Lions 41 - Alouettes 18, Post-Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

maxlion
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:44 pm
maxlion wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:09 pm
Only way we get Collaros is if we trade Jennings. Could be worth considering.
Collaros is shattered and has zero confidence right now. Austin rode him hard and him away wet.
Plus I understand he is not a great team-mate and *beeotch* a lot. Not a good fit for the Lions locker room.
Definitely some question marks there. I am having some concerns about Jennings too. He relies too much on his receivers making big plays, and continues to throw into double coverage. When he kept it simple last night, he did well, but against a better team, I am sure we would have seen at least a couple of interceptions. I want to believe in him, but I have to say the jury is still out. And I think Collaros is better than he has shown this year.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

My biggest concern with Jennings is that his shoulder is not yet fully recovered and he is more likely to suffer another shoulder injury now that the joint is loosened. There is no one behind him who can step in and win a game.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The_Pauser wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:41 pm
Anyone have any insight as to why RP was on the sidelines last night? Sounds like he may be coming back to the team, but I don't know in what capacity.
How about DC? :shock:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:41 pm
Anyone have any insight as to why RP was on the sidelines last night? Sounds like he may be coming back to the team, but I don't know in what capacity.
Wouldn't be a shock if Phillips return in some capacity.
BC 1988
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:59 am
My guess is we'll go with Jennings and Ross, and probably pick up someone from down south. Last month we had a guy that came up from the Seahawks who had a great arm. I can't remember his name, but he looked good in practice.
I would assume Jake Heaps is still an option, but in this much more dire circumstance (compared to last month) he might not be what BC is looking for. I wonder who else is available from NFL cuts?

I don't agree with attempting to get Collaros (or Drew Tate, even if he was available).
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:50 pm
CardiacKid wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:44 pm
maxlion wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:09 pm
Only way we get Collaros is if we trade Jennings. Could be worth considering.
Collaros is shattered and has zero confidence right now. Austin rode him hard and him away wet.
Plus I understand he is not a great team-mate and *beeotch* a lot. Not a good fit for the Lions locker room.
Definitely some question marks there. I am having some concerns about Jennings too. He relies too much on his receivers making big plays, and continues to throw into double coverage. When he kept it simple last night, he did well, but against a better team, I am sure we would have seen at least a couple of interceptions. I want to believe in him, but I have to say the jury is still out. And I think Collaros is better than he has shown this year.
He also tend to rely too much on his arm strength trying to wing the ball into tight coverage. As a result a lot of interceptions. Reminds me in a lot of ways of Dieter Brock.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I think Jennings has to go deep. That is his nature. As BCFAN suggests, his arm might not be 100%. It does not look like 100%. His long balls are floaters.

As defences now see him as the starter, the special prep he gets may slow him down once again.

This fan has belief in him. We need to give him game prep that keeps his confidence up. Lots of running plays. Short routes as checkdowns. Plus the longer routes he, Manny and Burnie like so much. Interceptions? Goes with the territory of long passes. Still worth it IMO.

Fail. International DLs. This is a personnel issue. Or perhaps it is just that these are the prototypes that Mark W wants. My Gawd. It seems the Lions must like this prototype. That is why we have them. I don't think too many other CFL DCs would "load the boat" with them. I see them as contain types, with a bit of run stopping and a bit of pass rush pressure, but no game breakers. I think we have to award the defensive mediocrity, student games showing up ribbon, to Mark Washington. Questionable personnel choices. Questionable schemes. Predictability.

Fail. International OLs. Much pain and agony over the years provided by our OL, mostly for QBs. Much also for the fans. The ways of failure are many, and variable. As noted on here many, many times.

A nice win for us. An entertaining game.

Rather horrible for Jacques Chapdelaine and the Alouettes. "Apres moi, le deluge," supposedly said Charles DeGaulle of France. It seems that way for the Alouettes after Popp in Montreal.

This fan has hopes for Jonathon Jennings. Alex Ross could be good as backup. We might get to find out. We will see who Wally brings in as #3.

