Lions at Tiger-Cats July 15, 2017

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions are in Hamilton to face the Ticats Saturday afternoon.

This will be a battle of a B.C. offence looking for a breakout game against a pressure-oriented Hamilton defence that has been lit up for an average of 443 yards passing in their two games against Ricky Ray and Kevin Glenn. The Ticats under DC Jeff Reinebold like to blitz and play press man coverage in behind. It hasn't worked. They haven't got to the quarterback nearly enough and they haven't been able to cover. This sets up well from the Lions if they can protect Jonathon Jennings long enough to find an open receiver.

The Lions have only one change in their starting lineup. Andrew Hudson comes off the 1-game injured and starts at rush end. DeQuin Evans, who has played well through the first three games, may be scratched. Also added to the roster is WR Stephen Adekolu as a backup to Shaq Johnson but he too may be scratched. Dylan Ainsworth moves to the suspended list and Swayze Waters, who was scratched in the first three games, has been released.

Besides playing poorly on both sides of the ball during their 0-2 start, the Ticats have been hit by injuries. Free-agent DB Abdul Kanneh hasn't been healthy enough to play so far this season and won't be activated this week so their inexperienced secondary won't get any help. Linebacker Will Hill, who has been one of the few bright spots on the Hamilton defence, is suspended this week for grabbing an official in Regina. Keon Lyn, who hasn't played a game since his last year of college in 2013, is expected to replace Hill. Linebacker Simoni Lawrence and centre Mike Filer, who were both hurt last week in Regina, are expected to play.

On offence, former Atlanta Falcons lineman LaMarr Holmes, who hasn't played a regular season game in two years and was signed just three weeks ago, starts at right tackle for the Ticats.

Anything can happen when the Lions play in Hamilton. The Ticats are in disarray under fiery head coach Kent Austin. The defence can't stop anyone and the offence can't move the ball. Austin took over play-calling duties last week from offensive coordinator Stefan Ptaszek. According to Hamilton reporter Drew Edwards, Austin won't say who will call the plays this week. If either team gets out to an early lead, it can make a big difference to Hamilton's fragile confidence. But unless the Lions give this game away through turnovers, they should prevail.
Qman
Champion

Evans has a shoulder injury according to Farhan
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Qman wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:39 am
Evans has a shoulder injury according to Farhan
That explains it. I thought it must be an injury of some sort. This is a good chance for Hudson to use his speed, especially against an oversized right tackle who has never played a CFL game.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Here are a few stats and trivia items from the CFL's weekly Game Notes:

- This is the first time in the Lions' 64-year history that they've had to play three straight games in the East.
- Solomon Elimimian's team-record 15 tackles last week marked the 15th time he has had at least 10 tackles in a game. That's three more times than next-best Barrin Simpson.
- The Lions have won three straight games against the Ticats and have not lost to Hamilton with Jonathon Jennings as B.C.'s starting QB.
- Hamilton has lost 8 of their last 9 games, stretching back to last season and including the East semifinal.
- Hamilton has led for only 5:02 of the 120 minutes they have played this year.
- Hamilton has generated only 416 yards of offence in their two games so far, their lowest offensive output in back-to-back games since their 4-14 season in 2006.
- B.C. has given up a league-best 20.3 points per game. Hamilton has given up a league-worst 34.5 points per game
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Once again I'm hoping the Lions can play a full 60 minutes instead of the opening drive and the 4th quarter. Hope the Lions throw a few screens to capitalize on Hamilton's blitzing.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It's the annual team dinner night hosted by David Braley in Hamilton. This time it's being held at an Italian restaurant.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

That is a very nice picture, courtesy of Marco, and posted by BCFAN.

How many faces can people recognize? Not that many for this fan.

Marco, Jonathon, Travis. Alex with the beard? Players are mostly in T-Shirts. Running out of fresh clothing? Ha ha

David Braley and his wife.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:57 pm
That is a very nice picture, courtesy of Marco, and posted by BCFAN.

How many faces can people recognize? Not that many for this fan.

Marco, Jonathon, Travis. Alex with the beard? Players are mostly in T-Shirts. Running out of fresh clothing? Ha ha

