Lions 45 - Bombers 42, Post-Game Stats and Comments.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:29 pm
What constitutes roughing the kicker? I always thought if the would be blocker did NOT contact the ball and struck the kicker, it was a penalty. However in this case, the blocker contacted the ball before Long had even kicked it and then struck his kicking leg. So to my way of thinking, the blocker did not actually block a kick before stricking Long.
Long was just a ballcarrier at that point and fair game for any defender to hit. The most amazing thing to me is that even though the defender contacted the ball before it hit Long's foot, and contacted Long's knee before he kicked it, Long still had enough power in his swing to kick the ball across the line of scrimmage after it bounced on the turf. It doesn't count as a blocked kick because it crossed the line of scrimmage but it triggered a no-yards penalty against the Lions and set up the Bombers' first TD.
almo89
Legend

Thanks to a certain Youtuber, I don't need to PVR my games anymore. I just watched the whole game on Youtube and man Hunter Steward is a stud.
BC 1988
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:33 pm
Surprisingly, Ty Long showed no lingering effects from his hyperextended knee in the first quarter. Hopefully it won't flare up today.
Ty Long is a real gamer. I hadn't heard he had sustained an injury until now, I assumed he was fine. He was able to perform very effectively the rest of the way. Looks like the Lions made the right choice.
CardiacKid
Legend

almo89 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:14 pm
Thanks to a certain Youtuber, I don't need to PVR my games anymore. I just watched the whole game on Youtube and man Hunter Steward is a stud.
Don't expect the game or future games to remain available. There have been folks posting games in the past only to have their accounts deleted and the games removed. Try using a YouTube dowloader to save the game for perpetuity.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:52 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:33 pm
South Pender wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:18 pm
I had to be in and out for this game and am wondering what the injury toll was for the Lions. I gather that Gaitor was injured, but who else--and how serious for each?
Kenyan Parker, who replaced Gaitor, left in the second quarter with a shoulder injury. No word on the severity of those injuries but there is speculation that both players could miss next week's game in Edmonton.

Surprisingly, Ty Long showed no lingering effects from his hyperextended knee in the first quarter. Hopefully it won't flare up today.
I think Parker is likely out for a few games. As he walked slowly across the field he was supporting his right arm/shoulder with his left hand and the trainer had his hand up under Parker's right shoulder pad seemingly supporting his right shoulder. I think the shoulder is likely separated or dislocated. If not that then possibly broken collarbone.
Apparently it's the same shoulder that was operated on previously.
almo89
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:25 pm
almo89 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:14 pm
Don't expect the game or future games to remain available. There have been folks posting games in the past only to have their accounts deleted and the games removed. Try using a YouTube dowloader to save the game for perpetuity.
Ya I've seen one deleted that was from last year. Last resort I can watch them on demand on tsn.ca using my Shaw email login.
pennw
Legend

To me it looked like Rolly Lumbala could have blocked that guy but chose not to .
CardiacKid
Legend

If the roof was open and BCPlace not so muggy, would have Medlock's game-ending FG attempt had more distance? His kick just seemed to die and I would typically pick Medlock to make those 50 yarders.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

pennw wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:21 pm
On the "to many men" penalty , Micah Awe , instead of running off to the sideline , should have gone down on the field and saved the penalty . He was limping , so obviously nicked . Had he gone down with that nick we would not have that call against us . There was some lack of being on the ball there . Bombers had one their guys go down on the field as he got close to the sideline , when he could have easily ran off , giving them a time out when they needed it .
That one demonstrates a lack of coaching on the Lions part vs good coaching on the Bombers part. O'Shea is a details Xs and Os guy, Wally is not.
Dusty
Champion

DanoT wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:27 pm
pennw wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:21 pm
On the "to many men" penalty , Micah Awe , instead of running off to the sideline , should have gone down on the field and saved the penalty . He was limping , so obviously nicked . Had he gone down with that nick we would not have that call against us . There was some lack of being on the ball there . Bombers had one their guys go down on the field as he got close to the sideline , when he could have easily ran off , giving them a time out when they needed it .
That one demonstrates a lack of coaching on the Lions part vs good coaching on the Bombers part. O'Shea is a details Xs and Os guy, Wally is not.
There was a LOT of confusion between the players and the coaches in the last part of the game, including one play where there was only 1 defender on the LOS when the ball was snapped... It looked like the Leo defenders did not know what the scheme was and kept looking at the sidelines almost until the ball was snapped before getting into their stance... that's gotta improve!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The latest word on Jennings' injury, from Jason Botchford in The Province, is that he has torn ligaments in his shoulder and is expected to be out three to six weeks.

Fun, frenetic, CFL football on full display in Lions’ win
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:04 am
Nice work Joe on those break downs . Steward at LT is looking like a great move that would not have happened with out the Olfioye trade . On a lot of those nice blocks by Steward it should be noted that David Foucault did a nice job sealing the DTs to the inside , just as important .
BC 1988 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:49 am
Of course, WPG was missing a few starters on D, but (echoing WCJ) kudos to how solid the o-line was (compared to the breakdowns in HAM). TL14 had plenty of time to work most of the game.
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:28 am
Great breakdowns, WCJ. I love watching Hunter Steward. His two blocks on the QB draw were spectacular. Cody Husband is an unsung hero in the middle of the line but is usually hard to find in the middle of all the big bodies. Johnson, Fabien and Foucault have all cleaned up their play and the unit is coming together. Foucault was grinning ear to ear when he walked off the field with Steward at the end of the game. Steward was smiling too, but I got the sense that he expects to play this way every game, and come out with the victory.
Thanks, Guys. That kind of breakdown, with conversion into pictures, takes a lot of time. Not going to do it every game, but that game was so exciting and involving that the energy and interest were there to do it.