Once again, an entertaining game. Lots to like and enjoy.

Can we contend for the Grey Cup? One kind of doubts that. We look like a 5th place club, with our weaknesses and vulnerabilities. Lulay brought us the miracle of 2011. 6 years ago. Can Jennings do that? Ya never know. But the odds are seriously against it. Lulay was much more experienced at that time than Jennings is now. The talent level, IMO, is similar, although their styles are somewhat different.

Any plans to break down some tape or plays? Not at this time ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

This is your nuclear weapon. But it seems we are saving him. For what? Use him. Plan for him. Prepare for him.

I expect it has occurred to Chris Rainey that he might have more fun, and feel better utilized with a different team.

Let's just save him. Secret weapon.

We used him on the FG block. Now let's put him back on the shelf. Save him. Credit to the one that came up with the idea. Marcello? Wally? One would think it was Marcello, but ya never know. Maybe it was Chris Rainey. Coach, put me on the end. I can block the field goal. And there was Gaitor just waiting for the block. Well done. Nicely conceived. Let's see more of this type of game planning. :thup:

2017-09-09_1615.png
2017-09-09_1618.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

David
Team Captain

Yup. Wally said on the radio that Rainey thought he good block one if given the chance. It wasn't a brilliant coaching revelation, let's put it that way.

What other CFL team could have two sub-4.4./40 weapons and not know how to properly deploy them?? Good grief! Just have our big ticket FA Williams run out patterns and crossers and get creamed. :roll:

There's not a whole lot separating us from being among the best teams in the league. 1-2 players on the o-line, a disruptive rush end....and better coaching/personnel decisions.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

:mac:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:22 pm
We used him on the FG block. Now let's put him back on the shelf. Save him. Credit to the one that came up with the idea. Marcello? Wally? One would think it was Marcello, but ya never know. Maybe it was Chris Rainey. Coach, put me on the end. I can block the field goal. And there was Gaitor just waiting for the block. Well done. Nicely conceived. Let's see more of this type of game planning.
David wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:57 pm
Yup. Wally said on the radio that Rainey thought he good block one if given the chance. It wasn't a brilliant coaching revelation, let's put it that way.
Too funny. Let's stay with pablum, vanilla, bread and butter. Safer that way. We can get better execution if we don't fool around with fancy stuff. Old School.

Thank you, Chris. It was a highlight play. :thup:

Oh yeah, and we saw the attempt at ... not sure what, with the the Super Power I Formation. LOL Hey, we can be creative. An attempt at deception? I guess. (Some countries can design stylish cars, and some ... can't.)

Chris Williams 6/41 6.8 average ... It does not seem that we know how to utilize this weapon.

maxlion
Legend

When we lose, it's due to coaching.
When we win, it's in spite of coaching.
Predictable.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:44 pm
Predictable.
Some criticize. Some defend. Yes, it is predictable, max.

We had a nice running game, and a nice passing attack. The players played hard. The coaches worked hard all week, as usual.

David
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:
Predictable.
But when we win, I hear on the radio or read in the newspaper that it was a good game plan by the coaching staff, and when we lose it was poor execution, so it works both ways. :wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
maxlion
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:47 pm
maxlion wrote:
Predictable.

We had a nice running game, and a nice passing attack. The players played hard. The coaches worked hard all week, as usual.
Opinions based on evidence are never predictable.
Opinions based on bias always are.

I appreciate David's observations about radio and newspapers (which I never listen to or read). Nobody likes listening to a broken record, no matter the song.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:22 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:47 pm
maxlion wrote:
Predictable.

Opinions based on evidence are never predictable.
Opinions based on bias always are.

I appreciate David's observations about radio and newspapers (which I never listen to or read). Nobody likes listening to a broken record, no matter the song.
You take offence to criticism of Wally and the staff.

You criticize other bloggers.

Some on here criticize and praise coaches and players.

I will continue to criticize and praise coaches and players as I see fit.

You can have the last word.