Lions at Redblacks Aug. 26, 2017

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions play an early game on Saturday in Ottawa so we might as well start the preview/game thread early.

According to LU, the Lions will make lots of lineup changes for this one due to injuries, the recovery of injured players and performance issues.

The good news is that Bryan Burnham and Nick Moore are expected back in the receiving corps. Their absence hurt the offence in the past two weeks. We can expect Jonathon Jennings to throw the ball downfield with confidence that all his weapons are fully loaded.

The bad news is that Cody Husband is expected to miss the game, so Charles Vaillancourt is expected to slide over to centre, while a still-ailing Hunter Steward draws back into the starting lineup at LG. Those two players filled in admirably in those roles when Husband was first injured so there is reason for optimism but this this offensive line doesn't need more juggling, especially with the loss of one of its most steady performers.

On defence, three changes are expected in the secondary. T.J. Lee comes off the injured list to reclaim his boundary halfback spot, Loucheiz Purifoy switches sides to field halfback and Anthony Gaitor slides outside to replace the ineffective Steven Clarke. The field side of the secondary has been the Lions' greatest defensive weakness for two seasons. Purifoy played his best football of the season when he was replacing Lee at boundary halfback so the Lions might benefit from this switch but there is great potential for confusion among Gaitor, Purifoy and safety Anthony Thompson, as there was in the early part of the season when those players occupied different roles on the same side of the field.

Lions hope Burnham’s return a spark
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Mike reilly is my favorite QB since Flutie. Last year, Jennings was number 3 behind Burris and Reilly. This year has been disappointing. I was never a greater fan of Lulay than I have been this year. If Wally insists on playing Jennings ahead of a healthy Lulay, if he is healthy, then he is more senile than I am.

cmon JJ, prove me wrong....please.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Blitz
Team Captain

Ottawa is preparing for either Leos quarterback.

Word from the left coast is the B.C. Lions might be a third consecutive loss away from a full-blown quarterback controversy.

And the Ottawa Redblacks would like nothing better than to provide the impetus for such unrest.

The Redblacks have no preference as to whether it’s struggling Jonathon Jennings running the Lions’ offence or veteran Travis Lulay come Saturday at TD Place.

Redblacks head coach Rick Campbell isn’t making any special preparations to face either.

“We’re just planning for B.C.,” said Campbell. “No matter who it is, they will be running (B.C.’s) offence. And they’re actually quite similar.

“Travis uses his feet a lot and he can throw from the pocket. Same with (Jennings). He has a very good arm and he can really improvise back there.

“We have to be aware of that no matter who is in there.”

Lulay ranks ninth among CFL passers, Jennings 10th.

Their problems have been interceptions, with 12 combined.

Redblacks need win over Lions with possibility of playoff crossover looming...
In terms of the longer range plan for our Leos, will it be Mark Washington as HC or Benny coming back? Yippee!!

Skulsky also all but confirmed the club expects Buono, whose contract runs out Jan. 31, will not be back, which also has been widely assumed. “It’s going to be a heck of a job replacing the legend. This is in the sight lines of Mr. Braley and Wally is an integral part of the process,” Skulsky said.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
David
Team Captain

I actually don't think it's potentially as hard replacing Buono as Skulsky and some members of the media make it out to be. We have loads of talent here in BC. Look what Edmonton has done with Maas. Toronto is a better team with Trestman. The key is hiring the right guy, letting him do his thing, and getting the players to buy in.

Don't get me wrong. Wally runs good organizations, is (rightfully) well respected, and has an undeniable eye for talent and players' 'best before' date. But it's not like we're losing a master strategist or anything.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/lions-hope-burnham-s- ... k-1.837525
Skulsky also all but confirmed the club expects Buono, whose contract runs out Jan. 31, will not be back, which also has been widely assumed. “It’s going to be a heck of a job replacing the legend. This is in the sight lines of Mr. Braley and Wally is an integral part of the process,” Skulsky said.
If Wally retires ...

It would seem likely to this CFL fan that Wally would strongly advocate for Mark Washington to be the next Head Coach.

Not my first choice. Nor my second. I don't think he has shown the capacity to light a fire in a defence. Has he created an identity for our defence? Are we a team that gets after the quarterback? I don't think so. Are we a team of ballhawks? I don't think so. Are we an attack-oriented defence (not that everybody would want that)? I don't think so. Are we a "try to play it safe" defence? Seems like it to me.

I think Mark W has gathered a group of outstanding DBs. But it also seems that they are often confused in their assignments.

The entire defence generally plays hard. But they never seem to dominate an offence. Certainly our D Line does not dominate O Lines.

Could our D play like gangbusters from here on in? I would have to say it is unlikely. It is extremely unlikely that Brooks or Turner will play at an All-Star level. Roh might get some nods, as he has had a pretty solid year. Solly is as good as it gets at MLB.

If you are not outstanding as a DC, are you likely to be an outstanding Head Coach? Dunno about that ...

Too early to speculate? Never too early.

Just IMO ...

Who else is out there? Paul LaPolice? He is doing a great job as OC with the Bombers. His won/loss record as HC with the Bombers was not good. 16 Ws, 28 Ls.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
South Pender
Legend

Just a question about the departure of Buono: Is he expected leave as both coach and GM or just as coach? I'm guessing the former, and, if true, wouldn't the new GM be the appropriate one to name a new HC? I agree with WCJ here that Mark Washington lacks the stature to take over as HC. Same for Khari Jones.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:29 pm
Just a question about the departure of Buono: Is he expected leave as both coach and GM or just as coach? I'm guessing the former, and, if true, wouldn't the new GM be the appropriate one to name a new HC? I agree with WCJ here that Mark Washington lacks the stature to take over as HC. Same for Khari Jones.
SP, I moved my post to the game day thread (here) as I see Blitz and David have commented on this issue.

I will move these two posts over in a few minutes. (Done.)
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

maxlion
Legend

We're a team that lead the league in sacks last year and then made significant changes to try to increase the number of interceptions but, as a result, showed a bad tendency of giving up big plays. Not a typical description of a "play it safe" defence.

It's pointless to speculate on who Wally might want as a coach if Wally isn't the GM. Wally might be part of the hiring process for a new GM, but highly doubt his influence would extend to selecting a new coach.

McEvoy would likely be one of the front runners for GM. Not too many other candidates spring to mind.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:49 pm
We're a team that lead the league in sacks last year and then made significant changes to try to increase the number of interceptions but, as a result, showed a bad tendency of giving up big plays. Not a typical description of a "play it safe" defence.

It's pointless to speculate on who Wally might want as a coach if Wally isn't the GM. Wally might be part of the hiring process for a new GM, but highly doubt his influence would extend to selecting a new coach.

McEvoy would likely be one of the front runners for GM. Not too many other candidates spring to mind.
Oh yes, max. I would vote for Neil McAvoy as the next GM. :thup:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:24 pm
(Re Mark W as next HC) Not my first choice. Nor my second. I don't think he has shown the capacity to light a fire in a defence. Has he created an identity for our defence? Are we a team that gets after the quarterback? I don't think so. Are we a team of ballhawks? I don't think so. Are we an attack-oriented defence (not that everybody would want that)? I don't think so. Are we a "try to play it safe" defence? Seems like it to me.
"Play it safe" defence? ...

* Soft zone.

* Minimal blitzing.

* Few overloads at the LOS.

* Not much stunting at the LOS.

* Minimal motion at the LOS.

* Deep drops by the DBs.

* And let us not forget the LB as a second deep safety with Adam Bighill.

Added later ...

* Players not changing positions in DL

* Few or no fake blitzes

* No switching things up - big drops to tight MTM

* We don't try to confuse with different looks

* IMO we have a contain type DL, not an attack type DL, not overpowering

Just IMO.

maxlion
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:58 pm
maxlion wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:49 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:24 pm
Not my first choice. Nor my second. I don't think he has shown the capacity to light a fire in a defence. Has he created an identity for our defence? Are we a team that gets after the quarterback? I don't think so. Are we a team of ballhawks? I don't think so. Are we an attack-oriented defence (not that everybody would want that)? I don't think so. Are we a "try to play it safe" defence? Seems like it to me.
"Play it safe" defence? ...

* Soft zone.

* Minimal blitzing.

* Few overloads at the LOS.

* Not much stunting at the LOS.

* Deep drops by the DBs.

* And let us not forget the LB as a second deep safety with Adam Bighill.

Just IMO.
We're in agreement that the defense is not very good.

