Lions 30 - Riders 15, Post-Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JaboVancouver
Rookie

Offensive line was much better this game, and the receivers showed how scary the offence could be. Even with the garbage time TD's, the defence completely owned the Riders. All around a good showing, always room for improvement.

A couple minor takeways:

What's it's going to take for people to come out to games? 23,000+ for the Riders? That was most likely the biggest crowd at BC Place this season, and that's sad considering how good the product is at the moment. Yes, there is lots going on this weekend, and lots of people were out of town, but if the Lions can barely break 3/4 "capacity" for a Sask game, that is concerning.

I think we should stop the talk of a 2 QB system. The Lions have two players capable of being starters, but we all know Jennings is the number one guy, and Lulay has accepted that. One guy is injured, and the backup stepped in. Period. When Jennings is healthy, he'll go back in. Buono has always played it that way. I've enjoyed the resurgence of Lulay as much as anybody, but he is our number two, and it's always smart to have a capable backup. Football is built around the QB, and if your starter goes down without an insurance policy, you're screwed. There was no 2 QB talk until someone got hurt, and there shouldn't be any talk of it when everyone is healthy.
Just A Bit Outside: The Premier Vancouver Sports Podcast
justabitoutside.podbean.com
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I didn't pick up on all the changes but noticed that when the shuffling on the OL happened around the time Ross came in Johnson came off the bench to play LT with Steward shifting to LG and Vaillancourt to C. More than anything that probably hints to Vaillancourt being backup centr with Dhillon being out.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

A new weapon for our receiving corps. I don't know if we have ever had an International group like this.

Manny

Burnie

Nick

Chris

2017-08-06_1059.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Steward and Vaillancourt working well together. Palmer's man too late. Husband and Fabien in good shape.

When Steward gets that position, legs braced, long arms extended with good stick, I cannot see any DL driving him back.

2017-08-06_1100.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Speed kills ...
2017-08-06_1101.png
2017-08-06_1101_001.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Nice stunt up front. Death Roh loops inside, and sacks Glenn.

2017-08-06_1105_001.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Solid pass protection. Steward, Vaillancourt and the Hogs get their men.

2017-08-06_1107.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lulay showing beautiful touch on this pass to Williams.

2017-08-06_1107_001.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

"Just another catch" by Burnham under heavy pressure. He has quickly become one of the most exciting Lions receivers ever, certainly for this fan.
2017-08-06_1109_001.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Burnham runs the defender into the post. Ouch. The poor Rider will never forget, or live down, this take out. Guilty chuckle.

Reminds me of a story about the famed Bronko Nagurski, feared RB back in the early days of football. He ran through the entire defence and then into the brick wall just beyond the end zone. After picking himself up he said the last guy hit him really hard.

This has the appearance of ''detailed prep.''

2017-08-06_1110.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Gaitor and Sollie put the crunch on a Rider. Helmets to the side. I like it. :thup:

2017-08-06_1112_001.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hustle ... That is Maxx Forde. #48 way down the field.

2017-08-06_1115.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Nice strip by Clarke ...
2017-08-06_1118.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Palmer paves the way for Lil Shaq.
2017-08-06_1120_001.png

pennw
Legend

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:07 am
A couple of you were asking what Proulx was explaining (pertaining to the Riders' failed onside kick): I couldn't follow what he was saying either. However Cuthbert and Suitor explained on the telecast. A penalty occurred on the play in that no one touched the ball in bounds. Someone has to at least touch it (in bounds) to make it a legal play. The Rider player who touched the ball was out of bounds, so it was an illegal kick-off. Indeed the player was airborne, but still deemed (rightly) out of bounds, as was the ball, when it was touched. This is how I recall their explanation anyhow. I'll stand corrected, but I think that makes sense.
On Suitors explanation , the play required either the ball to come back in bounds or the player needed to land in bounds , just like a receiver catching a sideline pass . The rider player was in bounds when he jumped but landed out . Had the ball come back in , it still would have remained live . Neither happened . But also I think the ball landed on the ground and contacted the white line actually . The replays never showed where it landed but I think the live play video did show it . A flag was thrown and I don't know if what the rider player did was a penalty as he did not go out and then come back in to make the play , which would have been a penalty . If the ball did hit the white first , then that would have been a penalty . Have to go back and review the video . The above that I have posted about the rider not getting back down Though , was Suitors explanation . Not sure if that is a penalty though , or if that just makes the ball out of bounds in and of itself (therefore a penalty ), just like a receiver catching a ball out of bounds . The kicked ball does have to end up inbounds though for the kicking team to retain possession , either by means of the last guy touching it remaining in or recovered inside .