CFL Games of Week 8, August 10 - 13

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I think Calgary is probably still the best team in the league. Most points scored. Least points allowed.

Edmonton surprises me a bit. Jones deserting ship for Regina has had no negative effect, very obviously. Dismissing their GM, Ed Hervey, no big deal. First time, young Head Coach, Jason Maas. A lot of credit to Mike Reilly methinks. And Benny has the D playing pretty well.

Fun year for us. Two losses to the Schmos cannot dim the excitement level of our team. I thought our D Line looked very active and effective vs the Riders. Our O Line was almost watertight in its pass protection, and vigorous in the ground game.

Winnipeg plays tough. IMO credit to O'Shea. Nichols plays way better than I would ever have thought.

Riders? Dunno what ails them, but one can point to Chris Jones, who has all the authority, and wears the responsibility. They have some talent, but do not get it done. Carter has amazing talent, and issues. Is he happy in the CFL? Could he be happy anywhere?

2017-08-07_0050.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The East. Hmmmm ... Humble pie.

Toronto. Ray of hope? Cakewalk to the playoffs, methinks. Welcome back to the CFL, Marc Trestman.

Montreal. Way to go, Jacques. Better win 2nd in the East, however. Methinks the West takes the crossover spot.

Ottawa. Surprising how hard it has been for them to win.

Hamilton. Death watch of sorts re Kent Austin. Emotional explosion coming? The team seems to have rallied a bit after the humiliating loss to the Stampeders.

2017-08-07_0051.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

EDM @ OTT ... Oh for an upset. Get 'em OTT.

TOR @ MTL ... Would prefer to see Jacques' team win this one.

WPG @ HAM ... Hmmmm. Time for Austin's team to win one? Maybe not.

BC @ SSK ... We matched up very, very well with the Riders on our home turf. Who gets the start, Jennings or Lulay? Is Jennings ready to play?

2017-08-07_0753.png

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Chris Carter is undoubtedly highly skilled but is a loose cannon. He's talking trash after scoring a touchdown in which his team is trailing by 30 points.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:58 am

TOR @ MTL ... Would prefer to Jacques' team win this one.

BC @ SSK ... We matched up very, very well with the Riders on our home turf. Who gets the start, Jennings or Lulay? Is Jennings ready to play?

2017-08-07_0753.png
So bye week for the Stamps and the Lions play early Sunday evening (5 pm PDT) in Regina. So that means Lions will play their 2nd game in 6 days when the well-rested Stamps come to BC Place Aug. 18. Hardly ideal for such a pivotal game.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:58 am

TOR @ MTL ... Would prefer to see Jacques' team win this one.

Lulay is well above Jennings in pass completion pct (number 1 overall), passer rating(number 2 over all), and yards per game.

only negative is int, but he is matching that with TD.

I think it would be counter productive to take him out as long as he continues to play at this level
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

With Lulay playing so well it really gives the Lions the luxury of delaying Jennings return or limiting it to only a change of pace appearance if things bog down.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

No need to rush Jennings back. Let him fully heal. It's not as if there is a pressing need at quarterback.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

With the struggles of the Eastern teams to put it midly every team in the west could crossover. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Quarterback controversy? What quarterback controversy? Ain't no quarterback controversy. Ha ha

Maybe not. Hmmmm

Might be one with the fans. Hopefully not with Wally.

It is tricky.

Many Lulay fans on here, including me. But if Lulay becomes #1, how does Jennings feel? Even if Lulay becomes co-equal #1, how does Jennings feel?

If Jennings is once again #1, how does Lulay feel, after performing at or beyond the level of a "normal" #1?

Both of these guys have wonderful attitudes, but they also have individual pride. As noted, it is tricky.

Two #1 quarterbacks? Not good, IMO. And we have seen a number of posters with the opinion that it could work.

Not worth talking about? I think it is worth discussing.

If we go with two #1 quarterbacks, I would think a separate thread would be appropriate.

As the cliché goes, it is a good problem to have.

We will see ...
2017-08-08_0900.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/cfl/news ... 6b1w2x1ray
Week 8 CFL Picks: Going out on a limb and calling for upset wins by Ticats and Redblacks

August 7, 2017 2:21pm EDT August 7, 2017 2:16pm EDT The Bombers' bubble bursts this week. Kevin-Glenn-Roughriders-CFL-FTR-072217 (Matt Smith/CFL)

By Curtis Rush Contributor  @curtisgrush

Published on Aug. 7, 2017

Well, I misfired on Winnipeg for the second straight week, never thinking it could pull another game out of the fire. Their buzzer-beating 33-30 victory over Ottawa was my only blemish in going 3-1. You can fool me twice, but not three times. I say the Bombers' bubble bursts this week.

If Matt Nichols pulls off another miracle, I'm going to call for the Bombers to erect a statue of him in Winnipeg and declare him as the greatest Bomber QB since Kenny Ploen. I'm calling for Hamilton to upset the Bombers and break into the win column.

It's largely a matter of the law of averages. I don't think Hamilton is going to go winless this season, and with Zach Collaros coming off perhaps his best game of this season, I think the Ticats are due some good fortune.

So call me daring, or crazy, but I'm going to go with two upsets this week. The other one is Ottawa ending Edmonton's unbeaten streak and chalking up its second win of the season. The Redblacks should be fired up by retired QB Henry Burris' tweet that the defending Grey Cup champions are not the same team because they've lost too much leadership. Record last week: 3-1. Overall record: 12-5
EDMONTON (6-0) at OTTAWA (1-5-1), Thursday, 7:30 p.m.

The Redblacks deserve better. And so does quarterback Trevor Harris. He threw for 263 yards and two touchdowns, without tossing an interception, in a last-second loss to Winnipeg. Yes, turnovers keep biting them, and yes, Harris' confidence looked shaken in the late going. But he's tough and he's driven. They must also get Diontae Spencer more involved in the offence. Consider that Ottawa has lost five games by an accumulated margin of only 13 points. It gave Edmonton all it could handle in Week 4 before falling 23-21. I think Ottawa will be pumped to prove retired QB Henry Burris wrong. There is a lot of leadership in that locker room. Pick: Ottawa 27, Edmonton 24
That would be nice. I kind of doubt it though. Unless Ottawa suddenly plays the way they did in the playoffs last year.
TORONTO (3-4) at MONTREAL (2-4), Friday, 7:30 p.m.

Toronto's 37-year-old veteran Ricky Ray has an injured shoulder, and Cody Fajardo could soon be in charge of directing the Argos offence. He is very good, but very green. He played only eight games in a relief role for Toronto last season after joining Toronto in 2015, when he was cut by the NFL's Oakland Raiders. Montreal is coming off a bye week and has had time to digest that shocking 41-40 loss to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in Week 6. Montreal's offence has scored over 30 points in two of its last three games. The Alouettes should beat Toronto, although look for a great game from Toronto receiver S.J. Green, who is playing with a chip on his shoulder in his first game back in Montreal after the Alouettes gave up on him and traded him in the offseason. Pick: Montreal 30, Toronto 17
Yeah, I would like that one. Go, Als.
WINNIPEG (4-2) at HAMILTON (0-6), Saturday, 7:30 p.m.

The Blue Bombers have found magic in the closing minutes of the last two games to pull out victories, and the smart money says to stay with a team that's on a roll. But there's something that tells me their number is up. Hamilton is at home, and fierce Ticat pride is on the line. Zach Collaros is coming off perhaps his best game of the season, having thrown for 282 yards and three touchdowns. His confidence is back and he has a new, exciting receiver in Damarr Aultman. The Bomber miracles end in Hamilton. Pick: Hamilton 30, Winnipeg 23
Ooohh, nice. Dunno, though. Gotta think the Bombers will win.
B.C. (5-2) at SASKATCHEWAN (2-4), Sunday, 8 p.m.

