Player Awards to the 1/3 mark in the season

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

6 games in, this is how I see the race heating up (I expect some shifting to the 1/2 point. For example, if we could block for Chris Rainey, he would be my choice for Special Teams. We'll also have to see what the addition of Chris Williams means).

Player: Solomon Elimimian (Travis Lulay)
Defensive: Solomon Elimimian (Chandler Fenner)
Canadian: Hunter Steward (Shaq Johnson)
Offensive Lineman: Hunter Steward (Cody Husband)
Special Teams: Ty Long (Chris Rainey)
Rookie: Ty Long (Micah Awe)

A case could be made to flip-flop Player, but I figured Travis has only played 3 games, so the sample size isn't big enough.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

David wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:00 am
6 games in, this is how I see the race heating up (I expect some shifting to the 1/2 point. For example, if we could block for Chris Rainey, he would be my choice for Special Teams. We'll also have to see what the addition of Chris Williams means).

Player: Solomon Elimimian (Travis Lulay)
Defensive: Solomon Elimimian (Chandler Fenner)
Canadian: Hunter Steward (Shaq Johnson)
Offensive Lineman: Hunter Steward (Cody Husband)
Special Teams: Ty Long (Chris Rainey)
Rookie: Ty Long (Micah Awe)

A case could be made to flip-flop Player, but I figured Travis has only played 3 games, so the sample size isn't big enough.

That list looks pretty good to me, David. And I agree with your comments re flip-flop potential. I'd definitely want to include an 'Offensive' category, and write in Bryan Burnham.
David
Team Captain

Thanks for the feedback Ernie. Yes, certainly Burnham. My write-in vote might actually be Jeremiah Johnson. I just like his consistency, versatility, and professionalism. To think, my runner-up for Outstanding Player in Lulay may not even be on the next list at the half or 3/4 mark as he'll likely be relegated to the bench!

My vote for "Most Improved Player" would be Lulay with Iannuzzi as the runner-up. While it might be hard to say that Lulay is vastly improved over 2016 because we didn't see enough of him, he just looks like the 2011 version. Even in the 2016 West Final, he had his moments but didn't look anywhere near as decisive as he does now, IMO.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

For sure, arguably Jeremiah. I wouldn't hesitate with nominating either of the two (BB16 or JJ24). Due to Jeremiah's versatility, as you cited, he might have a leg up on Bryan, now that I think on it. I'm a huge fan of both fellows. Real talented, real nice guys.

About your remark regards Lulay perhaps not even being in the picture at pivot sooner or later, I wonder if Wally would envision a tandem arrangement at all? Perhaps not platooning one in for the other over the course of a game (although there's that too) but more-so strategically pitting either one up against a given week's competition depending on how they match up. Travis might match up better against a certain team, and Jonathan against another? If there's any two guys that could handle that without ego issues it would be those two. (I recall the old days in our league I think it was Tom Clements nicely shared duties, and also Tom Wilkinson as I recall.) Memory fails who they shared with though -- Lol. Anyhow, that's another topic. Don't mean to derail this topic before it gets out of the station.

Those two names for your 'Most Improved' category are solid suggestions. I can't think of anyone over them, although Hunter Steward comes to mind (yet again) as a third name here, in my mind. Or Chandler Fenner (also again). But in the end, I gotta go with Lulay. But, yeah, Marco I. is among our top four receivers (according to the stats sheet), contributing nicely. I'm happy for him.
David
Team Captain

Good call Ernie on Fenner for Most Improved. Of course, both he and Marco have been placed into situations this year where they're going to make plays (or not), and both have stepped up thus far, IMO.

I can't see Wally making it a 2 QB system. I think this is Jennings team, but Travis has served notice to the league that he's more than just a capable mentor and clipboard holder. In some ways, Jonathon may feel a bit more pressure to show that he's still the #1 QB - hopefully he won't be looking over his shoulder. Should that happen, the classy Travis will settle him down.

To answer your question, I believe it was Clements and Holloway and Wilkie and Lemmerman (or Moon). No match for Tagge - Keithley! lol

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Ee gads! My grey matter couldn't retrieve that (Keithley) from my between-the-ears archives! I had to do a quick online search to make certain you weren't inventing phantom quarterbacks! Records I found indicate one Gary Keithley started one game in each of his two seasons (late 1970s) with us. And that he was in fact a second-round NFL draft pick, and ended up with a 35.7 QB rating. I'm not up on career rating calculations for QBs but I'm guessing that's not good! Perhaps that 'cardiac kid' era was just too hard on me and footnote players (no personal offense intended regards him) such as Keithley didn't quite register with me. Thanks for the laugh (I think). And, yes, thanks -- those other QB tandems/names immediately rang the bell, of course. Hmm. What can I say... I'm trying to find shelter from the heatwave here at 'Empire Fields Forever' but my invisible stadium affords no shade at all. I need a drink... Oh! there, that's Gary K. He's coming my way. Am I delirious? Is this the field of dreams? Lol. (sorry, too much time on my hands today!)