Question about a Rule

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

I'm confused by something I should know about, but don't. Normally, after a field goal is successful, the team scored against has the choice of scrimmaging on their 35 yd. line or having the team that kicked the FG kick off. I'm assuming, however, that this rule changes in the last 2 or 3 minutes of a half or the game. In last night's Edmonton-Winnipeg game, the Esks scored a field goal late and then proceeded to try an onside kick (which failed). Presumably, the Bombers would have opted to scrimmage on their 35 instead of having the Esks kick, since they could have run the clock out.

At what point in the game, does the usual rule after successful FGs change?
Ballistic Bob
Legend

They mentioned that the rule was change back to the old way. Kicking off after a field goal. No choice. I could be wrong. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Yes. I think it only applies to the last 3 minutes of a game. Otherwise teams can still opt to scrimmage at the 35 after a field goal.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:06 pm
Yes. I think it only applies to the last 3 minutes of a game. Otherwise teams can still opt to scrimmage at the 35 after a field goal.
:whs:

SECTION 2

KICKOFF
Article 1

Points Of Kickoff
The ball shall be kicked off by a place kick from any point between the hash
marks on Team A’s:
(a) 35-yard line – at the start of the game, or any half, or after a touchdown.
(b) 35-yard line – after a score of three points by the kicking team, or the team
scored against may elect to put the ball in play by kickoff from its own 35-yard
line. If score occurs after the 3 minute warning in 4th quarter the scoring team
must kickoff

"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy