Player transactions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

maxlion
Legend

In my opinion, Foucault's struggles have been exaggerated. Stewart and Johnson have been just as culpable as Foucault for missed blocks and hits to qbs. Fabian and Husband have been our best linemen to date. Foucault's career is just starting out, so it remains to be seen if he can reach his potential or become a mainstay on the oline.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:20 pm
I wouldn't suppose anybody would have video footage of his actual game time in the NFL? I believe he started one game on the OLine.
I think Foucault burned the tape. He started one game for Carolina as a rookie in 2014 when all the other tackles on the roster were injured. Here's one blogger's report.
The Panthers need Byron Bell back

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but the Panthers need left tackle Byron Bell to return to the starting lineup as soon as possible. As terrible as Bell has played this season, his injury replacement David Foucault played even worse in just one start. Despite frequent help from Greg Olsen and Jonathan Stewart in pass protection, Foucault still gave up three sacks against the Saints – only one less than the total number of sacks Bell has given up all season.
On Second Thought: Observations from the Panthers loss to the Saints
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:30 pm
CardiacKid wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:20 pm
I wouldn't suppose anybody would have video footage of his actual game time in the NFL? I believe he started one game on the OLine.
I think Foucault burned the tape. He started one game for Carolina as a rookie in 2014 when all the other tackles on the roster were injured. Here's one blogger's report.
The Panthers need Byron Bell back

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but the Panthers need left tackle Byron Bell to return to the starting lineup as soon as possible. As terrible as Bell has played this season, his injury replacement David Foucault played even worse in just one start. Despite frequent help from Greg Olsen and Jonathan Stewart in pass protection, Foucault still gave up three sacks against the Saints – only one less than the total number of sacks Bell has given up all season.
On Second Thought: Observations from the Panthers loss to the Saints
In fairness wouldn't that be expected when a guy is one training camp and half a season of practicing removed from playing CIS football and suddenly thrust into a starting tackle role in the NFL? Foucault wasn't starting because he was ready but rather because they had no other choice. Tossed to the wolves seems accurate.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:26 am
In fairness wouldn't that be expected when a guy is one training camp and half a season of practicing removed from playing CIS football and suddenly thrust into a starting tackle role in the NFL? Foucault wasn't starting because he was ready but rather because they had no other choice. Tossed to the wolves seems accurate.
True. The Panthers gave him another year on the practice roster and then released him in his third training camp. This year marks his fourth attempt to establish himself as a professional lineman. I hope he develops as a starter at guard or tackle but he's not there yet.
David
Team Captain

Looks like DE Alex Bazzie is poised to return to the Den.
Rick Dhaliwal‏ @DhaliwalSports

Not done but certainly looks like DL Alex Bazzie leaning towards signing with the #BCLions.

BTW, can someone explain to me where the Riders are finding the cap room to re-sign Foster and Knox? Or is it a case of "SMS be damned. We'll spend like drunken sailors to win ball games and worry about the consequences later" ??

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:34 am
Looks like DE Alex Bazzie is poised to return to the Den.
Rick Dhaliwal‏ @DhaliwalSports

Not done but certainly looks like DL Alex Bazzie leaning towards signing with the #BCLions.

BTW, can someone explain to me where the Riders are finding the cap room to re-sign Foster and Knox? Or is it a case of "SMS be damned. We'll spend like drunken sailors to win ball games and worry about the consequences later" ??

At this time of the year it becomes easier with each passing week. Riders have played 10 of 18. Every salary added to the 46 means one has to be removed. It's not the salary that is being added that matters but rather the sum of the one added less the one removed. I have no idea what those guys would command but simple math says:

Sign for $130K it becomes $57778 prorated salary less $23555 minimum salary player removed = $34228 SMS room needed.
Sign for $100K it becomes $44444 prorated salary less $23555 minimum salary player removed = $20889 SMS room needed.

One thing I do notice with the Riders is they don't use the 1G much at all. Zver has been the only one on the 1G for most of the season in what is an obvious stashing exercise. He's not ready to play and they may fear losing him if they put him on the PR. Like most young rookies out of CIS he needs practice time more than anything to help him develop. Stash him on the 1G and he can keep practicing. Put him on the 6G and he'll be no more ready to play than he was when the Riders plucked him from BC. In Saskatchewan it seems every player that gets hurt goes directly onto the 6G.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
David
Team Captain

Name got mangled by the TV announcer, but that's our Alex Bazzie with the preseason sack for the NFL's Cardinals.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/iahnuTiWmEQ

Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

Although it hasn't been officially announced (maybe contract not yet registered with the league or club is waiting until they return from the bye), but the Leos have signed a very good running back from Ohio State University by the name of Dontre Wilson. Looks like a very slippery back with good hands and can also play receiver (Chris Rainey version 2.0 but a bit bigger).
Dontre (TRE) Wilson‏Verified account @treydayy_ Sep 26

Officially a @BCLions ! All thanks to God ! Just signed the dotted line🙏🏿

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

We're entering the post-NFL-cutdown period of expanded practice rosters. We can expect at least five signings to be announced in the next week.
David
Team Captain

DE Ken Boatright released this morning by the club.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:39 am

I thought that the Lions liked Boatrights play. OTOH they do have a lot of D linemen, just none that are dominate. :bang:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:31 am
David wrote:

I thought that the Lions liked Boatrights play. OTOH they do have a lot of D linemen, just none that are dominate. :bang:
Yes, the arrival of Alex Bazzie pushed the other defensive ends down the depth chart. I'm somewhat surprised, though, that Josh Shirley and Andrew Hudson were the two rookies who survived. Boatright's speed off the edge was noticeable. He had a total of 3 QB pressures in 3 games (all against Calgary). Shirley has 3 pressures in 9 games. Hudson has 1 pressure in 2 games.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:59 am
DanoT wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:31 am
David wrote:

Yes, the arrival of Alex Bazzie pushed the other defensive ends down the depth chart. I'm somewhat surprised, though, that Josh Shirley and Andrew Hudson were the two rookies who survived. Boatright's speed off the edge was noticeable. He had a total of 3 QB pressures in 3 games (all against Calgary). Shirley has 3 pressures in 9 games. Hudson has 1 pressure in 2 games.
Hopefully it was more on Boatright wanting to be released than on the Lions talent evaluation. When you finally get to start then you're pushed back to the PR and jumped ahead by a new signing, it may be time for a new direction.
Entertainment value = an all time low