Lions 41 - Alouettes 18, Post-Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Nice pass protection again. Short pass to Williams in the flats. D all over him. Short gain.

2017-09-11_0136.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Williams gets crunched. Defender waiting. CW did well to hang on to the ball.

2017-09-11_0139.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Johnson at LT gets beat. JJ10 lined up.

2017-09-11_0141_002.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

But Jennings performs some magic. Makes a move like Chuck Ealey or Fran Tarkenton. Spin. Rollout. TD to Rainey.

2017-09-11_0145.png
2017-09-11_0145_001.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rainey tells the staff he can block a FG. Yes he can. And Gaitor is waiting in excellent position. Beautiful.

2017-09-11_0150.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good pass pro. Good pccket. Pass to Manny.

2017-09-11_0153.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Big Ernest motors in. Nicely designed play.

2017-09-11_0155.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The old near-screen still works. 2 point convert.

2017-09-11_0157.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Burnham magic. Go get the ball. And he can do it.

2017-09-11_0200.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Great coverage too. But Burnham is amazing.

2017-09-11_0202.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Steward with a massive block. And by Johnson also.

2017-09-11_0207.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jacques and Wally.

2017-09-11_0210.png

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Great breakdowns, Joe. I appreciate the work that goes into those. I wish the Lions had run more to the left side of the line, especially in the goal-line offence. Steward is the key to their run blocking.
BC 1988
Legend

Figaro wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:23 pm
Offense: Jennings showed signs of the phenom from last year. Manny and Burnham? Toss it in their area code and it is a completion, what a tandem. Iannuzzi continues to have an exceptional year. I still don't understand why they don't go deep to Williams - it is always the 5-10 yard crossing pattern or a 5 yard hook - use his speed more, even if you don't throw to him he clears it out underneath for another receiver.

Running game looked great. JJ24 is a star running back. I think if they went with him and Rainey as a running tandem they would both do better - running a sweep with the speedy and elusive Rainey would open up the middle a bit more for JJ to hit a big one. I was disappointed with the O-line selection. Antonio Johnson AND Kelvin Palmer on the O-line at the same time! It looks like Vaillancourt is the odd man out which I find quite odd as he is much better than the two previously mentioned O-linemen. I thought Stewart was having an all star season at left tackle so in their wisdom they move him to guard and insert the traffic cone of a left tackle in Johnson or Palmer for that matter (watch #7's play against Palmer all night!!!) The left side should be Stewart and Vaillancourt, the right side should be Fabien and ??? with Husband in the middle.

Defense: The two players that impressed me the most were Menard and Luke. Luke is a pile mover - he was double teamed on every down and yet consistently pushed the double team back into the quarterback's space forcing Durant to take an additional step back just when he was set to throw in order to get the ball off - this is why a number of his throws seemed so errant - he even slammed his hand into his own lineman a couple of times. Luke blocked a pass with a straight bull rush pushing his man back into Durant. Menard is a machine and plays really well beside Luke. He knows how to slip past when they double team his partner. Maxx Forde should start. Those three guys give a nice rotation for DT. Roh, Boatright and Turner for the other rotation. I also thought Awe had a good game as a rookie at linebacker with 3 solo tackles and in on a number of others. I was watching Elimimian helping him out with positioning before the snap and advice right after - Awe will improve - big upside to his play. Purifoy needs to use his arms when he tackles - Cunningham went for an additional 15 yards on a reception after Purifoy tried to tackle him with a hit rather than a hit and wrap. We got better play from Thompson at free safety - good to see. They may have picked on Gaitor but I think he is playing well for a second year man.

Special teams - beauty of a decision to put Rainey at rush end on the blocked field goal attempt. Coach should have found some time in the last 3 and a half months to explain the kicking rules to his kicker. I still don't know why they blew the whistle on that play with the ball on the goal line - Logan had not played the ball - there is only a single if the ball goes into touch through the end zone or a player concedes the point. Puzzling for all concerned.

Overall, a game we had to win. I like some of the player changes on defence but question those on the O-line. I saw some solid effort from a team that worked hard. I am saddened by what happened to Lulay - it appears to be unanimous here and on the media that the guy is an exemplary individual on and off the field. If this ends his playing career, coaching is surely his next step - QB and receiver coach for the Lions next year followed by a quick promotion to OC - then we might get some more innovative play calling that takes advantage of our talent as well as adjusting to take advantage of the opponents weakness. Do you see Lulay as a HC in a few years much like Dickinson?
I enjoyed reading your analysis. As a fan (but not a student) of the game, it's always nice to see another well thought out take.

TL's logical progression would be to start as QB/Receivers coach--he's proven he has the aptitude already. Given his lack of (official) coaching experience, it would be up to him whether he feels comfortable moving up from that starting point. I think he will definitely be doing this somewhere--it's up to the Lions to hire him before another club does.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:55 am
Great breakdowns, Joe. I appreciate the work that goes into those. I wish the Lions had run more to the left side of the line, especially in the goal-line offence. Steward is the key to their run blocking.
Thanks, BCFAN. It is a bit of work breaking them down. But one gets some satisfaction from it also.

Steward makes many powerhouse blocks.