Its Time to Play Football Again - Leos vs. Als

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

Run the ball, run the ball, run the ball.........

I find it quite ironic that Jones is shown on the big screen for all to see, expounding on the benefits of a balanced attack including a running game. Throw the OLine a bone and give them a chance to run block.

Throw underneath to Chris Williams.....

He is completely under-utilized and the kind of talent that can make things happen by simply getting him the ball. Let his speed do the talking.

Take the check down if that is all you got....
I don't think this will be a worry with Travis at the controls.

Piss or get off the pot with the formations.....
Mostly thinking of the secondary but they need a chance to gel. They are talented but too many communication breakdowns for all to see. Stop the massive, wholesale shifts in personnel when one guy goes down please! Also for the DLIne, if Boatright cuts the mustard then make him the designated starter. I think the Lions have so many DLinemen they confuse themselves with all the potential combinations.....too many ways to tinker.
maxlion
Legend

Durant is pretty good at escaping pressure and throwing away the ball to avoid the sack. Last game, in which Olafioye was scratched due to back problems, Durant was sacked once in almost 3 quarters. Willy was sacked 4 times in just over a quarter. Willy makes opposing dlines look good, Durant not so much. If we keep their passing game off balance and limit the run, the d will have done its job.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Run the ball, run the ball, run the ball.........
Agree, time for the Lions to utilize the running game. Time to get the ball to Chris Williams and let him do his thing.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Clearly Lulay knows what self scouting was needed and has sort of said that in interviews. I'm sure he'll have had input this week and he's playing pretty well and has never been so healthy and confident since pre-injury days. His head is where he simply has no worries any more (unless he makes them up for himself) and he's playing confident and it shows to his team mates and his coaches. Getting Johnson involved and showing some run creativity would be refreshing.

But there won't be a controversy with Jennings or next year based solely on the makeup and the character of these two.

Chris Williams coming off that injury just might not be that explosive guy he once was and I'm still confused as to why you'd need him AND Chris Rainey. But to use him underneath versus tossing it to him with the field in front of him is nuts. Underneath is no place for him - downfield yes. Out of the backfield, you have Rainey or Johnson.

Instead of a Chris Williams why not develop or get another big huge RB like Messam and get some FB play like says he's not just a blocker but we might toss to him and we might get him some yards running with it. Maybe to be Wally's OC you have to ignore that position other than as predictable run blocker.

I'm thinking the Als are in trouble with the way Darian Durant was talking this week when he spoke of how he's doing versus Kevin Glenn. Lions should get two pts this week.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
CardiacKid
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:35 pm
Clearly Lulay knows what self scouting was needed and has sort of said that in interviews. I'm sure he'll have had input this week and he's playing pretty well and has never been so healthy and confident since pre-injury days. His head is where he simply has no worries any more (unless he makes them up for himself) and he's playing confident and it shows to his team mates and his coaches. Getting Johnson involved and showing some run creativity would be refreshing.

But there won't be a controversy with Jennings or next year based solely on the makeup and the character of these two.

Chris Williams coming off that injury just might not be that explosive guy he once was and I'm still confused as to why you'd need him AND Chris Rainey. But to use him underneath versus tossing it to him with the field in front of him is nuts. Underneath is no place for him - downfield yes. Out of the backfield, you have Rainey or Johnson.

Instead of a Chris Williams why not develop or get another big huge RB like Messam and get some FB play like says he's not just a blocker but we might toss to him and we might get him some yards running with it. Maybe to be Wally's OC you have to ignore that position other than as predictable run blocker.

I'm thinking the Als are in trouble with the way Darian Durant was talking this week when he spoke of how he's doing versus Kevin Glenn. Lions should get two pts this week.
Williams' bread and butter with the RedBlacks the last couple of seasons has been the shorter and intermediate routes and using his speed to accumulate YAC yards. IMO having him occupy defenders thoughts with those routes will help Manny and BB for the bigger plays.
Figaro
Rookie

On offense: play Rainey. Start him in the backfield with JJ24. Rainey is one of the best offensive players in the league - why do we hide him behind ineffective blocking on special teams. When he gets the ball in open space, fans begin to rise out of their seats because they have a good chance of seeing a highlight reel move or two. Again, play Rainey - and not up the middle, that is JJ24's territory. I think these two players in the backfield will take a lot of pressure off of Lulay - they must be respected. Roll Lulay out to a wider Rainey - as a defender, who do you cover. I hope Husband is back at centre with Vaillancourt moved bak to left guard and Stewart out to left tackle. The offence should use that left side as it is the power side of the line.

On defence: glad to see Boatright get a chance. What I would really like to see is Luke start at DT. I watched his play in the last game and he pushes his man back into the quarterbacks space. Again start and play Luke - I think he is a defensive stalwart in the making. I also want to see Forde and Menard rotate in more - especiallly Forde. I agree with Blitz and have already called for starting Awe. This kid has a motor like Bighill and Elimimian. He may make a mistake or two but he has to be given the chance to learn from the coach on the field: Elimimian.

On special teams - time to put Williams back there and I hope by god they have figured out how to block. If you want to protect Williams then use Ianuzzi - who I think is having his best season as a Lion this year.

I hope they change the tempo of how they play - when they went up-tempo last game, the defence was fooled as we moved the ball consistently. Fast tempo with Rainey and JJ24 and we win.
The_Pauser
Legend

maxlion wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:00 pm
Durant is pretty good at escaping pressure and throwing away the ball to avoid the sack. Last game, in which Olafioye was scratched due to back problems, Durant was sacked once in almost 3 quarters. Willy was sacked 4 times in just over a quarter. Willy makes opposing dlines look good, Durant not so much. If we keep their passing game off balance and limit the run, the d will have done its job.
Then I guess it's good that we aren't very good at pressuring the QB. ;)
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Damn roof CLOSED. Muggy in here
BC 1988
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:48 pm
I knew it would be when they left this on the game day page all day:
ROOF WILL BE ___?___ 😎
CardiacKid
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:48 pm
Yep, just about stripped down to just my undies and my hard hat. Yee haw! :towel:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Looks like it will be another small crowd
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lulay shook up
aklawitter
All Star

unreal, where is karma when you need it
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Foucault missed his block on the first play, and a QB got hurt as a result. We've seen this movie before.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

That touchdown is what the doctor ordered for Jennings