Lions 30 - Riders 15, Post-Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Oh man -- Joe -- top notch stuff. What an eye for the critical nanosecond on these freeze-frames. And absolutely delightful commentary! Thanks. My quartet of faves: The touch-pass ball hanging in the air with Williams waiting, the goal-post saying hello! to the Rider defender, the Maxx man hustling way downfield, Little Shaq's dreadlocks flying... but really the others are every bit as good. And calculating talent and personality combined -- ain't no one better on my team IMO than that Mr. B. Burnham. Anyhow, thanks for taking the time and effort for providing these pics.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

pennw wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:46 pm
Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:07 am
A couple of you were asking what Proulx was explaining (pertaining to the Riders' failed onside kick)...
On Suitors explanation , the play required either the ball to come back in bounds or the player needed to land in bounds , just like a receiver catching a sideline pass . The rider player was in bounds when he jumped but landed out . Had the ball come back in , it still would have remained live . Neither happened . But also I think the ball landed on the ground and contacted the white line actually . The replays never showed where it landed but I think the live play video did show it . A flag was thrown and I don't know if what the rider player did was a penalty as he did not go out and then come back in to make the play , which would have been a penalty . If the ball did hit the white first , then that would have been a penalty . Have to go back and review the video . The above that I have posted about the rider not getting back down Though , was Suitors explanation . Not sure if that is a penalty though , or if that just makes the ball out of bounds in and of itself (therefore a penalty ), just like a receiver catching a ball out of bounds . The kicked ball does have to end up inbounds though for the kicking team to retain possession , either by means of the last guy touching it remaining in or recovered inside .
Thanks for the fuller explanation, pennw. Complicated, eh! What I'm left with is feeling pretty impressed with Proulx and crew for seemingly getting that right, right then and there. (I know Proulx has his detractors, but generally this season so far I'm no longer among them. This may be damning with faint praise but , IMO he's as good as anyone currently refereeing our game.) And for that I suppose I'll hear a chorus of boos! lol.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:54 pm
Oh man -- Joe -- top notch stuff. What an eye for the critical nanosecond on these freeze-frames. And absolutely delightful commentary! Thanks. My quartet of faves: The touch-pass ball hanging in the air with Williams waiting, the goal-post saying hello! to the Rider defender, the Maxx man hustling way downfield, Little Shaq's dreadlocks flying... but really the others are every bit as good. And calculating talent and personality combined -- ain't no one better on my team IMO than that Mr. B. Burnham. Anyhow, thanks for taking the time and effort for providing these pics.
You are welcome, Ernie. It was a fun game.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
CardiacKid
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:39 am
Nice pass protection. Steward, Vaillancourt and the Hogs get their men. 2017-08-06_1107.png
As Willie Jefferson goes, so does the Rider defence. Steward along with Vaillancourt essentially shut the door on Saskatchewan's defensive leader. Fabien and Palmer also did a good job in slowing the big man down when he switched to the right. He did end up with a sack and 3 tackles but he was really held in check; he can blow things up real good more often than not.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The Riders had some early success throwing very quick release 5-7 yard catches, receiver making the first man miss and then getting a first down. Lions started gang tackling and forcing stops, so I thought that the Riders were setting up the Lions for the long bomb to one of their 3 deep threat guys. It never really happened in spite of BC being a team that has been victimized by the long pass. And to prove my point with less than 3 minutes left Bridge throws for 2 long bomb TDs.

I got to give some kudos to Wally and/or Dorazio. The coach's response to a poor outing by the O line last week was to manipulate the roster so to have a import O lineman, Antonio Johnson in a backup role this week and then need to insert him into the game and play one less National on the O line. As LT he was mostly up against Willie Jefferson who is a top tier DE and with the help of Stewart at guard, they handled Jefferson.

Last season I thought Olifoye should have played RT and Stewart LT (this season too but that ship has sailed) so last season I though that at least Stewart will be the beneficiary of learning a new position and in the future command a higher salary. Little did I realize that Wally and the Lions would also benefit as that was a seamless mid game shift, LT to LG on the important left side of the O line. Belated kudos to Wally/Dorazio.

Part of Shaq M-L getting some playing time was needing to get a National on the field due to the mid game shift from 4 National O linemen to 3. He sure made the most of it and may have just resurrected his career. Another roster move by Wally for this game that really panned out.

