RedBlacks 31 - Lions 24, Post-game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

mountaincat wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:16 am
Sir Purrcival wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:11 pm
What I think would be best is to relieve him of the GM Position at the conclusion of the season and have someone else take charge of the transition.
wally stays on as coach under a new gm? are you serious?
That will never happen. Buono is used to running his own ship.
maxlion
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:13 am
maxlion wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:22 am
DanoT wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:59 am

My prediction is that at the end of the season, as part of his retirement Wally gets to choose his GM predecessor, either Simon or MacVoy (sp) who then hires his own HC. OTOH Wally being Wally he might try to influence the hiring of the HC by appointing a GM and HC "team" with Jones or Washington being that HC. Personally, I feel strongly that neither one has shown enough ability as a coordinator to qualify as a HC.
This would be surprising and unusual. Why would Wally want to choose his successor as part of a retirement package? Where is the benefit to him? More likely, Braley might ask for his input. But if Braley is gone too, all bets are off. I don't buy this Wally as megalomaniac idea. Set in his ways, sure, but I suspect he will be very satisfied to just walk into the sunset.
If Braley asks for Wally's input, then Braley is not then going to slight Wally by ignoring Wally's suggestion after he asks for it. So Wally might get to pick his successor. A new owner if he or his president don't have a football background, then Wally might have major input as well.
It's one thing to agree to provide input when requested, quite another to insist on choosing one's successor as part of a power trip. Having never met Wally, I have no real insight either way, but insisting on choosing one's own successor in any business (unless one continued to be invested in the company) would be highly unusual and a major red flag. I just don't see it happening here.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

mountaincat wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:
What I think would be best is to relieve him of the GM Position at the conclusion of the season and have someone else take charge of the transition.
No, I was thinking that Wally was going to retire all the way, thus better to let a new GM hopefully with a decidedly updated perspective go shopping for a new coach.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:58 pm
DanoT wrote:
maxlion wrote:

This would be surprising and unusual. Why would Wally want to choose his successor as part of a retirement package? Where is the benefit to him? More likely, Braley might ask for his input. But if Braley is gone too, all bets are off. I don't buy this Wally as megalomaniac idea. Set in his ways, sure, but I suspect he will be very satisfied to just walk into the sunset.
If Braley asks for Wally's input, then Braley is not then going to slight Wally by ignoring Wally's suggestion after he asks for it. So Wally might get to pick his successor. A new owner if he or his president don't have a football background, then Wally might have major input as well.
It's one thing to agree to provide input when requested, quite another to insist on choosing one's successor as part of a power trip. Having never met Wally, I have no real insight either way, but insisting on choosing one's own successor in any business (unless one continued to be invested in the company) would be highly unusual and a major red flag. I just don't see it happening here.
Unless we have new ownership, I think it is entirely possible that Buono is asked to assist with the choice of a successor. Not sure there is anyone else with a similar resume in the structure as it stands. That is why I wishfully hope that Braley sells this team and a new owner goes a new direction. Not going to happen but if we are looking for a real regime change, we aren't going to get it with Wally involved in the succession. As it stands, it's his house and if there anything that he has demonstrated over the years consistently is that he very dogged in his approach to all matters football and seems to think that his methods are beyond reproach despite a lot of results which say otherwise.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
mountaincat
Rookie

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:24 am
mountaincat wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:
No, I was thinking that Wally was going to retire all the way, thus better to let a new GM hopefully with a decidedly updated perspective go shopping for a new coach.
my bad, i misunderstood what you were saying.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

maxlion wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:58 pm
DanoT wrote:
maxlion wrote:

Here is something to consider: Normally when a GM hires a HC he leaves the hiring of the rest of the coaching staff entirely up to the new HC. But that is not what happened when GM Wally hired HC Tedford in 2015. Mark Washington got to keep his DC job and while Khari Jones lost his OC he was kept on as QB coach.

Both moves where highly unusual but somehow not that surprising and this is what leads me to speculate how Wally's last days as the Lion King (I'm NOT the first one to use that term) will end.
maxlion
Legend

Regardless of anyone's opinions on Buono, I expect that most or all diehard Lions are agreed that it is time for Bradley to sell and for a fresh start for the organization. It's been time to look towards the future for a few years now. Dragging it on for another year would be disastrous for the franchise.