Lions 45 - Bombers 42, Post-Game Stats and Comments.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Great breakdowns, WCJ. I love watching Hunter Steward. His two blocks on the QB draw were spectacular. Cody Husband is an unsung hero in the middle of the line but is usually hard to find in the middle of all the big bodies. Johnson, Fabien and Foucault have all cleaned up their play and the unit is coming together. Foucault was grinning ear to ear when he walked off the field with Steward at the end of the game. Steward was smiling too, but I got the sense that he expects to play this way every game, and come out with the victory.
Figaro
Rookie

A few observations:

Maxx Forde has got to start. He not only got 2 tackles and a sack but when he was in the game he made the other linemen better. He is a starter and possible all-star. I would also like to see more of Menard and how about some Josh Shirley - he needs to get more chances.

Micah Awe is AWE-some (5 tackles). Yes he missed on some plays, but he is young and learning. It appears that is a quick learner and doesn't make the same mistake twice - he has a great mentor in Elimimian and it is obvious he listens to him. When he arrives, it is not just a tackle, it is a collision. Love the energy.

With the changes to the secondary during the game, moving Purifoy to the nickel really improved his play. This is really where he needs to start. Fenner is a raw talent that gets better with each game. He was beaten badly on Denmark's touchdown, but that seemed to be his only egregious error. Otherwise he hits like Awe ( 9 tackles and one sack!). Both of them on special teams are fun to watch. Dyshawn Davis - we have to find a way of getting him into the game more. Impressive debut (5 tackles.)

Ty Long is a football player. He was really played out on that block - not the namby pamby touch spin and dive, but really hit in an awkward position. Gets up off the mat and kicks two 34 yard field goals - one a game winner and his kick offs seem to get better after the hit. Ty could be the answer to all the kicking problems period.

Lulay? Of course. The man is a leader in all areas - and leads by example. The team is really in sync with him right now - so much that the team may take a bit more time to give Jennings a chance to fully recover. If Lulay beats Edmonton next week, Jennings may find he needs an extra week to heal.

I want to give a shout out to Marco Iannuzzi (6 receptions) This guy is having his best season yet. Lulay would go to him a lot because Burnham (what can I add 6 catches for 150 yds!), Moore and Manny were covered. Then after two or three tosses to Iannuzzi, the others became more open as the Winnipeg defence tried to account for Marco. He took some hellacious hits and still hung on. I think that Jeremiah Johnson needs more than 12 touches (9 runs, 3 receptions). The guy can really have punishing runs. Glad they gave him the ball when they were on the 5 yard line - JJ24 has a nose for the end zone.

On another note, why are we always stuck with that announcing team Suitor and Cuthbert? For example, Lulay and receivers torched Loffler (3 tackles) over and over again - did they mention perhaps a sophomore jinx or something? No, Suitor kept repeating how tough Loffler is and that Manny and Marco were intimidated by him whenever they caught the ball. There must be better. Duane Ford is an improvement.

Our special teams may not have looked the best in the league last night and I think that is because they were up against the best in the league with the Winnipeg ST. They were better but not that much better.

Over all? This was a barn burner. Typical CFL: exciting, fast and hard hitting. Great game by both teams. Looking forward to the next two meetings, both in Winnipeg at the end of the season - get those chin straps on tight!
Figaro
Rookie

I forgot to mention in my last post - Hunter Stewart for major of the line of scrimmage. Hands down the best left tackle in the game right now. His blocking on the Lulay touchdown was a thing of beauty and power. Total domination.

Now if we could only get the right side working as well....
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Should the rallying cry at the end of the game be Hold Him Up or is it not in their dna. I'm thinking Purifoys tackle with a second on the clock left. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
South Pender
Legend

I had to be in and out for this game and am wondering what the injury toll was for the Lions. I gather that Gaitor was injured, but who else--and how serious for each?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

South Pender wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:18 pm
I had to be in and out for this game and am wondering what the injury toll was for the Lions. I gather that Gaitor was injured, but who else--and how serious for each?
Gaitor has a bruised thigh muscle or something like that and that may mean he plays next game or gets on the 1 game injury list.