This is the second game of a back-to-back series. B.C. rolled up over 500 net yards in dominating the Roughriders 30-15 last week. The league's oldest QB, the 38-year-old Kevin Glenn, couldn't get the offence moving. Brandon Bridge stepped in and tossed a couple of late touchdown passes to make the score respectable. The Riders may surprise because they are the most inconsistent team in the league and therefore the hardest to gauge. They follow one bad performance with a good one. They are very good at home. But the Riders are 0-3 against Western teams and I think they will be 0-4 when all is said and done this week. Pick: B.C. 30, Saskatchewan 24
Is Kevin Glenn only 38? Ha ha ... Bridge was playing in garbage time, and the Lions looked like they felt the game was over. Thompson was lost on the second TD, going the wrong way.

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I too expect Ottawa to win (70-30), and will not be surprised if Hamilton wins (55-45).
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ottawa's problem is simple. They keep beating themselves with turnovers. They're 0-5 when they lose the turnover battle and 1-0 when they win it. While Ottawa finds ways to lose, Edmonton keeps finding ways to win. They're 2-0 when they trail after 3 quarters and 2-0 when they lose the turnover battle. I'd love to see Ottawa win but I don't expect it to happen this week.

Hamilton is just bad. They Ticats are 0-2 when they win the turnover battle. They've played 5 straight games against West Division teams, losing all of them. It's Winnipeg's turn to feast on the Ticats' raw secondary.

Montreal is better than their 2-4 record and should be able to defeat an Argo team that may be without Ricky Ray.

I'll take the Lions to hold off the Riders in the final game of the week.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CFL writers make their picks ...
2017-08-09_1554.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/08/09/cfl-ca-wr ... ks-week-8/
EDM @ OTT

While the records are one-sided, the numbers stack up pretty well between the Ottawa REDBLACKS and Edmonton Eskimos in Thursday night’s Week 8 opener. Trevor Harris leads one of the CFL’s most dangerous passing attacks while the Eskimos are dealing with a swarm of injuries, including recently to Brandon Zylstra and Justin Sorensen.

One of three home underdogs this week, can the REDBLACKS take advantage of the wounded Eskimos and pick up their second win of the season at TD Place?

PICK
Writers: 57% Edmonton
Fans: 75% Edmonton

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOR @ MTL

This week’s CFL Pick ‘Em Marquee Matchup pits two teams that haven’t met in 2017 — yet should feel oddly familiar. Marc Trestman, Jim Popp, S.J. Green and Bear Woods head the long list of ex-Alouettes returning to La Belle Province this weekend and what’s more, the outcome will determine first place in the East.

While questions surround the availability of CFL leading passer Ricky Ray, an early-season home and home between division foes should lead to a pair of close games and potentially a budding East Division rivalry.

PICK:
Writers: 71% Montreal
Fans: 71% Montreal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WPG @ HAM

This year’s cardiac kids keep on rolling, the Bombers coming off back-to-back last-play victories to move to 4-2 on the season. Life is good for Winnipeg and quarterback Matt Nichols but it doesn’t get any easier with a trip to Tim Hortons Field.

While the Ticats own a CFL-worst 0-6 record, a coaching shakeup followed by a return home for just the third time this season should provide plenty of ammo for a club in desperate need of a win.

PICK
Writers: 85% Winnipeg
Fans: 77% Winnipeg

BC @ SSK

Last week’s 30-15 beatdown at the hands of the Lions flattered the Riders considering they once trailed 30-0. But fans should expect a much different Saskatchewan team to show up at home in the rematch on Sunday. The Riders are 2-1 at new Mosaic Stadium, including, most recently, a 38-27 win over the Argos in Week 6.

It’s always a show when Bryan Burnham and Duron Carter get together.

PICK
Writers: 85% BC
Fans: 71% BC