CFL Games of Week 9, August 17 - 19

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

EDM @ WPG ... It would be nice if the Bombers can bump off the Schmos. Dunno if they can do it.

OTT @ HAM ... One would expect the decline of the TiCats to continue. Austin looks deeply stressed.

CGY @ BC ... One would expect a win by the Stampeders. Just when things look bleak, we bounce back from the precipice. Or do we?

MTL @ TOR ... Is Ricky Ray ready to return? If not, one might expect the Alouettes, under Head Coach Jacques Chapdelaine and Quarterback Darian Durant, to win.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The schedule for Week 9.

2017-08-14_1211.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Edmonton would have to be #1, based on results.

Calgary will have something to say about #1 when they meet Edmonton in Week 11 and Week 12.

Winnipeg is playing hard, credit to O'Shea in my opinion. And Nichols seems like a much improved player in the last couple of years.

The Lions. We have the 4th best record, but are showing vulnerability.

Suddenly Regina is nipping at our heels.

Montreal and Toronto would seem good bets to make the playoffs in the East. Crossover for a Western team seems likely.

Ottawa has trouble finding a way to win.

Hamilton is showing hopelessness. The clock would seem to be ticking for Kent Austin. Or is that a bell tolling? Or maybe both?

2017-08-14_1643.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

No lingering back issues from the playing days? Oh my ...

Some people are like that. There is all that equipment in front of you. Might as well pitch in. The EQ guy has to be very thankful.

The Bombers host Edmonton on Thursday.
Dave Hookham

Always like O'Shea ! I think he is a coach that players love and just want to play hard for. This helping out the Equip manager doesn't surprise me as he is just that kind of guy ...

2017-08-15_1018.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Kyries Hebert fined for dirty hit on Cody Fajardo.

Plus a new one for this CFL fan, J'Michael Deane fined for a "tourist hit" on Chip Cox.

2017-08-15_1027.png

Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Regards the Lions game on Friday, listening to this clip (see link) it would seem that Hunter Steward has been and is still dealing with an injury that will now force the team to look at options. Does anyone know the nature of his injury?
https://www.bclions.com/2017/08/15/buon ... r-calgary/
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

EDMONTON (7-0) at WINNIPEG (5-2), Thursday, 8:30 p.m.

This is the best game of the week, matching Edmonton QB Mike Reilly against Winnipeg's comeback kid, Matt Nichols. The Eskimos are hurting at key positions and they're vulnerable with all the pressure of having to defend a purrfect record. Winnipeg is on a three-game win streak, but the Bomber record is a bit of a mirage. They haven't beaten a team above .500. They are only 1-2 in their division. They beat Saskatchewan and lost to B.C. and Calgary. Their other four wins came against the weak sisters in the East Division. I'm playing it safe with this one and picking Edmonton.

Key stat: Edmonton is No. 1 in average passing yards per game and No. 1 in defending against the pass. A bad recipe for Winnipeg. Pick: Edmonton 27, Winnipeg 24

OTTAWA (1-6-1) at HAMILTON (0-7), Friday, 7:30 p.m.

Surely, the Ticats won't go the entire season without a win. But I don't think it's their time for a breakthrough yet. New assistant coach June Jones needs more time to get comfortable with the offence and QB Zach Collaros. The Redblacks keep stubbing their toes with mistakes and turnovers. But Trevor Harris didn't become the leading passing in the league using smoke and mirrors. I say the Redblacks win and win easily.

Key stat: Hamilton is last in rushing offence per game, last in passing offence per game, last in defending the pass and last in defending the run. Ottawa can't possibly blow this. Pick: Ottawa 35, Hamilton 17

CALGARY (5-1-1) at B.C. (5-3), Friday, 10:30 p.m.

The Stampeders haven't played since Aug. 3, so they'll be fresh, while the Lions are licking their wounds after being thoroughly outplayed by the Saskatchewan Roughriders. It was a rough outing for B.C. quarterback Jonathon Jennings in his return from injury. He needs more time to shake off the rust. I'm putting my money on Bo Levi Mitchell and running back Jerome Messam.

Key stat: Calgary has the No. 2 defence against the pass, which should frustrate the Lions offence. Pick: Calgary 36, Lions 28

MONTREAL (3-4) at TORONTO (3-5), Saturday, 4 p.m.

This is the second game of a home-and-home set, with Montreal having taken the first game 21-9 as the Argonauts sat out injured quarterback Ricky Ray. Coach Marc Trestman is calling for better performances by the backup quarterbacks. Jeff Mathews didn't get the job done in relief of Ray. And Cody Fajardo performed only marginally better. With no running attack to speak of, there is too much pressure on the Toronto QBs to mount a sustained attack. Meanwhile, Montreal QB Darian Durant seems to be getting more comfortable with his offence. I'm going with Montreal in a close game.