We are second in the league in interceptions, so it would seem that the changes made to increase interceptions have had some impact. Giving up big plays--which we are worst in the league at--would also seem to be more a characteristic of an aggressive rather than soft zone defense. We have slipped in number of sacks, but are best in the league at stopping the run. It would seem that there is a statistical basis in stating that we are an aggressive defense, at least in some key respects.

I don't really care if the defense is aggressive or not, only whether it consistently plays well enough to give us a good chance to win.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

In terms of the longer range plan for our Leos, will it be Mark Washington as HC or Benny coming back? Yippee!!
Hopefully neither. We need a fresh start.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:24 pm
Giving up big plays--which we are worst in the league at--would also seem to be more a characteristic of an aggressive rather than soft zone defense. We have slipped in number of sacks, but are best in the league at stopping the run. It would seem that there is a statistical basis in stating that we are an aggressive defense, at least in some key respects.
It's a confused zone defence. Just watch Gaitor, Thompson and Purifoy look at each other after a receiver runs a deep corner route with no one covering that zone. It's been happening all year.

The Lions rank last in QB pressures and are tied for second last in sacks despite having played more games than most other teams, so they can't be called an aggressive defence.
maxlion wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:24 pm
I don't really care if the defense is aggressive or not, only whether it consistently plays well enough to give us a good chance to win.
Agreed.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

As reported previously by LU and noted at the start of this thread, the Lions are making a lot of lineup changes for this game. The official depth chart includes some last-minute surprises on the defensive line. David Menard moves into the starting lineup at boundary defensive end, backed up by Louie Richardson. Craig Roh swaps sides to to rush end, backed up by Ricky Foley. Josh Shirley moves to the 1-game injured list. AT DT, Bryant Turner Jr. moves back to 3-tech and starts ahead of Maxx Forde. Mic'hael Brooks returns as starter at nose tackle, so the Lions have different starters at all four DL positions.

Altogether, I count 10 changes to the starting lineup, including the return of SB Bryan Burnham, who was a game-day scratch last week. The Lions are starting the second half of the season like it's a new season.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Depth chart as provided by BCFAN ...

Working with the roster we have, I have no complaints about the DL lineup chosen for this game. Times do change, and Wally does adjust. Years ago, the blueprint was to suit up only 5 DL. Incredible. Now we see the value of fresh legs in the DLine. Effectiveness is a different thing, however.

Dunno how Burnett grades, but he does not seem like a standout.

After looking athletic and effective initially, it seems to this CFL fan that Thompson is showing his inexperience at Safety. Then there are the coverage confusion issues in the secondary. It seems like we do not like to play NATs on the corner or at DB.

Husband is a big loss. I think we can count him as a Dan Dorazio success story. International tackles this year, not so much. Crossing the fingers with Johnson and Palmer. Foucault draws in as backup guard.

As with every game, this one will tell us a lot. IMO it could go a number of ways. A win. A loss. A bad loss. Most likely we will play hard. Wally tends to get good effort out of his players, and we have outstanding character leaders on the team.

Expected strategy, tactics and game plan? Hmmm ... about the same as always, methinks.

Just IMO ...
2017-08-25_0955.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CardiacKid
Legend

I am in Ottawa as part of Operation Orange and thoroughly enjoying the experience thus far. I will add a note to the Operation Orange thread once it is all done and dusted.

A couple of items touched on in this thread that have kept turning up throughout the year. My 2-bits...

I hope Noel Thorpe gets some serious consideration to join the team either as HC or Assistant HC/Defensive Coordinator. A purely sideways move is not really possible based on what happened with his pre-empted switch to Edmonton so a promotion is necessary. He calls an aggressive defence which a lot of folks on Lionbackers are screaming for, has Vancouver connections, knows the league in its present state (not a "name" from the distant past or a hotshot from the states) and has CIS roots (on a personal level I would love to see more CIS coaches make it to the CFL).

I believe we have a talented secondary that can gel to be the best unit in the league but they have to be allowed to settle into a "set" configuration. As BCFan says, waaaaay too many times this year we have witnessed our secondary betray confusion and miscommunication with their body language. The coaches need to familiarize themselves with the concept of Occam's Razor, the simplest solution is the best solution.

And while briefly chatting with Wally today, my inside voice was saying "get JJ24 the ball 15-20 touches please".