Lions at Redblacks Aug. 26, 2017

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

'Husband is a big loss. I think we can count him as a Dan Dorazio success story. International tackles this year, not so much. Crossing the fingers with Johnson and Palmer. Foucault draws in as backup guard'. WCJ

Cody Husband was an undrafted offensive lineman who joined the Tiger Cats in a reserve role.

Husband Cody dressed for 4 games and started one for us in 2014 under Dorazio and Khari Jones.

Dorazio and Jones only dressed Husband for a total of 4 games and started him for one game for us in 2014.

In 2015, under new offensive line coach Doug Malone, Cody Husband was developed into a starter for the first time in his career, after recovering from an injury at training camp. Husband started the last 8 games for us in 2015 at right guard and also started in the West-Semi-Final.

Our Leos signed Tim O'Neil to be our starting centre for 2016, with Husband slated as the backup center. But Husband played so well at training camp that he became our starting center for Game 1 last season and has been our starting center ever since.

Dorazio did not turn Husband, a perennial backup or practice roster for most of his career into a starter over a short training camp. Malone had worked with Husband for over a year and that was the key to his development. He became starter material due to Malone, not Dorazio.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:00 pm
'Husband is a big loss. I think we can count him as a Dan Dorazio success story. International tackles this year, not so much. Crossing the fingers with Johnson and Palmer. Foucault draws in as backup guard'. WCJ

Cody Husband was an undrafted offensive lineman who joined the Tiger Cats in a reserve role.

Husband Cody dressed for 4 games and started one for us in 2014 under Dora Hamilton.

Dorazio and Jones only dressed Husband for a total of 4 games and started one game for us in 2014, under Dorazio and Jones. .

In 2015, under new offensive line coach Doug Malone, Cody Husband was developed into a starter for the first time in his career, after recovering from an injury at training camp. Husband started the last 8 games for us in 2015 at right guard and also started in the West-Semi-Final.

Our Leos signed Tim O'Neil to be our starting centre for 2016, with Husband slated as the backup center. But Husband played so well at training camp that he became our starting center for Game 1 last season and has been our starting center ever since.

Dorazio did not turn Husband, a perennial backup or practice roster for most of his career into a starter over a short training camp. Malone had worked with Husband for over a year and that was the key to his development. He became starter material due to Malone, not Dorazio.
I've been trying to speak well of Dorazio. Gheez, Blitz. LOL

I liked Doug Malone very much as the OL coach. I was sad to see him go. Very sad. That year I thought our OL focused on simple, powerful, effective play.

I do think Dorazio deserves some credit too for Husband. So Husband got some starts at guard prior to last year, having arrived here, undrafted, prior to Doug Malone taking over as OL coach. And then last year, suddenly he earns the starting spot at centre at Training Camp. Then he plays very, very well. Looking on from afar, this fan will give Dorazio some credit. Indeed, I would count Husband as a centre as one of Dorazio's success stories, however many those might be.

Success stories: Rob Murphy for sure. Jimenez was effective although a dangerous, dirty player IMO. Reid carried on with his effective play under Dorazio. Bates was good. Sherko was good. Any on this list drafted and developed by Dorazio? Ummm, no. His best guys IMO were ex-NFL guys who brought significant skills, acquired in college and the NFL prior to their time in the CFL.

Dorazio was here when we drafted Steward. Even Andrew Jones, although he blossomed somewhat after he left. Dorazio was here when we drafted Vaillancourt and Fabien. (Failed draft picks with Dorazio as OL coach? Numerous.)

Olafioye was recruited and reached top level performance under Dorazio.

Heck, I have been more critical of Dan Dorazio than just about anybody. But I am off that tack now. No point, as I see it. Any frequent, long time readers know what I have posted over the years. I try now to go easy on him, and recognize some achievements.

Criticism of Dan Dorazio for his methods, draft picks, and performance of the OLine, I will not go into at this time. He has been here with Wally since 2003, with one year off in Regina.

No one works harder or longer than Dan Dorazio. At times, under him, we have had very vigorous ground games. Pass protection has very often been poor.