Anthony Parker has a more serious shoulder injury, I think, and will most likely miss several games.

So with Parker out that only leaves Buchnor as the ony backup National DB. However if Thompson needs to come off the field and is replaced by a International, the Lions can then comfortably keep either Menard or Forde on the field to maintain the National Ratio.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

South Pender wrote:
Kenyan Parker, who replaced Gaitor, left in the second quarter with a shoulder injury. No word on the severity of those injuries but there is speculation that both players could miss next week's game in Edmonton.

Surprisingly, Ty Long showed no lingering effects from his hyperextended knee in the first quarter. Hopefully it won't flare up today.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Ballistic Bob wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:18 pm
If anybody wonders why Rainey didn't take a knee it would be for point differential. Stull risky though
Never thought of that. All I was thinking was fall to the turf before something bad happens. Having said that they play the Bombers 3 times this year so point differential can only come into play if they happen to tie 1 of the 2 remaining games and the Bombers win the other,

Another possible twist of fate to Winnipeg's benefit was when Harris caught the ball on the last play prior to the FG attempt. Had Purifoy held him up for one more second before bringing him down time would have expired.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:30 pm
South Pender wrote:
Gaitor has a bruised thigh muscle or something like that and that may mean he plays next game or gets on the 1 game injury list.

Anthony Parker has a more serious shoulder injury, I think, and will most likely miss several games.

So with Parker out that only leaves Buchnor as the ony backup National DB. However if Thompson needs to come off the field and is replaced by a International, the Lions can then comfortably keep either Menard or Forde on the field to maintain the National Ratio.
They still have the rookie Hamlin on the PR.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:33 pm
South Pender wrote:
Kenyan Parker, who replaced Gaitor, left in the second quarter with a shoulder injury. No word on the severity of those injuries but there is speculation that both players could miss next week's game in Edmonton.

Surprisingly, Ty Long showed no lingering effects from his hyperextended knee in the first quarter. Hopefully it won't flare up today.
I think Parker is likely out for a few games. As he walked slowly across the field he was supporting his right arm/shoulder with his left hand and the trainer had his hand up under Parker's right shoulder pad seemingly supporting his right shoulder. I think the shoulder is likely separated or dislocated. If not that then possibly broken collarbone.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Buddy Jackson and Steven Clarke are experienced international DBs. Either could be activated along with rookie national CB Nate Hamlin, who looked good in camp. Both internationals could be activated if the Lions remove one of their two backup international linemen, Andrew Hudson or Josh Shirley.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Figaro wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:32 am
On another note, why are we always stuck with that announcing team Suitor and Cuthbert? For example, Lulay and receivers torched Loffler (3 tackles) over and over again - did they mention perhaps a sophomore jinx or something? No, Suitor kept repeating how tough Loffler is and that Manny and Marco were intimidated by him whenever they caught the ball. There must be better. Duane Ford is an improvement.
Probably logistics. I think Suitor lives in Vancouver or somewhere west and Cuthbert in Calgary. Most of their other personnel are located out in Toronto. I did also note #16 Loffler being in a lot of BC offensive highlights mostly in a chase type position.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:58 pm
Buddy Jackson and Steven Clarke are experienced international DBs. Either could be activated along with rookie national CB Nate Hamlin, who looked good in camp. Both internationals could be activated if the Lions remove one of their two backup international linemen, Andrew Hudson or Josh Shirley.
Wally has lots of depth everywhere on defence so lots of viable options to backfill for injury.
pennw
Legend

On the "to many men" penalty , Micah Awe , instead of running off to the sideline , should have gone down on the field and saved the penalty . He was limping , so obviously nicked . Had he gone down with that nick we would not have that call against us . There was some lack of being on the ball there . Bombers had one their guys go down on the field as he got close to the sideline , when he could have easily ran off , giving them a time out when they needed it .
CardiacKid
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:33 pm
South Pender wrote:

What constitutes roughing the kicker? I always thought if the would be blocker did NOT contact the ball and struck the kicker, it was a penalty. However in this case, the blocker contacted the ball before Long had even kicked it and then struck his kicking leg. So to my way of thinking, the blocker did not actually block a kick before stricking Long.