About Lulay:
Is it just me or do others when hearing Lulay being interviewed pre and post game, he sounds more like a coach talking than a player. I think that one of the unintended consequences of Lulay's mentoring of Jennings in the nuances of being a CFL QB is that it has been a review process with Lulay himself benefiting. His command of the field and confidence and quick decision making is on a par with or better than his MOP season. He (or Khari) is moving the launch point more, breaking tendencies and rolling or looking left more. Lulay is a very fast runner and does not need to stay in the pocket but when he does he needs to step up and into the throws and he is doing it.
pennw
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:05 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Nice pass protection. Steward, Vaillancourt and the Hogs get their men. 2017-08-06_1107.png
As Willie Jefferson goes, so does the Rider defence. Steward along with Vaillancourt essentially shut the door on Saskatchewan's defensive leader. Fabien and Palmer also did a good job in slowing the big man down when he switched to the right. He did end up with a sack and 3 tackles but he was really held in check; he can blow things up real good more often than not.
Actually it was them that got beat by Jefferson , while double teaming him , that got beat to let Jefferson through to give Lulay the hit in the ribs that had him laided out for awhile . Mostly Vaillancourt though that got beat on that one . I'm sure had it been , Foucault that got beat there , there would be a lot of discussion about that hit here .
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

As impressive as last night's game was, it would be prudent to remember that it's the Riders the Lions beat. I would be more optimistic if it was Calgary or Edmonton we beat in that fashion.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

pennw wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:24 pm
CardiacKid wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Actually it was them that got beat by Jefferson , while double teaming him , that got beat to let Jefferson through to give Lulay the hit in the ribs that had him laided out for awhile . Mostly Vaillancourt though that got beat on that one . I'm sure had it been , Foucault that got beat there , there would be a lot of discussion about that hit here .
I am pretty sure Jefferson was part of a 3 man rush that got to Lulay. But most of the battles were won by Stewart/Vaillancourt, just not that one.
pennw
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:25 pm
pennw wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:

I am pretty sure Jefferson was part of a 3 man rush that got to Lulay. But most of the battles were won by Stewart/Vaillancourt, just not that one.
True Dano , but still had it been Foucault , it would be endless posts about it , along with equal lamenting about the the trade . All OL get beat sometimes , including the Esks who got schooled even more than BC , in their first game against Hamilton's DL . But Foucault who is a rookie got way more flak here then he deserved because he got beat a few too many times , now everyone's favourite whipping boy , to the point some even refuse to spell his name properly .
Many a player gets given up onto soon by a team only to go else where to thrive . Look at Justin Sorenson , now the ESks starting Center. Or our own Cody Husband who was given up upon by theTicats . It would be a shame , should that happen to Foucault, and it is a shame some refuse to show enough respect to our players that they won't even spell his name right because they got an axe to grind
maxlion
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:25 pm
pennw wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:

I agree with both of you. Vaillancourt played well overall and Foucault has been unfairly maligned due to being traded for a fan favourite. I hope that both will have success this year.
David
Team Captain

In fairness to the posters on this board, I don't think anyone here is ready to throw in the towel on Foucault just yet. We realize it's his first year of CFL ball, he's more of a natural tackle than guard, and there were probably unrealistic expectations of him coming in considering who he was traded for.

Still, something had to be done. When D-coordinators around the league tell Farhan Lalji that they're "isolating the left guard," measures had to be taken - especially when you've got a first round draft pick (and a natural guard to boot!) standing around in civvies on game day....

Apparently, Foucault is under concussion protocol, so it's moot. He couldn't have played in Saturday's game regardless.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
prj
Starter

Belated comments:

I really enjoyed Blitz' observations and judgements. Well said! In particular, this version of the O line appears very promising.

I am hugely impressed by Bryan Bernham. His desire, heart and preparation on every play is a model for anyone who wants to play football like a pro. I am delighted he is here, but I think several NFL people made some serious mistakes in not signing him. He has earned a shot in that other league, in my view. I will miss him if he gets another chance. But I am really glad he is here for this season.
pennw
Legend

You are right DanoT that it was a 3 man rush that Lulay took that hit on. So we had each DL double teamed , our RB stayed in on that play. And Steward and Vaillancourt both got beat by one guy they were double teaming to lay a very viscous hit to Lulay . There is no way Foucault would have been given the same grace . Having said that I'm not going to throw them under the bus , because all OL get beat sometimes. Late in the game Antonio Johnson also looked pretty good at LT when the line got reshuffled due to CH having to leave the game. But of course this was against the Riders , not the Esks DL or the Ticat DL, which have made most OL look weak, including the ESKs OL.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Another beautiful touch pass by Lulay, this time to JJ24. Great catch by our superb Running Back. He has demonstrated very good hands in his time here.

2017-08-07_0025.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.