B.C. at Calgary Sept. 16, 2017

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Don Miller wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:26 pm
:dizzy: Once again out coached and out played. Defence gave us a chance. Jennings still having problems reading defences. O line weak and has been for years. Poor recruiting, how does Calgary always have a good O line.. better recruiting and coaching. Kuhari Jones is no better than Chapdelaine as OC. Chris Williams is pretty well invisible?? The way the Lions play is easy for defences to defend. They will be lucky to make it to the playoffs. Beating east teams isn't much to be excited about. I have been a die hard Lions fan since 1959 Randy Duncan Willie Fleming era. This season is worse than last year. With the team being for sale and a change in Head Coach, maybe it is time for a new era of Lions football. We will be lucky to get 20000 for the game next week against a poor Hamilton team.
Agreed.

The fans in the stands will reject the excitement that this team generates.

Win the line of scrimmage, win the game. Lions don't come close on either side most games. Dorazio has an athletic group to work with, it is once again time to dumb down his 'superior' OL schemes. Same old same old.

As for the DL, just not enough talent/size and Bazzie isn't going to change that.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The Lions were outcoached yes but the players too didn't execute and that's on them. There's a leadership issue if your only leader is the injured QB. Lowell IIRC wrote after a prior debacle that the players were not happy with play calling and were also not happy with those horrid excuses for away unis.

But the Stamps know how to play BC as Wally as changed no thinking and even brought back Dorazio giving Dickensen who knows BC and Wally a chance to play their MLB in a shutdown manner with little BC reaction until the second half. Changing it up is on the coaching staff.

When the CFL game has changed with everyone using some gimmicky plays and Wally thinks it's bad teams only - you have to question his ability to keep up with the upper echelon. Players love that stuff and it excites fans.

This thinking that you just have to execute better has gone out the window with the pads at the bench.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
The_Pauser
Legend

I still don't understand how the other team can get constant pressure on our QB despite a 3-man rush. I saw a few plays last night where we even had 6 blockers (with Johnson back there) and JJ was getting rushed. That's unacceptable, and yet has happened far too often this season. When your blockers outnumber the pass rush your QB should have all the time he needs to make a play.
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

So much for self scouting during their bye week. Stamps did a exemplary job of noting BC tendencies. Even a casual fan can predict with a reasonable accuracy on what's coming.
Rammer
Team Captain

Just pondering here, but with Wally's reluctance to deceive the opposition on O, do you think that is affecting JJ? If the opposition is sitting on that first read, JJ doesn't have time to check down with the OL play.

If a bye week doesn't force change, don't expect change to happen under this regime this remainder of the season.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:02 pm
So much for self scouting during their bye week. Stamps did a exemplary job of noting BC tendencies. Even a casual fan can predict with a reasonable accuracy on what's coming.
What's even more pathetic is that it was almost a Calgary "B" Team with all their injuries and we still looked like inferior competition.

I will give our defense credit though. I can see signs of improvement on our D line - Menard and Luke have really come on lately. Boatright has upgraded the end spot, and getting Bazzie back will be a big upgrade. Roh has had a solid year, and I thought Brooks was quite disruptive in the middle.

We seemed to get much more pressure on Mitchell than other times in the recent past. There were also a few times Calgary was forced to hold to avoid a sack.

And I think we've found the next Nigerian Assassin in Awe. Crown of the helmet or not, he's a heat-seeking missile. :thup:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:17 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:02 pm
What's even more pathetic is that it was almost a Calgary "B" Team with all their injuries and we still looked like inferior competition.

I will give our defense credit though. I can see signs of improvement on our D line - Menard and Luke have really come on lately. Boatright has upgraded the end spot, and getting Bazzie back will be a big upgrade. Roh has had a solid year, and I thought Brooks was quite disruptive in the middle.

We seemed to get much more pressure on Mitchell than other times in the recent past. There were also a few times Calgary was forced to hold to avoid a sack.

And I think we've found the next Nigerian Assassin in Awe. Crown of the helmet or not, he's a heat-seeking missile. :thup:

DH :cool:
Awe's big hits are reminiscent of when Elimimian first arrived. Solly though has transitioned his game to that of a cerebral technician who anticipates (largely helped by extensive film study) where the play is going and then instead delivering the big hit which can also injure himself, he does the Pete Carroll rugby style tackling.

Hopefully Awe transitions his game and stops leading with his helmet.