We won. Great game to win. Tough game to lose. But Winnipeg is very resilient under their Head Coach, Mike O'Shea. They will soak it up and move on.

As BCFAN noted, we kept Winnipeg in the game with turnovers, et cetera, and, I would add, some detailed game preparation by O'Shea and his staff.

Others will not agree with this idea, but it seems to me that we tie one hand behind our backs by not doing detailed prep to the extent that other teams are doing it. Wally chooses to focus on our preparedness to run our own systems, not worrying too much about what the other team is going to do.

O'Shea is very tricky. He dissects the tape looking for vulnerabilities and tendencies. We really see it on STs, his former bailiwick as ST coordinator. I credit him for that. IMO he has taken a roster that is not at the top in terms of talent, and has them competing very, very well. LaPolice is top notch as an OC. Richie Hall as DC is very experienced and wily. The Bombers play tough.

The punt block, the fake field goal, and even Nichols run for a touchdown are examples of plays, based on detailed prep, that can be very, very successful, if you dig deep into the film, and plan accordingly.

When Wally retires with records that will not likely be broken, he will possibly be the end of an old school approach in football at the pro level. Mark W and Khari can do the detailed prep, but it is not the key focus of our philosophy. We want to hit hard, execute our systems at the highest level, and play a man's game, in your face. No tricks or "cheap stuff." IMO old school can still work, especially in season, but not so much into the playoffs. And of course, Wally, the old fox, does adapt as he sees fit.

We will take the win. It was another CFL game at the highest level of excitement and entertainment. :thup:

Lots of praise for Hunter Steward, deservedly so. He seems to have so many things going for him: his size, athleticism, calmness, technique, his footwork, balance, use of his long reach. He can really get position, lock on, and dominate with his strength. And it seems to me his leadership is having a very positive effect on the entire O Line. It seems this also comes from Cody Husband. It is a real treat to see. Credit also to Dan Dorazio. I get the feeling that the guys are not being overloaded with mental keys, that they are able to capitalize on their physical talents. :thup:

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Manny hanging on with a grip of steel.
2017-07-22_0244.png
2017-07-22_0244_001.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:04 pm
If the roof was open and BCPlace not so muggy, would have Medlock's game-ending FG attempt had more distance? His kick just seemed to die and I would typically pick Medlock to make those 50 yarders.
Watching Medlock go through his pre-kick routine you can see why he is so accurate. That kick was going right down the middle but how can you leave it short? The most vital part of all and he didn't even give it a chance.
Like leaving a putt to win the Masters a foot short. At least get the distance right and if it sails wide, so be it.
Maybe the "dead air" inside BC Place contributed to it but he should have known based on warm-up how much leg he needed to put into 50 or more yard FG attempts. You always see the kickers out early from halftime to practice their kicks. Just a major gaffe by the league best kicker.

Just one of the many different storylines in another epic clash with the Bombers. That's four straight crazy back-and-forth games dating back to last season.

For a while I thought Travis was too locked in on Ianuzzi as the Bombers scored 21 unanswered 3rd quarter points. But he did explain in the post-game how the Bombers were mixing up their coverage with zone on Manny and man-to-man on Burnham.
Two straight 400 yard passing games is remarkable.
Yes, this is Jennings team but the talk and idea of Travis sliding into a coaching role now seems like a distant memory. He keeps this up and suddenly him playing as a No. 1 for another CFL team in 2018 seems highly probable.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

SammyGreene wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:38 am
CardiacKid wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:04 pm
Watching Medlock go through his pre-kick routine you can see why he is so accurate. That kick was going right down the middle but how can you leave it short? The most vital part of all and he didn't even give it a chance.
Like leaving a putt to win the Masters a foot short. At least get the distance right and if it sails wide, so be it.
Maybe the "dead air" inside BC Place contributed to it but he should have known based on warm-up how much leg he needed to put into 50 or more yard FG attempts. You always see the kickers out early from halftime to practice their kicks. Just a major gaffe by the league best kicker.

Just one of the many different storylines in another epic clash with the Bombers. That's four straight crazy back-and-forth games dating back to last season.

For a while I thought Travis was too locked in on Ianuzzi as the Bombers scored 21 unanswered 3rd quarter points. But he did explain in the post-game how the Bombers were mixing up their coverage with zone on Manny and man-to-man on Burnham.
Two straight 400 yard passing games is remarkable.
Yes, this is Jennings team but the talk and idea of Travis sliding into a coaching role now seems like a distant memory. He keeps this up and suddenly him playing as a No. 1 for another CFL team in 2018 seems highly probable.

IMO, with Lulay's chronic bad throwing shoulder a team can't or shouldn't really put all its eggs in one basket by having him as a starting QB. If that was Lulay taking that hit in Hamilton instead of Jennings, how much more serious would that injury and time lost rehabbing be?

Lions usually do a 60/40 split with 1st and 2nd string QBs taking first team reps in practice. With rookie Alex Ross now the second string QB, I would suggest a 50/50 split on first team reps.