David Braley and his wife.
Well, if you cheat and tap on the picture you'll see their names. Mike Benson, Ty Long, Dakota Brush and Danny Vandervoort are also at the table in the foreground. I wouldn't have recognized Brush.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Yeah, there's no way I would have recognized young Mr. Brush either, but somehow guessed correctly regards all the others at the foreground table. And that's gotta' be Trainer Bill Reichelt in the white shirt at the very back table against the wall, though it's a bit of a blur. I'd guess that's resident scribe Matt Baker two places to the left from Bill, but pretty hard to decipher those faces back there. And of course that's David Braley in the middle of the pic, in the pinkish golf shirt, gazing out on that roomful of hungry young appetites! Hopefully tiger-cat is on the menu for Saturday.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I think I see Neil McAvoy and Jamie Cartmell at Braley's table.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Can the Lions buck the trend this week and be the lone road team to taste victory? Five straight against Western Division teams after today, including 3 against Bombers, Esks and Stamps.
A good time for the Lions offence to start hitting on all cylinders before a vital stretch in their schedule.
Excellent column the other day from Ed Willes on Wally. Didn't realize he has been plagued with back problems of late but of course how many 67-year-olds are working the kind of schedule he is right now? As much as his focus is on this season he also sure must be looking forward to retirement.
He's 67, has a sore back and tired legs. The only thing that doesn't get old in Wally Buono's life is winning.
The story is at least five years in the making, but the latest Intel to emerge from the sale of the B.C. Lions suggests the deal will close by the end of this season or when the polar ice cap melts, whatever comes first.
If that’s the case, it all but confirms the widely held view this is Wally Buono’s final year as the Lions’ head coach and when you see the old Lion struggling with back issues and assorted ailments common to most 67-year-old men, you sense retirement will come as a relief.
That, at least, is one perception. Then you talk to the Lions’ players and a far different perception of their leader comes to light.
“I’ve been hearing (talk of retirement) for a long time,” says Rolly Lumbala, the 10-year vet and the most senior Lion. “I don’t know. He’s in the moment right now. He’s coaching us and that’s all we know.
“He’s not putting any more pressure on us because this is his last year. He’s putting pressure on us to win because that’s always been the case.”

And, as long as he’s standing on the sidelines, always will be.
“Wally’s tough man, and that makes you push more,” says Solomon Elimimian. “We know he’s not in purrfect health but he doesn’t complain about it. Every day he goes out there, he stands up and he coaches with the same passion and energy. He still has the same enthusiasm. He loves the game.”
Buono, of course, has been down the road to Canadian Football League retirement before. In 2011, he moulded arguably the best Lions’ team ever, won a Grey Cup, then stepped away from the coach’s job to concentrate on the GM’s duties.
He then watched as Mike Benevides and Jeff Tedford, two fine coaches in their own right, fail to deliver the desired results. Buono stepped back last year, intimating to members of his staff that he had to coach the team because he couldn’t bear to watch another newbie coach the Lions.
Last year, the team also rebounded from a 7-11 campaign under Tedford to go 12-6 under Buono. This year they’re off to a 2-1 start before Saturday’s meeting with the winless Tiger-Cats (0-2) in Hamilton.
“You see the progress,” Buono says of this year’s Lions. “Are we where we want to be? No. Are we as skilled as we want to be? No. Are we getting better? Yes.”
During the course of a casual conversation, Buono revealed he took the day off last Sunday, went to church and had a picnic with his kids and grandkids.
“First day off since May 21,” he reports. “I enjoyed that.”
But that workload has also taken his toll. When he walked away the first time, Buono was 61 and, after a heart scare in ’04, was in good health. He still looks fit but — and stop us if this sounds familiar to my fellow seniors — he’s developed a back problem which shoots pain through his hips and legs.
“Other than the standing part I’m fine,” Buono says. “Standing on the field is tough. That’s why I’m sitting down more. It’s not because I’m disinterested. I can only stand so much.”
Still, you wouldn’t know it from his on-field presence. Buono coaches this team as hard as he’s ever coached a team over his 23 years on the CFL sidelines. He has his own way, speaking in riddles, asking questions to which only he knows the answers. But he gets massive buy-in from the players who are convinced he knows the way to a championship.
“He keeps everyone accountable,” says Lumbala. “He sees everything. Guys know they can’t get away with a thing and that makes us a better team.”
This year, it has also made the Lions a tougher team according to the coach and that was an off-season focus of his. Buono still has a huge chip to play in speedy receiver/return man Chris Williams, who’s expected to come off the injured list in the next couple of weeks, but he likes the team his home-run hitter will join.
When asked about the changes to the Lions this year, Buono rattles off names like defensive end DeQuin Evans, linebacker Tony Burnett and offensive lineman David Foucault, newcomers who’ve given the Lions a sharper edge.
This week he also committed to Ty Long as his kicker, releasing veteran Swayze Waters. Long has had moments of inconsistency but Buono loved his performance in the 28-15 win over Toronto when, after a couple of shanked punts, he unloaded a pair of rockets in the fourth quarter to bury the Argos deep in their own end.
“I believe we’re a tougher team,” says Buono.
Which is a reflection of the coach and that’s another part of the Buono persona. His profession is demanding enough for a younger man but for a 67-year-old with a bad back and nothing left to prove, the job can be too much.
But Buono, as his players know, isn’t your average senior.
“There are some challenges he’s facing, but when we see him overcome those challenges, none of us should have any excuses,” says Elimimian.
Running back Jeremiah Johnson is asked what he sees when he looks at Buono.
“I see strength and resilience,” Johnson says.
And, hopefully, he’ll see those same traits in his team
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Dakota Brush resembles Stephen Harper.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Nice return by Rainey to get the Lions out of a hole
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Jenning's first pass intercepted
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer