Operation Orange

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:49 am
I strongly recommend going to the Regina game, not just to see the new stadium (looked very impressive from the outside when I drove by it during a recent trip to Regina) but just to experience how the whole city goes football crazy leading up to and during game day.
That is a great point Danny. It's an experience like no other. If you are tired of the Lions always being second fiddle to everything then Regina is a must. Still remember being at the downtown mall on game day at 10 am and seeing so many wearing Rider jerseys including most store employees. And the game didn't start until 8 pm!

I also got the email for the Ottawa trip. Sounds like a good one. My only wish was it was at least a night game, not afternoon. Arriving there at 4 pm Friday then the game starting 3:30 pm Saturday leaves a real small window to do much in the way of sightseeing (a big deal to me as I have never been to the nation's capital before). The pre-game meal with the players will probably be around 10 or 11 am at the latest. Then you are on the charter right after the game heading home.
BC 1988
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:02 am
I also got the email for the Ottawa trip. Sounds like a good one. My only wish was it was at least a night game, not afternoon. Arriving there at 4 pm Friday then the game starting 3:30 pm Saturday leaves a real small window to do much in the way of sightseeing (a big deal to me as I have never been to the nation's capital before). The pre-game meal with the players will probably be around 10 or 11 am at the latest. Then you are on the charter right after the game heading home.
Last night they ran an ad for the Operation Orange OTT trip on the video screen, so it hasn't yet sold out for ST holders.

I already booked my trip there for my friend and I for that game back in June (done on the cheap using a 2 night hotel voucher I had to use this summer and Aeroplan miles.) We ended up North Side lower Section B-there were no pairs available closer to midfield even buying them the minute the general public onsale started.

I doubt I would have bought the OO trip since, as you say, it's way too time compressed. (Also, with the Canada 150 celebrations, there is even more to see there than usual). Neither of us have been there before, and we were able to get a 2 night stopover in Toronto on the return trip (he hasn't seen any of TO other than sitting at YYZ for a connecting flight).

I recall reading about the last OO OTT trip in 2014. Notahomer described it here and they had a more practical extra day there. Of course that was the nightmare game-BC won 7-5, but there was a rainstorm delay that caused TL to slip and undo months of rehab on his shoulder.

Here's hoping for better weather this time.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

BC 1988 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:30 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:02 am
Last night they ran an ad for the Operation Orange OTT trip on the video screen, so it hasn't yet sold out for ST holders.

I already booked my trip there for my friend and I for that game back in June (done on the cheap using a 2 night hotel voucher I had to use this summer and Aeroplan miles.) We ended up North Side lower Section B-there were no pairs available closer to midfield even buying them the minute the general public onsale started.

I doubt I would have bought the OO trip since, as you say, it's way too time compressed. (Also, with the Canada 150 celebrations, there is even more to see there than usual). Neither of us have been there before, and we were able to get a 2 night stopover in Toronto on the return trip (he hasn't seen any of TO other than sitting at YYZ for a connecting flight).

I recall reading about the last OO OTT trip in 2014. Notahomer described it here and they had a more practical extra day there. Of course that was the nightmare game-BC won 7-5, but there was a rainstorm delay that caused TL to slip and undo months of rehab on his shoulder.

Whatever happened to Notahomer? He hasn't posted on Lionbackers in months. Has he become a lurker?
BC 1988
Legend

Notahomer's last post was in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27975&p=355023#p355023
wishing a Happy New Year 2015.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:30 pm

Your trip sounds like a great one BC 1988, especially throwing in a stop over in Toronto as well.
My guess is the Lions re-worked their travel budget this year. The extended stay between the Toronto and Montreal games definitely added to to their hotel and food costs. To balance it, they eliminated the extra day for the trips out to Hamilton and Ottawa.
The Ottawa itinerary is as "tight" as I have ever recalled for an eastern road game, especially with the time difference.

I have no clue what the availability is of Air North for charter flights but one thing I would be all over is a same day return Operation Orange trip for games in Edmonton or Calgary. Say $500-700 for a flight, transfers and game ticket. Leave here early afternoon on game day and be back at YVR around 11.
This Friday's huge game would be ideal and a good time of the year to be sitting outside at Commonwealth!!
BC 1988
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:35 am
My guess is the Lions re-worked their travel budget this year. The extended stay between the Toronto and Montreal games definitely added to to their hotel and food costs. To balance it, they eliminated the extra day for the trips out to Hamilton and Ottawa.
The Ottawa itinerary is as "tight" as I have ever recalled for an eastern road game, especially with the time difference.
Yes, budget (for the team operations) must be the issue. The 3:30pm EDT start on the Saturday (ahead of the TOR-CGY 2nd game at 9pm EDT) is an oddity.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Have a great time in Ottawa CardiacKid. Let us know how the Operation Orange trip went.

BTW: Wally was asked on 3rd Down Radio about the brief time in Ottawa for this trip compared to past seasons for Eastern games. Said players were complaining about the extra night on the road and rather be in their own beds so they listened.
I can see why. On the Operation Orange trip to Regina few years ago, we arrived around 4 p.m. Friday and game time wasn't until 8 pm Saturday. It can also be a lot of downtime for the players.

Can't see it being a huge disadvantage anyways. Game time tomorrow is usually when they are on the practice field. No body clock adjustments required. Eastern teams comparing here for 7 pm PDT kickoffs on the other hand...