Lions 45 - Bombers 42, Post-Game Stats and Comments.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:47 pm
The latest word on Jennings' injury, from Jason Botchford in The Province, is that he has torn ligaments in his shoulder and is expected to be out three to six weeks.

Fun, frenetic, CFL football on full display in Lions’ win
That's too bad--worse then we'd hoped. I wonder how effective and aggressive the Lions' rehab protocol is. I remember when Russell Wilson had some leg injuries last season (ankle and knee), he went into a very active rehab program in which he was actually waking up during the night at intervals to carry out some of the procedures. He managed to avoid missing any games through it all, although he wasn't as mobile as he had been.
CardiacKid
Legend

Ballistic Bob wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:54 pm
Should the rallying cry at the end of the game be Hold Him Up or is it not in their dna. I'm thinking Purifoys tackle with a second on the clock left. BB
I remember Scott Flagel being a master of that bit of trickery.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lulay seemed to have fully recovered from his shoulder injury. Throwing tight spirals with lots of zip on the ball.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Harris seemed to run out of gas in the fourth quarter, along with the rest of the Bomber offence. In the first half, he was running through arm tackles, spinning away from would-be tacklers and even hurdling Keynan Parker on one play. In the fourth quarter he was being brought down by one tackler in the open field. In the first half, he had 7 touches for 75 yards. In the fourth quarter, he had 6 touches for just 9 yards.
South Pender
Legend

I think we all agree that Travis Lulay is an intelligent young man (as well as having a winning personality and a number of desirable character traits). But how intelligent? Well, very, as it turns out. For those interested, he scored 37 on the Wonderlic Personnel Test, administered to most NFL hopefuls at the combine. This is a high score. I've analyzed the scores on the Wonderlic of thousands of adults over the years, and Travis's performance puts him in about the upper 3-4% of the general population in general intelligence. The average 4-year college or university graduate scores about 32. Travis's 37 puts him well above that group. The Wonderlic is administered to millions of employees and job-applicants all over the world every year. It's a well-established psychometrically-sound measure of overall general intelligence. Just thought some of you might be interested.:)
CardiacKid
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:21 am
Harris seemed to run out of gas in the fourth quarter, along with the rest of the Bomber offence. In the first half, he was running through arm tackles, spinning away from would-be tacklers and even hurdling Keynan Parker on one play. In the fourth quarter he was being brought down by one tackler in the open field. In the first half, he had 7 touches for 75 yards. In the fourth quarter, he had 6 touches for just 9 yards.
I missed this but my wife spotted Harris leaving the field in a huff, acting all pissy.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

CardiacKid wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:15 pm
I missed this but my wife spotted Harris leaving the field in a huff, acting all pissy.
Not like that would be a first.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
pennw
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:16 pm
CardiacKid wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:15 pm
Not like that would be a first.
One reason I think we are so much better off with JJ24. Harris does get pouty when things don't go his way. Some games he also gets stuffed a lot and can't seem to find the holes . Then gets huffy . Not always a team player . JJ 24 seems to suffer from none of that , couldn't ask for a better team player .
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/07/22/nichols-m ... sing-deal/
Winnipeg was at its own 26-yard line with 8:39 remaining and facing a third-and-15 when the punter Medlock – apparently having the green light to do so – attempted to hit Derek Jones on a fake punt. But Jones didn’t turn his back to see Medlock and the pass was knocked down by Lions’ defender Dakota Brush.

Asked about it afterward, Jones offered a ‘no comment’.

“It was just a mistake,” said Medlock. “I didn’t throw it well. It happens and you move on. I’m not going to point fingers. I’ll take the blame for it.”

Added Head Coach Mike O’Shea:

“It got well covered. They spotted it late and moved that guy on over. It’s offensive football. They’re not covering guys and we have to stop them from rushing (the kicker) like they’re rushing and that’s the way to get them.
''It's offensive football,'' said O'Shea. Sure is. Scary. No rest on STs. ''They spotted it late.'' He and his staff are looking to attack vulnerabilities. ''They’re not covering guys,'' said O'Shea. Detailed game prep, with an attack philosophy. I like it.

Three of the plays I have noted I would not consider gambles or high risk for the Bombers: the punt block, the fake field goal and the Nichols TD run. Of course every football play has risk. The pass by Medlock was high risk. It was a spontaneous call by Medlock himself. Jones was not ready for it.