Key stat: Montreal is the No. 1 rushing team in the league with a per-game average of over 110 yards. Montreal might just run all over Toronto. Pick: Montreal 23, Toronto 21

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:56 pm
Regards the Lions game on Friday, listening to this clip (see link) it would seem that Hunter Steward has been and is still dealing with an injury that will now force the team to look at options. Does anyone know the nature of his injury?
https://www.bclions.com/2017/08/15/buon ... r-calgary/
According to LU, Steward has been playing with an arm injury for the past two weeks. Antonio Johnston, who filled in for him a few weeks ago, took first-team reps at LT in practice.
LIONS TALES: Buono confirmed Jon Jennings will start but could make changes on both sides of the ball in the first meeting of the season against the 5-1-1 Stampeders. Hunter Steward was not lined up at his customary left tackle spot Tuesday but with the reserves. Import Antonio Johnson has taken Steward’s place. B.C. won’t have to adjust the ratio if Steward is benched, as they have had no trouble starting eight Canadians on rotation, but Buono said a change may be warranted: “Hunter has played with an (arm) injury the last two weeks and obviously it’s starting to affect him in a negative way.” Anthony Gaitor was back at his starting defensive halfback spot. Brooks and Bryan Burnham (foot) didn’t practice but are expected to participate Wednesday.
Players-only meeting by Lions after rout
BC 1988
Legend

http://www.tsn.ca/players-only-meeting- ... t-1.831100
Wow that quote from Brooks was an eye opener.
“I don’t think it was not listening to the head coach,” said defensive lineman Mich’ael Brooks. “He walked in; everybody knows we’re coming to meet with him as soon as he walks in, and nobody gets up off their seat. He doesn’t feel we have that type of energy; he lets us know. He was right. We didn’t have energy and it showed.”
Wally was actually reacting to the players body language when he entered the room--that puts the events before the game last Sunday into better context. You get the feeling from this that as long as the Lions are winning, the problems in the locker room are hidden. Any adversity (including the 15 points scored against in garbage time the week before) and they crumble.
Pretty sad, considering the talent on the team.
maxlion
Legend

Not surprised to hear that Steward has been playing injured. Wonder if Foucault is ready for action yet.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CFL.ca Staff ...
EDM @ WPG

It’s the student vs. the master in Winnipeg as Mike Reilly takes on his former apprentice in Matt Nichols. The latter has gone 15-5 as a starter since being traded to Winnipeg while Reilly, thanks to his team’s 7-0 start, leads the mid-season conversation for Most Outstanding Player.

Expect plenty of points when the CFL’s second- and third-highest scoring teams meet on Thursday night in Winnipeg as the Bombers hope some home cooking can help them deliver the Eskimos their first loss of 2017.

PICK
Writers: 86% Edmonton
Fans: 67% Edmonton
2017-08-16_1723.png
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OTT @ HAM

Only three points separate the REDBLACKS and Ticats in their division, although Friday’s Tim Hortons Field tilt is not quite the battle for first that fans were expecting to see at this time of year. That doesn’t make it any less important as both clubs need a victory to get back in the race for a playoff spot in the hotly-contended East.

Kenny Shaw looks to boost a REDBLACKS offence that’s failed to go over 300 passing yards in three straight games while Zach Collaros aims to break out of an early-season slump that’s seen his team drop seven straight games to open the season.

PICK:
Writers: 71% Hamilton
Fans: 79% Ottawa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CGY @ BC

Don’t assume time has washed away any bad blood between the BC Lions and Calgary Stampeders. It’s been nine months since the rival clubs met in the Western Final but a one-sided defeat last November is sure to have Wally Buono’s club more inspired than usual for Friday’s grudge match.

Considered at the beginning of the season the two best teams in the CFL, the Lions and Stamps could alter the entire West Division landscape in Week 9 as only a single point separates second from fourth place in the West.

PICK
Writers: 100% Calgary
Fans: 79% Calgary

MTL @ TOR

A Ray of hope comes at exactly the right time for the Argos. Yes, Ricky Ray appears to have the green light for the Double Blue and his return is just what the doctor ordered after Cody Fajardo and Jeff Mathews led the Argos to only nine points while failing to find the end zone in Week 8.

The East Division hangs in the balance on Saturday afternoon at BMO with heated rivals meeting for the second straight week in hopes of a late-summer edge in the standings.

PICK
Writers: 86% Montreal
Fans: 62% Montreal

Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Well, that's a bit rich! Yeah I get it, Calgary's good, and our Leos stunk last game, but 100%? (PICK: Writers: 100% Calgary) Hmm... too bad our Leos aren't playing the writers. heh heh Oh, well. They're likely right. But no way is there zero chance for a surprise result. We ain't chopped liver.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

If I could get long odds on a four-team parlay, I'd be tempted to pick against the writers in every game this week.

Edmonton is due for a loss and is playing on the road against a Winnipeg team that is finding ways to win close games.

Ottawa has too much talent to lose another close game and Hamilton is banged up, in disarray and playing without confidence.

B.C. is due for a bounce-back game after their no-show last week. Maybe Calgary will sleepwalk through this one. Likely not, but Jennings has a great record as a starter coming off a loss.

And Ricky Ray makes the Argos a lot more dangerous than they were last week, even if he's playing at 75%.
David
Team Captain

Who's everyone cheering for in the Edmonton - Winnipeg game?

I don't like either team, but do we more-or-less just concede first to the Esks at this point and worry about staying tight with the Bombers? In other words, cheer for Edmonton....and I use that term very loosely? :wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:52 am
Who's everyone cheering for in the Edmonton - Winnipeg game?

I don't like either team, but do we more-or-less just concede first to the Esks at this point and worry about staying tight with the Bombers? In other words, cheer for Edmonton....and I use that term very loosely? :wink:

DH :cool:
I cant decide what I think is best for the lions, so I am just going to cheer for Reilly.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back