Lions 45 - Bombers 42, Post-Game Stats and Comments.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

If someone was watching that game and not enjoying it, they are:

A) not a fan of football played at any level, in any country;
B) without a pulse.

If this game doesn't lead to an increase in even a buzz around the team or even a modest bump in attendance for the next game, then I am at a complete loss at what will.
(Caveat: seeing as the next game is against the Riders, attendance will go up. Probably not the best game to use as a measuring stick).
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

Anyone get a crowd count? Looked like high 17k , maybe low 18 to me.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
BC 1988
Legend

Jim Mullin wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:40 pm
Anyone get a crowd count? Looked like high 17k , maybe low 18 to me.
https://www.cfl.ca/games/2389/winnipeg- ... -bc-lions/
(but I suspect both the Lions and WhiteCaps stopped giving the turnstile count long ago, and go with tickets sold).
Alputt
Champion

I thought the attendance looked a lot better than last time, my section (207) was packed and didn't look like huge gaping holes anywhere except the end zone...

Looking forward to Sask.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Was listening to the radio post-game -- with Farhan and the others all firmly agreeing that the pivotal 'unsportsmanlike' penalty that kept the Bombers' drive alive was not in fact on Anthony Thompson (as called) but actually committed by Mic'hael Brooks. I hate it when the innocent get publicly accused. Thank goodness there's sometimes sideline intel available to us that acts as corrective to some of this type of referee misinformation and gives us the story.
green road kill
Rookie

WOW what a game, I was wondering what type of team we had this year and the answer is simple a dam good one. After the third quarter and the injuries in the secondary this team could have turned turtle and tanked. They could have quit but the didn't, the D got it together,the O started to get rollin and they showed us what type of team we have. One that could win us a GREY CUP.
Our Leo's are the equal to the STUMPS AND ESKS in every way shape and form and no there not better coached than we are.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Incredible game. Special teams, turnovers and penalties nearly cost the Lions the game. B.C. mistakes gave Winnipeg almost all their points. I think the Bombers only generated one or two TD drives on their own, including the third quarter drive that started with a 51-yard bomb to Adams over Ronnie Yell and ended with Adams' second TD on corner routes against T.J. Lee to make it 42-27.

In the end, both teams were true to form. The Bombers have done most of their scoring all year in the second and third quarters but were the league's lowest scoring fourth-quarter team. Going into the game, the Lions had scored nearly half their points in the fourth quarter. Sure enough, Winnipeg scored 35 points in the second and third quarters but the Lions shut them out 18-0 in the fourth quarter to get the victory.

You just have a sense with this team that they play their best with their backs against the wall. It's an admirable quality but the game should not have been that close. Special teams miscues have been discussed. It was clear from the postgame comments of Mike O'Shea that he called the sleeper play, and in fact notified the league during the week that the Bombers were going to run it and wanted to make sure that Medlock's consecutive field-goal streak wouldn't be affected by the onside kick. O'Shea also made it clear that Medlock called the ill-advised fake punt in the fourth quarter that led to the Lions' game-tying touchdown, and that he has the authority to do so if he sees an appropriate situation. O'Shea wouldn't criticize Medlock for the decision but it was obviously the wrong play at the wrong time in the wrong end of the field, and the intended receiver didn't even know the ball was being thrown to him. With the way the ball bounced in Winnipeg's favour on other plays, we'll happily take it. And Medlock's consecutive field goal streak ended anyway on the last play of the game when he was short on a 50-yard attempt, just as he was short on a potential game-winning field goal in the final minute of the 2016 WSF, which was the last time he had missed a field goal attempt.

I can't stress how impressed I am with the play of Travis Lulay. He sees everything on the field and knows where to deliver the ball. He's thrown a few picks in each of his two games, but the good plays far outweigh the bad. The biggest change in his physical play is his arm strength. He made a lot of throws that he couldn't have made in the past three years because his arm wasn't strong enough. It was clear in training camp that his arm was as strong as ever, and in fact is probably stronger than it was in 2011 when he was MOP and led the Lions to a Grey Cup. He made a lot of 50-yard throws across the field to wide receivers who were left open when Winnipeg rolled their coverage away from them. No defence has ever had to worry about Lulay making those throws in the past. He also threw some deliberate 40-yard back-shoulder balls to Bryan Burnham, who had an outstanding game. If not for a few drops by Iannuzzi and Arceneaux, Lulay would have easily broken his personal best of 436 passing yards he set last week.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CFL football at it's fnest. High scoring, back and forth. What more can you ask ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The fourth quarter shutout is impressive given the was the defence was shuffled at halftime due to injuries. Bucknor played field corner, Fenner moved from nickel to field halfback, Thompson moved from field corner to safety and Purifoy moved from safety to nickel. That's four changes, with only Yell and Lee in their usual places. It took a while for the players to adjust to their new roles in the third quarter but they stepped up when the game was on the line, holding Winnipeg to only two first downs in the fourth quarter, one of them on a penalty on the final drive and the other on a third-down gamble on the same drive. Winnipeg's longest completion of the quarter was 9 yards.

After the game, Wally said he didn't know the severity of Gaitor's injury but he said the team has lots of depth, as they showed tonight, and they have Buddy Jackson and Steven Clarke chomping at the bit to get some game action if Gaitor can't play next week. With the way Forde, Luke and Menard played on the D-line (Forde had a sack, a forced fumble and two tackles while Menard had a sack), the Lions could activate both Clarke and Jackson next week and drop a backup D-lineman, either Hudson or Shirley.
CardiacKid
Legend

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:07 am
Was listening to the radio post-game -- with Farhan and the others all firmly agreeing that the pivotal 'unsportsmanlike' penalty that kept the Bombers' drive alive was not in fact on Anthony Thompson (as called) but actually committed by Mic'hael Brooks. I hate it when the innocent get publicly accused. Thank goodness there's sometimes sideline intel available to us that acts as corrective to some of this type of referee misinformation and gives us the story.
It looked like Wally was really giving Thompson the gears when he returned to the sidelines. Hopefully they will kiss and make up...

As my adrenaline rush has finally subsided, a few things are gnawing at me slightly. Our return game is not as it was last year and probably not where it could be. Last year, the Lions excelled at managing field position with Leone's punts and Rainey's returns. Going into this year, the questions dealt with the kicking game and not the return game. However, Long has been a revelation and Rainey seems off. There seems to be a degree of hesitancy with Rainey. Good to see Rolly during game balls bring the focus onto improving the special teams as a whole and helping the returners.

Even with the wealth of talent on offence, I would love to see JJ24 get the ball more often. Without actually crunching numbers, the balance in the Leo's attack seems askew when in comparison to last year. I think his workload needs to increase in order to bring his real effectiveness to bear.

Give Manny a chance to get angry and play angry early. If he can get physical with DBs with a straight-arm or two, he seems to come alive and plays with real bite and fire.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Remarkable game. I won't be doing this breakdown by picture for all games, but this game is memorable.

First picture is not pretty. STs. 8 men rushing. 7 men blocking. Hmmmm ... O'Shea profiting from his detailed game prep. Clean run at Long. Blocked kick.
2017-07-22_0216.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Another highlight catch by Bryan Burnham. :thup:
2017-07-22_0220.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Same catch.
2017-07-22_0221.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rainey breaking a Bomber's ankle.
2017-07-22_0222.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Same play. Rainey breaking the ankles of 3 more Bombers.
2017-07-22_0223.png