Medlock has the green light. “I didn’t throw it well. It happens and you move on. I’m not going to point fingers. I’ll take the blame for it.”

Jones was not on the same page as Medlock. The Bombers were obviously prepped for some vulnerability they saw on film. They messed up that time. But this fan likes the attitude: attack. And of course players love that stuff. It is highly motivational. We dodged that bullet. Dakota Brush seemed to sense something suspect, was there in the vicinity, but also seemed surprised by the pass attempt. As it happens, for field position, it was better that he dropped it. IMO we need to do more self-scouting. There are vulnerabilities.

Amazing game. Kind of a head shaker. Up. Down. Up once again. Drama all over the place. Athletic talent on display all over the place, on both sides. Coaching strategy on display. And the sweet taste of victory. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

South Pender wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:57 pm
I think we all agree that Travis Lulay is an intelligent young man (as well as having a winning personality and a number of desirable character traits). But how intelligent? Well, very, as it turns out. For those interested, he scored 37 on the Wonderlic Personnel Test, administered to most NFL hopefuls at the combine. This is a high score. I've analyzed the scores on the Wonderlic of thousands of adults over the years, and Travis's performance puts him in about the upper 3-4% of the general population in general intelligence. The average 4-year college or university graduate scores about 32. Travis's 37 puts him well above that group. The Wonderlic is administered to millions of employees and job-applicants all over the world every year. It's a well-established psychometrically-sound measure of overall general intelligence. Just thought some of you might be interested.:)
I thought it was a football aptitude test that was administered to NFL hopefuls and I had heard that Jason Maas scored among the highest ever, hence his rapid rise to the HC position.

I have always considered Lulay to be an excellent communicator and when he was interviewed on TSN1040 after the Bomber game he sounded more like a coach answering questions than a player,

Later when interviewing Manny they asked him what it was like in the huddle and playing with Lulay as opposed to Jennings. Manny replied that Lalay reads and recognizes things very quickly and "Lulay is coaching us up in the huddle".

I think Luay's mentoring of Jennings has also helped Lulay because as he is explaining things to Jennings it also acts as a review of the nuances and finer points of the CFL game for himself.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Thanks to Medlock's failed pass, followed by Nichols' interception, the Lions scored 11 late points off turnovers and won the turnover battle 3-2. Gambling in football is like gambling elsewhere. It's great if you win but can be costly if you lose. I've seen O'Shea's teams gamble and lose a lot.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:23 pm
Thanks to Medlock's failed pass, followed by Nichols' interception, the Lions scored 11 late points off turnovers and won the turnover battle 3-2. Gambling in football is like gambling elsewhere. It's great if you win but can be costly if you lose. I've seen O'Shea's teams gamble and lose a lot.
Over the years, many on here including myself have been critical of Wally's conservative ways. However, I much prefer Wally's conservatism to O'Shea's reckless, unnecessary gambles.

The failed fake punt was such a bad call, based on the score, field position, and time remaining that I still can't believe that O'Shea made that call. Neither could Jones, the intended receiver on that play.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:39 am

The failed fake punt was such a bad call, based on the score, field position, and time remaining that I still can't believe that O'Shea made that call. Neither could Jones, the intended receiver on that play.
Had the play been successful pundits will be calling it a brilliant and gutsy call given the above factors.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:55 am
DanoT wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:39 am

Had the play been successful pundits will be calling it a brilliant and gutsy call given the above factors.
Even if successful the play would still be high risk and poor timing, imo. One of the reasons that Wally tries 2 point converts (high risk/high reward) early in a game is that if it fails you have the entire remainder of the game to make up the self inflicted deficit. This is a sound approach to risk management, while O'Shea's risk management leaves a lot to be desired. That said O'Shea's much earlier in the game fake FG/on side man play call was brilliant.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Here's a good breakdown from a Bomber perspective of how the Lions exploited the Bomber secondary. For the second week in a row, Khari Jones and Travis Lulay relentlessly picked on inexperienced members of the opposition secondary to rack up over 400 yards passing. Kudos to Khari for the game prep and Lulay for reading and recognizing coverages and distributing the ball accordingly.

Bomber Buzz: How Lulay, BC Lions’ Offense Attacked Bombers’ Field-Side Secondary

It also bears repeating that the Travis Lulay we're seeing in 2017 has a strong arm that can exploit the wide side of the field. The Travis Lulay we saw in 2014, 2015 and 2016 couldn't have made those throws.