NFL Cuts 2017

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:01 pm
Boyko either likes the PR money or believes he's just a hit or two away from being on the main squad.
Boyko isn't leaving enough CFL money on the table to be worth passing on the NFL PR spot. For argument's sake assume Boyko were to sign in BC for $100K (reasonable for a CFL rookie with some NFL experience under his belt) and did so in time to be added to the Lions 46 for Friday's game. He would earn $44,444 for the 8 game cheques. All he has to do is stick on the Chargers PR through Week 6 (CFL Week 17) and he's earned more than he can for the rest of the CFL regular season. In the meantime he keeps his NFL dream alive. If he gets activated he goes from $CDN8300 per week PR money to $CDN34000 per game minimum for game cheques. He really has nothing to lose. If he never gets activated or gets released from the PR halfway through the season he is still BC property. The same sort of CFL offer he might've received to day will still be there in April.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:33 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:01 pm
Boyko either likes the PR money or believes he's just a hit or two away from being on the main squad.
Boyko isn't leaving enough CFL money on the table to be worth passing on the NFL PR spot. For argument's sake assume Boyko were to sign in BC for $100K (reasonable for a CFL rookie with some NFL experience under his belt) and did so in time to be added to the Lions 46 for Friday's game. He would earn $44,444 for the 8 game cheques. All he has to do is stick on the Chargers PR through Week 6 (CFL Week 17) and he's earned more than he can for the rest of the CFL regular season. In the meantime he keeps his NFL dream alive. If he gets activated he goes from $CDN8300 per week PR money to $CDN34000 per game minimum for game cheques. He really has nothing to lose. If he never gets activated or gets released from the PR halfway through the season he is still BC property. The same sort of CFL offer he might've received to day will still be there in April.
Yes, moving to the CFL right now would be dumb from a money perspective.

But did I hear right that it's about $160,000 if you're on the PR in the NFL for a whole season?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
South Pender
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:27 pm
But did I hear right that it's about $160,000 if you're on the PR in the NFL for a whole season?
The minimum NFL PR salary for 2017 is $7200/week for the 17-week season, plus any playoff weeks--so a guaranteed $122,400 for the season. However, there is no cap on this, so that some PR players could earn more.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

South Pender wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:52 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:27 pm
The minimum NFL PR salary for 2017 is $7200/week for the 17-week season, plus any playoff weeks--so a guaranteed $122,400 for the season. However, there is no cap on this, so that some PR players could earn more.
I have a copy of the NFL CBA on my laptop at home so wasn't 100% sure of the PR salary. I was using $6700 as a number I had recalled but thought it had to be more now. Also wasn't sure if they go paid for the bye week not knowing if it was a week away from practice like it is in the CFL. Add currency exchange to your numbers and it comes close to Toppy's $160K if he was thinking loonies. Of course none of that is guaranteed. LA could drop him to make room for someone else next week and his salary would be $0.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Derell Walker returns to the Eskimos after a fail attempt at the NFL
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

That will help them a ton.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.