TiCats -- Jones as HC; Briles X; Manziel X; Austin sued by Cornell

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

aklawitter
All Star

and the gongshow continues in Hamilton...

June Jones has hired Art Briles (I'm assuming with the approval of Austin/Tillman/Young), who was fired from Baylor University amidst a large-scale sexual assault scandal. Briles is alleged to have turned a blind eye and even helped cover up multiple instances of his players committing heinous sex crimes.
CardiacKid
Legend

This business with Briles has a lot of folks upset and is a head scratcher. I don't follow NCAA but I have to believe there are some other qualified guys who would be available to assist the coaching staff in Hamilton.

It flies in the face of CFL endeavours in regards to their social works and is, IMO, in flagrant disregard of what the everyday Joe and Jane wants from sports organizations. Namely adhere to the law as it is written and enforced for all; no more acting as above or outside the law.

At this rather difficult juncture, the TiCats need to think of maintaining their reputation. Sometimes that is all you have.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

June Jones sort of reminds me of Jeff Tedford in thinking/demeanour and he has just this year to go.

Briles makes little sense (forgetting the disgusting Baylor situation for the moment) other than Dave Naylor connecting Briles and both of Robert Griffin III and Manziel.

This has all the earmarks of the HC going into the coaching Witness Protection Program only to reemerge post season as 'the best person to coach this club.'

Briles looks exactly like the guy Collaros is escaping from this year.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Give a second chance at life and employment? Yes.

But not in such a high profile, community-oriented organization that should represent good values. Is this a statement that trying to win is more important than moral/legal issues?

Assistant Head Coach. Yikes.

Does it tarnish the TiCats? Yeah.

Does it tarnish the CFL? Yeah.

Does it tarnish Canada? Yeah.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

2017-08-28_1730_001.png
2017-08-28_1731.png
2017-08-28_1731_001.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I have already emailed the Lions community relations department telling them that I planned on attending the TiCats at BC on Sept 22, but I will not be buying a ticket if Art Briles is a TiCat coach.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

2017-08-28_1734.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The_Pauser
Legend

What's next? OJ Simpson to be hired as RB coach?
Roar you Lions roar!
aklawitter
All Star

and now it has been announced that Art Briles will NOT be joining the Ticats organization

good, that creep has no business being anywhere near this great league
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good for Ambrosie. Decisive.

aklawitter
All Star

June Jones' personal buddy hire. Defended by Ticats CEO Scott Mitchell. "Good man caught up in a bad situation." Unfathomable.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:33 pm
Decisive??? Presumably the CFL head office new about the hire in advance and did not initially stop it...reactive is what I would call it.

In his interview with 3DownNation, TiCat President Scott Mitchell must have used the phrase "second chance" a dozen times. However Briles being fired only 15 months ago and civil lawsuits still pending means that the situation and repercussions are far from behind Briles.

Thankfully the TiCat's mistake has been corrected but should never have been allowed to happen in the first place. I guess the TiCats and the CFL head office have heard about the CFL's "Stop the Violence Against Women" campaign, but they just seem to have trouble figured out how to apply it
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:32 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Decisive??? Presumably the CFL head office new about the hire in advance and did not initially stop it...reactive is what I would call it.

In his interview with 3DownNation, TiCat President Scott Mitchell must have used the phrase "second chance" a dozen times. However Briles being fired only 15 months ago and civil lawsuits still pending means that the situation and repercussions are far from behind Briles.

Thankfully the TiCat's mistake has been corrected but should never have been allowed to happen in the first place. I guess the TiCats and the CFL head office have heard about the CFL's "Stop the Violence Against Women" campaign, but they just seem to have trouble figured out how to apply it
You say presumably, as in, don't know.

Decisive? We heard about it on Lionbackers at 2:21 pm. Outrage expressed. By 5:22 pm we hear on Lionbackers that the hiring will no longer take place.

That is decisive IMO.

Reactive? Whatever ...

Does the CFL office approve/disapprove coaching hires? I have doubts, but I do not know.

Does the CFL office know about coaching hires in advance? I doubt that too, but I do not know.

This CFL fan is happy we will not see Art Briles up here.

2017-08-28_1734.png

CardiacKid
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:32 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:

About the Tiger-Cats, ignorant and arrogant come to mind. Also tone-deaf and self-centred. Maybe even desperate or lazy. None of which is an excuse for giving the fans, the league and its players what is essentially the middle-finger.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:00 pm

About the Tiger-Cats, ignorant and arrogant come to mind. Also tone-deaf and self-centred. Maybe even desperate or lazy. None of which is an excuse for giving the fans, the league and its players what is essentially the middle-finger.
Yes re the TiCat organization.

I was not going to mention this, because it is also controversial and distasteful, but they also brought in Eric Tillman. I know some felt that "second chance" was deserved, but this fan did not, after his guilty plea for sexual assault on a babysitter.