Stampeders 27 - Lions 13, Post-Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Jeremiah Johnson had only 2 carries in the second half. Lions keep beating themselves by stopping what works.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The defence has "5 in the box," as they say. To me we should run against this formation all day, until they prove they can stop the run.

I recall Barrin Simpson talking about not having enough defenders in the box against the run. This was at practice many years ago. Is it still possible to force the defence to have 7 in the box against the run? I would think so. That would open up the passing game.

Steward should be run blocking a lot, leading a vigorous ground game, not standing in space in a pass protection scheme that fails. IMO a waste of talent.

To me this is a commitment to all out pass defence. 8 defenders on 6 receivers. And with effective planning they get excellent pressure on the QB with very few guys up front. I do think there is vulnerability in that alignment.

Just IMO ...

2017-09-18_2259.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
CardiacKid
Legend

A question for those Lionbackers who like to break the game down after it's done and dusted (after a loss I tend to delete the game from my PVR without looking at it....my intestinal fortitude is not very strong these days).

What did you think of Foucault at right tackle? I recall he distinctly whiffed on one sack but I was mostly fixed on watching JJ10 scramble so I didn't really make note of Foucault's individual performance throughout the entire course of the game.

I know his more natural position is tackle (left or right I don't know); did he seem more comfortable at tackle versus guard? Did he seem to adapt better as the game went on?

Just curious what those in the know thought?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:53 pm
A question for those Lionbackers who like to break the game down after it's done and dusted (after a loss I tend to delete the game from my PVR without looking at it....my intestinal fortitude is not very strong these days).

What did you think of Foucault at right tackle? I recall he distinctly whiffed on one sack but I was mostly fixed on watching JJ10 scramble so I didn't really make note of Foucault's individual performance throughout the entire course of the game.

I know his more natural position is tackle (left or right I don't know); did he seem more comfortable at tackle versus guard? Did he seem to adapt better as the game went on?

For my part, CK, I taped the game on PVR. The only review I have done is from the CFL site, with the highlights, as seen in these breakdowns.

In the brief highlights film Foucault gets beat a couple of times. I do not want to say too much. He does seem to lack some agility and mobility. On running plays he can power his man backwards. I would rather stay with him at tackle than Palmer or Johnson. He is a National, and has some upside. Can he ultimately make the grade? The jury is probably out on that.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:53 pm

I've been hard on Foucault ever since training camp. He didn't seem to have the footwork needed to play tackle and he was regularly beaten when he played guard. Perhaps I didn't have high expectations for his play on Saturday, but I was quite impressed. He didn't look out of place, at least no more than Kelvin Palmer and Antonio Johnson did when they played right tackle. I don't think he completely whiffed on a block, and shouldn't be blamed for the sacks that Jennings took in the first half.

Alas, it appears the experiment with four nationals on the O-line is over after one game. Khari Jones was quoted today as saying the O-line needs to play better, and LU reports that Palmer is expected to return to right tackle on Friday against Hamilton.
David
Team Captain

Yea, I was going to report that too BC FAN. I heard the same about playing Palmer this Friday today on an online report from Farhan and Giulio.

The Lions really need to quit dicking around and find 5 guys and stick with them. Olines need continuity. Foucault was turnstiled a couple of times early on but I thought he settled in and didn't play badly. No worse it seemed than the rest (for example, I saw Alex Singleton shoot the A Gap on one play and in a split second was stealing Jonathon's lunch money).

3 Down Radio was interesting last night. There was some thought that JJ10 was hanging onto the ball too long and causing issues for the line, as you suggested. I saw it as a bit of both (shaky pass protection and hanging on too long at times).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Foucault to me seemed to lack good feet movement. Lacks mobility.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

So we give Foucault his first-ever start at tackle against the Stampeders then demote him a week later? Where have I seen this movie before?
Oh yes, Levi Adcock making his debut also against Calgary last season and being released soon after.
What a frickin team to be tinkering against.
Absolutely ridiculous the musical chairs that have been going on all season with the o-line, d-line and secondary.

So I guess our $100,000 plus international receiver will be inactive again after zero catches last week. Or maybe the other even higher priced international with zero catches last week should sit given Moore lit up the Ti-Cats back in July. What a mess.

Hate to say it but can't wait for this era to be over. From the owner right on down.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Ty Long :thup:

FGs 4/4

Punting Avg 54.4

We've seen him make tackles as well this year.

2017-09-20_0129.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

"Mitchell, a lot of steamboats," says Cuthbertson.

Very nice pass to McDaniel, who found a hole in the 9 man zone.

Jennings does not get those steamboats, IMO.

2017-09-20_0132_001.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

8 men back, covering 5 receivers. Anybody open? Manny is surrounded. Picked off.

2017-09-20_0141.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

A wider angle look. 5 receivers. 8 in coverage. No one has found a hole in the zone. Jennings tries to force it in. Calgary was sitting on the routes very well. "He was waiting and reading the throwing angle in the lane," says Suitor.

His pass might have made it, but the underneath man slides over to make the pick. Routes too close together. Plus it is tough to find holes with 8 men back covering 5.

Any delay and Jennings would be holding it too long.

Is Iannuzzi open at the bottom of the screen? Not if he is immobile. But he does prevent a pick 6.

A comeback route on the far side of the field would have potential. But the receiver is not looking back. He is pushing deep.

2017-09-20_0145.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

STs. The punt would have been blocked by B.C.

But no backup. No one spying on the outside.

Maver takes off. From 3rd and 15 to 1st down.

2017-09-20_0155.png
2017-09-20_0157.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Ty Long prevents a TD on a punt return by Finch. Although Purifoy with his speed might have run him down.

2017-09-20_0205.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

We blitz. Screen pass. Touchdown.

2017-09-20_0207.png