CFL Games of Week 6, July 27 - July 29

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

MTL @ WPG ... Two teams, not long on talent, but well-coached and playing well. Alouettes, 2 and 3, visit the Bombers, 2 and 2. Tossup, IMO.

BC @ EDM ... Something of an acid test for the Lions, 4 and 1. The Schmos, 4 and 0, have been playing us tough with Reilly at the helm. IMO Jason Maas is another coach who digs fairly deep into the tape. Two old friends, Lulay and Reilly face off. Slight edge to the Schmos.

TOR @ SSK ... The Argos, 3 and 2, visit the Riders, 1 and 3. This fan gets the feeling that Chris Jones has burned down the house in his efforts to remake the Riders in his own image. I do not think his players have given up on him. Yet? Take the Argos.

HAM @ CGY ... It would be a shock if the stumbling TiCats, 0 and 4, can go into Calgary, 3, 1 and 1, and win. Fire up the Kent Austin emotional meltdown watch. Stampeders to win. A whupping?
2017-07-25_0903.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Win/Loss

Points for and against
2017-07-25_0918.png
2017-07-25_0918_001.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Edmonton is due for a loss and the Lions are the team to do it.
pennw
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:58 pm
Edmonton is due for a loss and the Lions are the team to do it.
Sometimes BC plays better in their park than at home , so don't rule it out.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

and the wieners are

wpg
bc
sask
cal

no points for the east this weekend.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Gonna slip this in here, as the Argos get ready to face the Riders.

The Argos celebrate and remember, Grey Cup victory and Don Matthews.

Every coach has his own way. Matthews certainly had his way, and it resonated with players.
“I remember the first day I met him he said, ‘Doug, you’re my quarterback. If you throw five interceptions you’re going to get a chance to throw six,'” Flutie says, laughing.

Just by saying that, you knew he had confidence in you. Any risk I wanted to take, he was behind it. A trick play? Go, run it, do what you feel. It put
2017-07-25_2136.png
you at ease and allowed you to play. If you’re looking over your shoulder or you’re thinking too much out there it slows you down. All of Don’s players, we played at full speed because we knew he had our back.
Matthews liberated his players from fear. They could play for the joy and fun of the game. He had their backs, and he gave them confidence. He was a rare one. God bless.

Growing up in an earlier era, I thought Jackie Parker was the greatest player ever in the CFL. But Doug Flutie is certainly worthy of the title as well.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Media picks ...
2017-07-27_0646.png

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Montreal leading 24-14 at the half. Bombers have sacked Darian Durant 3 times in the game.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Game tied at 24 with the Als threatening on the Bomber one yard line to open the 4th quarter.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What an unbelievable finish. Als lead 40-28 with about 3 minutes remaining. Inexplicably Als went to a very passive prevent defence thus allowing the Blue Bombers to march the length of the field to score to narrow the score to 40-35. Bombers recovered the ensuing on side kick and Andrew Harris scored the winning touchdown on the last play of the game to win 41-40
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Well Chap, now you now how it feels to watch a coordinator stop doing everything that was working while a victory turns into a loss.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wow. Just another CFL barnburner.

Bombers come back and beat the Alouettes.

I respect both Head Coaches, but was actually rooting a little bit for Jacques' team.

And of course Andrew Harris is one of my all time favourite Lions. Last play from the 1 yard line. Harris gets the ball. Hit almost immediately. He holds his ground, inches forward, encounters two more tacklers, holds his balance, edges into the end zone. Incredible. 12/41 on the ground, tough yards. 9/93 on receptions.

As I noted during a previous week, these numbers are the new normal for QBs in the CFL.

Durant 27/35, 77.1%, 348, 2 TDs, 1 Int.

Nichols 34/43, 79.1%, 358, 2 TDs, 0 Ints. And Nichols can actually scramble effectively.

Bombers win 41 - 40 on the last play of the game as Harris runs it in. Check that --> he somehow deals with three would-be tacklers, keeps his balance and finally noses the ball into the end zone.
2017-07-27_2326.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

As Don Cherry would say: "A good, Canadian kid."

Running back Andrew Harris.

This picture says it all. LOL
2017-07-27_2333.png
As I have noted before, re Walter Payton, they used to say: "As tough as a Tonka Toy." Same for Andrew Harris.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Nice to see Beaulieu run over Loffler, whose style of play I do not like, as being dangerous to himself and others, but one that I acknowledge for his effective, committed play.

BTW Loffler is a candidate for CTE.
2017-07-27_2342.png
2017-07-27_2342_001.png
2017-07-27_2343.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

One more pic ... Crunch.
2017-07-27_2348.png
Beaulieu then sprints down the sideline. Round 6 draft pick. :thup: