Between-Game Practice-Time Regulations

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:39 pm

Most of you probably already know this, but I don't and was wondering whether the number of days a team can practice between games is mandated by the league collective agreement. I'm curious about whether the Lions can have more practices in a week like the present one, with 9 days between games. Or are teams limited to a certain number of days that they can schedule practices?

As an aside, I hope the Lions can take advantage of the longer week right now--if for no other reason than to work on getting the running game going....

Hambone
Hall of Famer

Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:06 pm

Lots of rules in the CBA. Most are related to the setting of times, number of hours allowed for practices and meetings. They are allowed only 1 contact practice. Even with the longer week they will lose 2 days of the 9 between game days for travel. Saturday would've been an off day especially given they were out east away from families for 9 days for the first 2 games out east. So they are already down to 5 days assuming they fly to Hamilton on Friday. Braley typically hosts the team for a BBQ when they go to Hamilton. If he still does that they may go on Thursday. A "long" week shortens up quickly.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.

B.C.FAN
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:39 pm

Players are off until Tuesday. They usually have three practice days and a walkthru, so they should get those in this week. Last week I believe they had only two full practice days because of the short week.
"I think [Fred Fateri] was like a lot of people who watch football, hockey or any professional sport on television. They sit there and think they could coach better than the professional. Some people really think that." - Bob Ackles, The Water Boy

CardiacKid
Legend

Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:21 pm

Here's a link to the current CBA...
https://cflpa.com/download/collective-b ... 2014-2018/

I believe it remains in effect until the day before training camp starts in 2019.

• Information