” he said.

“We should (stretch the field) but that’s up to the coaches. We got a bye week. They got a whole week to think about it just like all the players got a whole week to look in the mirror. This is ridiculous right now. I can’t take no more of this; no more.”
It was only slightly more rosy on the defensive side of the locker room, where issues have also been identified.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy