TiCats -- Jones as HC; Briles X; Manziel X; Austin sued by Cornell

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/08/30/report-ti ... y-manziel/
CFL.ca Staff

HAMILTON — Kent Austin says no deal is imminent between the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and former Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Johnny Manziel.

"We're not interested in signing Johnny right now." "We worked out 10 players in the same area, Johnny being one of them."
Good. IMO. Not what the TiCats and the CFL need: another troubled player.
Austin, the Ticats’ vice-president of football operations, answered questions on Wednesday after reports surfaced that Manziel worked out for the team a week ago in Buffalo in front of coaches and front-office personnel.

The TSN report said that Manziel was put through a series of physical and medical tests during the team’s bye week on Aug. 23 and 24, which Austin has since confirmed.

“Johnny did some good things,” said Austin. “On the field, he looked fine. It was a short workout but he’s obviously a talented kid.

“We’re not interested in signing Johnny right now,” he added. “That won’t happen, that’s not imminent.”
Art Briles apparently has a connection to Manziel, which could have aided in getting a contract. OMG ... Desperation in Place Ville TiCat.
The Ticats revealed back in March that Manziel is on the team’s exclusive negotiating list. According to TSN, the Ticats will retain Manziel’s rights — then, should Manziel’s side declare an interest in signing, the Ticats would have 10 days to either sign him or move his rights.
How would the media and fans react if he was signed? Not good to go after Manziel at this time.
Ticats GM Eric Tillman gushed about his potential several months ago, describing him as a player of ‘extraordinary gifts’.

“A terrific athlete, a guy that can dunk a basketball,” started Tillman. “Flat-footed, has huge hands. The guy’s just Houdini with the football — just an innate ability to escape.”
Yee Haw ... Endorsed by Tillman.
“If that doesn’t happen, we think he’s a guy that’s just electric, that could be one of the most exciting players in the Canadian Football League since Doug Flutie,” said Tillman. “He makes throws. Up here he could utilize every inch in the width of our field.

“He’s just going to be a dynamic player in Canada if he comes.”
Yee Haw again.

Manziel did some good things in college. Washed out in the NFL. Bring him to Canada? Let's see ...

* If he can play well up here. IMO the jury is out on that.

* Would he stay out of trouble? IMO the jury is out on that.

* If he played great up here (this fan has doubts), he would leave for the NFL as fast as he could get clearance and airline tickets. Thank you very much. But that does not mean an NFL team would be interested.

Please, No.

Just IMO. Others would like to see him up here.

Too tough an opinion? Sorry ... It's just an opinion.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
CardiacKid
Legend

From what I have read in regards to Manziel, the guy is functionally illiterate. He doesn't read the playbook, much less attempt to understand it or memorize it.

He is waaaay too accustomed to continually winging it and making stuff up on the fly. And that will only get you so far.

The true definition of having a million $ arm and a 10-cent head. And after the Briles nonsense, the TiCats apparently need to get a baby-sitter for their CEO and HC. Why get one for an adolescent QB?

Sorry but I have little to no patience for punk-ass man-children who can't be bothered to grow up and piss away their opportunity to do good in life. Maybe guys like Manziel are not meant to occupy golden thrones and when they crap in their own nest, that is just life telling them they need to figure out where they truly belong.

My 2-bits...maybe more opinionated than necessary but I don't want the CFL to become an air-bag for these guys that go off the rails.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Isn't Hamilton in a world of hurt right now without adding Manziel to their troubles ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The physical ability to run and throw the football is meaningless without mental toughness. Many gifted athletes have wasted their talents because they lacked the heart and mind to succeed as professionals.
mountaincat
Rookie

CardiacKid wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:02 pm
My 2-bits...maybe more opinionated than necessary but I don't want the CFL to become an air-bag for these guys that go off the rails.
your criticism is bang-on... manziel has proven repeatedly especially in the last couple years that he is a total clown.

that guys like him get consideration for a starter role in this league while promising canadians like brandon bridge languish on the bench just makes me sad.
South Pender
Legend

Saw this piece today by Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk about the possibility of Hamilton maintaining interest in Johnny Manziel. He thinks that, once the Art Briles uproar subsides, the Ticats will get serious about Manziel.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -interest/

Florio's last sentence is interesting: that if Colin Kaepernick fails to land an NFL job, we may see him in Canada. Unlike Manziel, who I doubt would be very successful in the CFL, Kaepernick would, I think, be very successful. He has the arm and the mobility to shine on the larger field, along with good work ethic and experience. Frankly, I doubt that we'll see Kaepernick up here, given his skill level and the possibility of NFL starting QBs going down to injury creating an urgent need at the position, but if we did, I think he'd be a tremendous asset.