Issues with the team this year are considerable. O Line is one of them.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
David
Team Captain

KEYS TO THE GAME:

* Time to renew the run game. What better way to get our ground game in order than feeding the rock to JJ24, who was woefully underused last week against Calgary. He'll be extra motivated to play against his old team and seems to play even better when he is emotionally involved. With so many changes on the O-line, pass protection may be an issue too.

* Build Jennings' confidence. I don't want to see us go deep on the first series like we're want to do. Jennings doesn't have to try and win the game with one throw. Start with short and intermediate passes to get JJ feeling good about his game and 'shaking off the rust' as he puts it.

* Start strong. We don't seem to fair too well in afternoon games in the Eastern time zone. Get Ottawa second guessing themselves at home and try to take the crowd out of it.

* Will communication be an issue in our secondary? I actually like our defensive backfield with Lee and Gaitor back, but guys will be playing out of their normal positions (Purifoy starts at strong side half-back for example). A smart quarterback like Trevor Harris will surely exploit miscues back there, especially to try and create mismatches with Elllingson. Hopefully we can confuse him like we did Mitchell last week.

* More Rainey please! Good things seem to happen when we put the ball in his hands.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

With the Saskatchewan win tonight, it's a must game for the Lions.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Better starts offensively is an understatement. Points generated by the Lions in the first half this season with Jennings at QB:

Week 1: Edmonton 5
Week 2: Toronto 7
Week 3: Montreal 6
Week: 8: Saskatchewan 0
Week: 9: Calgary 8

The 7 against Toronto came on the game's opening drive. As we know the 8 against the Stamps was in the final 2 minutes of the half.

Not saying it's Jennings fault but these numbers are shocking. Last thing on my mind entering this season was seeing this offence struggle to this level to open ball games.

That win by the Riders last night rocked the West.
Back to back dominant performances within their division. Suddenly Lions are looking in their rearview mirror. Piling up wins against the East (3-0) and struggling in the West (2-4) has caught up with them. I hope the trend continues for the next couple of games but that loss to a sub-par Calgary team last week is stinging even more, never mind being swept by an Eskimos team that is clearly not that invincible.

12:30 kickoff in BC on a beautiful day in one of the last weekends of the summer. Won't be holding my breath to see the local TV numbers for this one. :sigh:
Rammer
Team Captain

Time set the stage for a complete sweep of the Eastern Division. That may be the key for the Eastern crossover that the Lions need to push towards. The Riders coming up hard and holding the season series may prove to be the potential upset to the crossover seeding the Lions have fallen into.

This is a must win game now, plain and simple just to hold their own for a willdcard position. Losing two of four tie breakers so far really puts the pressure now, with the remaining two tie beakers still to be determined, and one unrealistically to come into play.

In Jennings we trust, but I expect with the mounting pressure to produce wins, his leash is as short as it will ever be. Lions can not afford to fall behind due to the offense, a real possibility given the Lions production in the first halves of games with Jennings at the helm.

Go Lions.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

No Nick Moore again today. I recall the play where he got injured. He caught the ball and looked to take a knee in the back, although it looked fairly innocent.

No Maurice Morgan either. He was quietly released earlier in the week. Too many busts but he never played receiver in college....not sure what they were expecting.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

Been hanging at TD Place now for about an hour and I have to say the atmosphere kicks the * out of anything I have witnessed at BC Place for a long time. It is night and day different to what we experience back home.
Sad actually when you think of it....
Huge Talent
Starter

Cardiac, are you on that operation orange trip? My goal is to watch a CFL game in every stadium in the league. Got a ways to go, but there is time :) Glad to hear the atmosphere is great in our capitol. Makes it seem all that more worthwhile of a mission
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The PA announcer is irritating
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions off to another slow start
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions got a big break as Sinopoli dropped the ball
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Penalty allowed Ottawa to kick another firld goal. Inexcusable
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Jenning throws another interception
Huge Talent
Starter

Getting outplayed is getting irritating. Missed tackles, dumb penalties, sloppy offense... Jennings has to be on a short leash now.