Ricky Foley signs with Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:53 am
The best factor of Foley's signing is he brings readership to the team.
Hmmm.....well, he was involved in the Vancouver Sun's "Raise A Reader" program when he was last here, so there's that. :rotf:

DH :cool:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

:dizzy:

I have the worst auto keyboard ever on my phone, but thanks for saving me on that David. :rotf:

Still once Area51 comes back, I'm sure there will be more readership right here due to his Foley's.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.bclions.com/2017/08/08/fole ... ght-group/

Nice interview with Ricky Foley.

Some humour. Some memories. He loves B.C. also.

"Get after the QB."

"Work his tail off."

"Chase the ball down."

Absolutely right.

Good memory for me. Rob Murphy for the Argos playing here. Pre-game. Murphy walking to the dressing room. I got to shout at him that Ricky would get 3 sacks on him, not in a hostile way, more like teasing. I liked Murphy. Ricky got 2.

Murphy was a character, as we all know. At one practice, a very hot day, mostly a walk through, he had flip flops on under his sweats. LOL

Murphy putting the choke on Kato ...

6052-robmurphykato.jpg
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

I like the Foley signing.

Normally I would not be in favor of signing a 35 year old defensive end. Foley was released by the Argos via text message, when he would not restructure his contract. He only had 4 sacks last year while dealing with a nerve issue in his foot.

He's always been in great shape and he likely knows this is his last kick at the can. I like his National status and I think he could be an asset in a rotational defensive role. He began his career as a Leo and he will likely end his career in the black and orange.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Blitz wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:56 am

Normally I would not be in favor of signing a 35 year old defensive end. Foley was released by the Argos via text message, when he would not restructure his contract. He only had 4 sacks last year while dealing with a nerve issue in his foot.

He's always been in great shape and he likely knows this is his last kick at the can. I like his National status and I think he could be an asset in a rotational defensive role. He began his career as a Leo and he will likely end his career in the black and orange.
The thing I noticed about those 4 sacks was 3 came in the first 4 games, only 1 over the last 10. While his sack numbers dropped off to next to nothing his tackle numbers stayed OK. In 2015 there was also a trend of fading production as the past 2 seasons progressed. He recorded 6 sacks. 4 game in a 3 game stretch over his 4th, 5th and 6th games of the season then only 2 over the final 11 games.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:33 am
Blitz wrote:

The thing I noticed about those 4 sacks was 3 came in the first 4 games, only 1 over the last 10. While his sack numbers dropped off to next to nothing his tackle numbers stayed OK. In 2015 there was also a trend of fading production as the past 2 seasons progressed. He recorded 6 sacks. 4 game in a 3 game stretch over his 4th, 5th and 6th games of the season then only 2 over the final 11 games.
So Hambone it sounds like you are making a case supporting Wally's decision to not sign Foley at the start of the season but only have him here late in the year and for less money, of course. The injury to DeQuin Evens might have prompted Wally to sign Foley slightly sooner than the idea playoff push time.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:18 am
Hambone wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:33 am
Blitz wrote:

So Hambone it sounds like you are making a case supporting Wally's decision to not sign Foley at the start of the season but only have him here late in the year and for less money, of course. The injury to DeQuin Evens might have prompted Wally to sign Foley slightly sooner than the idea playoff push time.
I'm never a fan of signing older veterans who have no upside and where it would be considered a good year if they can "hold serve" on their impact on the field. Had Buono signed Foley at the start of the season I would've been openly critical of it. When a player gets to where Foley is in his career it's far more likely he will be a bit slower off the line, more easily handled by the OL etc than it is that he will somehow play like he did even 2 years ago. I do think the Evans injury is a factor as well as depth issues on the OL. I think Wally went for Foley as much to provide ratio flexibility on the OL as to be some sort of DL upgrade.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I tend to agree with you Hammy but on the other side of the coin, it isn't like we have been raving about how wonderful our D-Line has been. Foley may have some utility on a rotational basis. It didn't cost us anything to get him so if he flames out, well then it was a roll of the dice that didn't pan out. I suspect he will be higly motivated at what will no doubt be his last kick at the can if he crashes and burns. If it does pan out and Foley can contribute, then Wally looks like a genius. This makes more sense than the Khalif Mitchell V2 signing did. At least there isn't the worry that Foley is going to be some kind of distraction in the room and there is some suggestion that he might even be capable of being a leader in that room.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Blitz
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:

I
do think the Evans injury is a factor as well as depth issues on the OL. I think Wally went for Foley as much to provide ratio flexibility on the OL as to be some sort of DL upgrade.
I agree Hambone. Our last game was an example, when we had to insert Antonio Johnson and slide Vaillencourt to center, forcing us to use Shaq Murray Lawrence to tailback.

Foley can provide increased roster flexibility.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)