2017 NFL TRAINING CAMP CUTS

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CONNECTICUT YANKEE
prospect

I know were a few weeks away from the midpoint of this season but just wanted
to start a thread about potential players being added for the stretch run or for look see's
with the expanded practice rosters.

Known Quantities
----------------------------
Brett Boyko (OL) - If he gets cut does he play in the CFL or is he another Brett Rhomberg?
Adam Bighill (LB) - Does he come back? do the Lions have the cap space? Retirement?
Bo Lokembo(LB) - Will his agent pressure him to wait out for potential practice roster openings?
Alex Bazzie(LB) - do the Lions have the cap space?

Variables
---------------
see this link and look at the wipeboard in Geroy Simon's office.( 0:27 mark)
http://globalnews.ca/video/3236957/gero ... uper-scout
you will see Alex Ross listed on the right side.(so this board is somewhat valid)
some of these names are currently on NFL rosters.
Cole, Brown, and Duke are intriguing options.
Cherry could be an answer in the middle of the DL.

Wild Card
---------------
Thomas Sperbeck(WR) - The link above shows that Geroy Simon attended multiple BSU games.
He had a nice pro day at Boise State(which Geroy Simon attended).
http://www.idahopress.com/blueturfsport ... 2e1c7.html
just got cut by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers(in the same camp as Derel Walker and Antony Auclair).
David
Team Captain

Good post, CY. I can't speak to the names on the whiteboard (surprised that they were allowed to be filmed), but I would put the list of former Leos currently in NFL camps to be in the right order of priority.

I believe the club is going to go "all in" on Boyko, should he become available. I am quite sure Bighill will make the Saints, so it could be moot. Not sure Bighill addresses a huge need or hole right now. Lokombo should be a priority, not only because he's a National but if they don't sign him (should he become available), Edmonton surely will - they value Canadian linebackers. I believe the club has already stated they're not interested in bringing back Bazzie.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I agree with David's assessment on the 4 ex-Lions. One small advantage BC has when it comes to cap space is that their first bye doesn't come until Week 11. 10 out of 18 games will will be water under the bridge for BC before final NFL cuts are made. Likely they would be down to 7 games left before any of these guys impact the SMS assuming they do sign in BC. As is always the case the 2017 impact would be the difference between the salaries of the guys coming in and those jettisoned to make room X however games remain. Wally being the cap manager he has been likely will have the room to land those out of the mix he truly wants to. Boyko becomes the easiest because BC holds his rights. The rest would be free agents available to anybody.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I doubt Lokombo will be interested in returning to the Lions den just to play on special teams.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Not that he's an NFL training camp cut, but he was indeed formerly with the Leos -- and was cut -- and he's back... Shaquille Murray-Lawrence has been added to the PR. That's about as underwhelming as roster news can get. A few blinks ago we sent Josh Harris packing. Not impressed with our depth here at this position.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:30 pm
Not that he's an NFL training camp cut, but he was indeed formerly with the Leos -- and was cut -- and he's back... Shaquille Murray-Lawrence has been added to the PR. That's about as underwhelming as roster news can get. A few blinks ago we sent Josh Harris packing. Not impressed with our depth here at this position.
Shaq M-L has value to the team as a depth guy because he knows the playbook. But I would have thought that they need spots on the 10 man PR for other guys...oh, maybe those other guys are on the Injured list.
Qman
Champion

CONNECTICUT YANKEE wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:39 pm
to start a thread about potential players being added for the stretch run or for look see's

Known Quantities
Brett Boyko (OL) - If he gets cut does he play in the CFL or is he another Brett Rhomberg?
Adam Bighill (LB) - Does he come back? do the Lions have the cap space? Retirement?
Bo Lokembo(LB) - Will his agent pressure him to wait out for potential practice roster openings?
boyko --- yes, hopefully better than Foucault - likely one of our backup G
Bighill -- once Sollie was signed, no chance we have cap space for 400k in LBs. we would have to dump salary to sign him. He still BC lions property, likely traded.
Bo -- full free agent, doubt their would be interest at the salary level he might get around the league as a backup LB
Bazzie -- no interest, everybody here is way better and/or way cheaper.

NFL aren't good enough to make a difference unless you have big injuries. Bring them in on PR, then acclimatize, go through camp and maybe 10% are something.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Qman wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:01 pm

Known Quantities
Bighill -- once Sollie was signed, no chance we have cap space for 400k in LBs. we would have to dump salary to sign him. He still BC lions property, likely traded.
Bo -- full free agent, doubt their would be interest at the salary level he might get around the league as a backup LB

NFL aren't good enough to make a difference unless you have big injuries. Bring them in on PR, then acclimatize, go through camp and maybe 10% are something.
Bighill isn't BC property. For him to sign in NO they had to release him because NFL teams cannot sign anybody under contract to another league per their CBA. When BC released him they nullified his contract and surrendered his CFL playing rights. The only thing that loosely ties him to the Lions is the promise he made to come back to BC to finish off the rest of his contract. If he gets cut by the Saints he is both an NFL and CFL free agent. He could live up to the promise he gave in exchange for his release or he could just as easily pull a Ricky Foley and sign elsewhere. If he chose the latter the Lions wouldn't have a leg to stand on to force him to come back to BC.
Qman
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:29 pm
Qman wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:01 pm

Known Quantities

Bighill isn't BC property. For him to sign in NO they had to release him because NFL teams cannot sign anybody under contract to another league per their CBA. When BC released him they nullified his contract and surrendered his CFL playing rights. The only thing that loosely ties him to the Lions is the promise he made to come back to BC to finish off the rest of his contract. If he gets cut by the Saints he is both an NFL and CFL free agent. He could live up to the promise he gave in exchange for his release or he could just as easily pull a Ricky Foley and sign elsewhere. If he chose the latter the Lions wouldn't have a leg to stand on to force him to come back to BC.
while he technically isn't bc property.
Wally has a signing contract in his top drawer just waiting to get filed. bighill signed a post-dated contract the second after he was released. Thats why wally got fined.
BC 1988
Legend

Bighill's performance in the last pre-season game got lots of run on the News 1130 (which I listen to in my car) sports segments (slow time of year, but odd that they chose to use that as filler).
From that, it's looking like he's staying in the NFL.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:23 am
Bighill's performance in the last pre-season game got lots of run on the News 1130 (which I listen to in my car) sports segments (slow time of year, but odd that they chose to use that as filler).
From that, it's looking like he's staying in the NFL.
He's still in tough I think. Even though he put up some stats one has to consider the situation. His tackles all came in one series with under 3 minutes to go in the 3rd. His interception was on a desperation hail Mary by LA on a 4th and 34 play from their own 4 yard line with 45 seconds left to play. With everybody back playing deep outfield there were 3 Saints covering the intended target. What I think we need to see is Bighill getting more reps earlier in the game. That would be a sign he's pushing up the depth chart. For now he seems to still be sitting 3rd on the depth chart at WILL behind veteran Craig Robertson and Alex Anzalone who is a 3rd round pick (76th overall) from this year's draft.

This is a pretty good article on Biggie from a week ago.
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/20 ... ghill.html
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Bighill is still a longshot to make the Saints roster. I would welcome him back. Tony Burnett is a lighter, faster player who is probably better suited to Mark Washington's style of pass defence but he hasn't stood out in any aspect of the game, ranking fourth on the team with 22 defensive tackles, including 2 tackles for a loss, but with no sacks, pressures, interceptions, knockdowns or forced fumbles.