TiCats -- Jones as HC; Briles X; Manziel X; Austin sued by Cornell

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:56 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_and_shoot_offense

http://www.footballxos.com/free-footbal ... and-shoot/

http://www.xsosfootball.com/run-n-shoot-offense-101/

I coached against the Run and Shoot offence in the early 1980s. Mouse Davis was one of the developers of it. 11 man football of course.

I recall that it got your attention. It required adjustments by the D in practice before the game. If it caught you by surprise you would have trouble. The notes are long gone, but I seem to recall we had to lock on to the receivers, even if they went in motion across the backfield. Switching caused problems. And I think going empty backfield was an option which needed defensive preparation as well.

Old style linebackers would be in trouble trying to cover fast WRs.

I expect it had a strong influence on the CFL passing game.
You could say that. Mouse Davis was OC for the Argos in 1982, and in one year they went from being a 2-14 basket case to playing in the Grey Cup (and winning it the following year).
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good decision by the league. Hamilton is the currently the laughing stock of the CFL
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:56 pm

You could say that. Mouse Davis was OC for the Argos in 1982, and in one year they went from being a 2-14 basket case to playing in the Grey Cup (and winning it the following year).
I do not know how the patterns and plays were integrated into the CFL game. My exposure was in 11 man football.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

A bit mind boggling that they would have considered this hiring under the circumstances. Are members of the coaching fraternity just that dumb?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:09 pm
Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:56 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:56 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_and_shoot_offense

http://www.footballxos.com/free-footbal ... and-shoot/

http://www.xsosfootball.com/run-n-shoot-offense-101/

I coached against the Run and Shoot offence in the early 1980s. Mouse Davis was one of the developers of it. 11 man football of course.

I recall that it got your attention. It required adjustments by the D in practice before the game. If it caught you by surprise you would have trouble. The notes are long gone, but I seem to recall we had to lock on to the receivers, even if they went in motion across the backfield. Switching caused problems. And I think going empty backfield was an option which needed defensive preparation as well.

Old style linebackers would be in trouble trying to cover fast WRs.

I expect it had a strong influence on the CFL passing game.
I do not know how the patterns and plays were integrated into the CFL game. My exposure was in 11 man football.
Let me throw in one bit of trivia regarding the 1982 Argos. They of course had Condredge Holloway and Joe Barnes as quarterbacks, but guess who their third string QB was, though the record shows he only appeared in one game? Hint: first and last names begin with J.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:32 pm

Let me throw in one bit of trivia regarding the 1982 Argos. They of course had Condredge Holloway and Joe Barnes as quarterbacks, but guess who their third string QB was, though the record shows he only appeared in one game? Hint: first and last names begin with J.
June Jones. It's in the list of websites I referenced above, or a related one I looked at when he was hired in Hamilton. Mouse Davis is referenced too.

11 man football to 12. Integration of the run and shoot. How did the patterns (and defensive coverages) fit into CFL football? We might see some evidence of it with Jones in Hamilton.

2017-08-28_2135.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:23 pm
A bit mind boggling that they would have considered this hiring under the circumstances. Are members of the coaching fraternity just that dumb?
I am not sure if "dumb" is exactly the right word but regardless, the coaching fraternity is an old boys network made up of guys who at one time were gifted athletes and accustom to receiving special privileges and that "close ranks and protect each other" culture still exists. They are out of touch with how the public views this sort of thing.
Tighthead
Legend

I wonder if he had signed his contract? Would be costly for Hamilton.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:17 pm
Sir Purrcival wrote:
I am not sure if "dumb" is exactly the right word but regardless, the coaching fraternity is an old boys network made up of guys who at one time were gifted athletes and accustom to receiving special privileges and that "close ranks and protect each other" culture still exists. They are out of touch with how the public views this sort of thing.
Do you think it was just the decision of one man (Jones)? If so I guess I can see how a person who may not have appreciated the seriousness of the issue may have misjudged the situation. If however, there were more than one person involved in the decision making, then the decision rises to myopic. I can see no upside to this kind of choice and I am just a layman. Common sense needs to prevail. Fortunately, it did eventually but it is regrettable that it had to come from outside the franchise first.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:17 pm
Sir Purrcival wrote:
There is "IQ Dumb" and then there is "EI (emotional intelligence) Dumb". I suspect one or several of the TiCat brain trust are EI Dumb.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/naylor-ambr ... es~1196833

From Dave Naylor ...

Ambrosie drove to Hamilton on Monday night. He was successful in convincing the TiCats to not hire Art Briles.

Normally the league does not approve or reject coaching contracts.

In other news Naylor says the Ticats are interested in Robert Griffin III and Johnny Manziel. :dizzy: It seems Briles has a connection with those players.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/jones-on-br ... me~1197228

From another media clip: Jones says he and Briles go back 40 years.

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Ahh, then it is the buddies network at play.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Pretty clear that no one did anything bad here maliciously.

BUT what Briles did in not acting should ban him forever at the college level. Now he knows what he'll have to do to get redemption after this debacle here.

1. June Jones (who practices second chances) and now HC wanted to bring in his own coach - Briles. See video, Briles and he are friends. Cats can hardly deny the HC his staff but ...

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/naylor-ambr ... es~1196833

2. Ticats did their own research as to Briles' role in all this horrible stuff with the team and found people speaking in favour of this guy so they figure as an assistant and in pro this isn't going to be an issue.

3. Commissioner drives to Hamilton to suggest the Cats not hire and commish is not sure of the power - if any - to nix a coach like they can players.

4. Public outrage as this issue with Baylor is ongoing and Briles (while not under suit himself anymore) is still stuck in the morass.

5. Briles exits with a message that suggests he knows now what he has to do to work even in pro football.

See TSN videos Scott Mitchell and June Junes.

They've done their mea culpas and time to move on with Masoli the starter. Zach wont be happy but it's best for him and Austin should have made that move before and clearly to me that alone was one reason to get Austin out of that role.

While this mess brings up the Tillman issue on sites like 3DownNation many forget that he was granted an ABSOLUTE DISCHARGE for pulling the girl (a long time family friend) by the belt loops toward him. She thought nothing of it but told a gf and it escalated from there. I've spoken to lawyers who thought the charges were ridiculous with the courts so backed up. Finally the Supreme Court of Canada has ruled on specific timelines and due to backlogs including Regina killers and major drug dealers continue to be let off their charges.

EDIT: Turns out Briles had a letter from the University that cleared him from some of the egregious claims like he played players he knew were rape complainants etc. Now the complaint is that he hasn't publicly 'fessed up to his role or lack thereof - and some of this silence is no doubt based on cases going and the fact that he had to work himself out of some of the lawsuits to be dropped as a defendant.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/briles-poss ... nt~1197530
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
South Pender
Legend

Saw this on Pro Football Talk about the Ticats' interest in Johnny Manziel:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... red-flags/

Although not directly related, I agree with those who saw Hamilton's hiring of Tillman as an example--among several--of very poor judgement by the Ticats organization. This is not the kind of guy you want in a prominent position in sports, or in any organization. Some misdemeanors can be overlooked, but, in my opinion, this kind of offense is particularly odious.