On another note, the NFL cuts will come this Saturday, when teams must cut rosters from 90 to 53. Unlike in previous years, where rosters were cut from 90 players to 75 part-way through the preseason, this year teams have been able to keep 90 until the end of the preseason. So, starting in a couple of days (if not before), there should be over 1000 players looking for work. I hope that our Lions are seriously dialed-in on this.
maxlion
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:32 pm
The physical ability to run and throw the football is meaningless without mental toughness. Many gifted athletes have wasted their talents because they lacked the heart and mind to succeed as professionals.
Exactly. This, in a nutshell, is why so many ex-NFLers wash out in Canada. And, conversely, also why many successful CFLers would be successful in the NFL if given a fair opportunity.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I could see Kapernick succeed in the CFL over a troubled Manziel. Isn't he also on Ticat neg list? If so, who isn't on their list? WTF.

I see no link to not moving on Manziel to the Briles controversy. If Manziel looked 30% ready to ignite an offence and was willing - he'd be signed ASAP.

I know they say TSN got it wrong but Farhan is someone who is rarely (IMO) wrong on the inside scoop.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/manziel-not ... on~1197979

I wonder who Dave Naylor - who loves the idea of Manziel - will speak to now?

At the end of the day if you look at top CFL QBs - other than Doug Flutie - it's been years since an ex NFL QB was successful in the CFL.

Not only do you have to the ability and aptitude to play the CFL game you have to WANT to be here to be effective.

That is why I look at the Boyko talk with skepticism as I see a player who will be NFL or go different something else.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Flute rekindled his NFL career after 8 seasons here. He was pretty much a bust with Chicago pre CFL. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
South Pender
Legend

Ballistic Bob wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:59 am
Flute rekindled his NFL career after 8 seasons here. He was pretty much a bust with Chicago pre CFL. BB
Flutie only played 5 games with the Bears. However, after the Bears, he played 17 games, over 3 years, with the Patriots just before coming to the Lions. His passing completion percentage with the Patriots was a pretty dismal 48%, with 11 TDs to 13 Ints. In his first year with the Lions, his passing was no hell, either, putting up a completion percentage of only 52.8%, with 16 TDs and 19 Ints. He did bring some dynamism to the Lions, though, rushing for 662 yards--8.38 yds./carry--in that first year here.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://3downnation.com/2017/08/30/corne ... in-report/
Cornell University suing Ticats VP Kent Austin: report

Posted on August 30, 2017 by Drew Edwards // 67 Comments

Cornell University is suing Hamilton Tiger-Cats vice president of football operations Kent Austin for $100,000 over his departure in 2012, according to the Cornell Daily Sun.

And the Ticats may have purchased his house in New York State.

The story says Austin’s five-year, $1.4 million deal with the university, where he served as head coach for three seasons beginning in 2010, included a penalty clause if he departed before the contract’s scheduled expiration in January, 2015.

Austin left to join the Ticats in December, 2012.

The story says that Austin was allowed by the university’s athletic director to delay the payment until after the sale of his property in Cayuga Heights, a suburb just outside Ithaca, New York where Cornell University is based.

Austin ultimately broke even on the Cayuga Heights house, selling it in April 2016 for the same price he paid — $630,000 — although the sale raises more questions than answers.

The buyer, listed on the deed as HTCFC, Inc., appears to be a parent company for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats — Austin’s employer. The incorporation is a North Carolina business corporation formed in 2003 whose president is Robert Young, owner of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, according to documents filed with the North Carolina Secretary of State.

Less than eight months after making the purchase, HTCFC sold the Cayuga Heights property at a loss of $170,000 to a man from West Palm Beach, Florida, deeds show.

The university filed suit on Tuesday seeking the $100,000, as well as nine percent interest and costs associated with the lawsuit.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I'd suspect that this suit of Austin is about Cornell U believing the sale of the Austin home to the parent company of the Ticats followed by a loss from the sale of this home some time later was a way to avoid paying that promised $100000.

When things go bad for him they really go bad.

I wonder how he can justify his own role not coaching and not GM'ng going forward as they now have to pay a new HC. June Jones is just to the end of the year so we could see a return of Austin but it would be tough if this guy starts getting a number of wins.

Eric Tillman is a proven CFL GM and Austin is being paid as a VP, GM sort of and HC.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:33 pm
I'd suspect that this suit of Austin is about Cornell U believing the sale of the Austin home to the parent company of the Ticats followed by a loss from the sale of this home some time later was a way to avoid paying that promised $100000.

I wonder how he can justify his own role not coaching and not GM'ng going forward as they now have to pay a new HC. June Jones is just to the end of the year so we could see a return of Austin but it would be tough if this guy starts getting a number of wins.

Eric Tillman is a proven CFL GM and Austin is being paid as a VP, GM sort of and HC.
Come the end of the season, I think the TiCats should dump team president Scott Mitchell.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Come the end of the season, I think the TiCats should dump team president Scott Mitchell.
Along with Kent Austin and a few others.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:09 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:33 pm

Mitchell is in charge of the business side of the Ticats, which seems to be doing fine despite their on-field struggles. Austin and Tillman are in charge of the football side, including personnel and coaching, which is where they have been weakest.