Lions at Alouettes July 6, 2017

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

pennw
Legend

On the kicker , David, I'm for handing the keys to the kid for the kicking job. When is the last time we had our kick offs consistently dropping at the 5 ? As noted elsewhere , did not Macallum drop it at the 35? And he can punt almost as far as Leone to boot.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

pennw wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:53 am
On the kicker , David, I'm for handing the keys to the kid for the kicking job. When is the last time we had our kick offs consistently dropping at the 5 ? As noted elsewhere , did not Macallum drop it at the 35? And he can punt almost as far as Leone to boot.
There was a lot of discussion about a potential kicking controversy on the TSN 1040 postgame show. Farhan Lalji thinks Long will eventually be given the job. He and LU seemed to agree that Long has become a favourite of Wally's. But they both said Wally would not cut Waters after luring him to B.C. when Hamilton wanted him.

I wish the Lions would have traded Waters to Hamilton in preseason when Eric Tillman came to B.C. looking for a kicker. Having watched Long and Waters kick in training camp before Waters got hurt, I'd rather go with the younger, stronger leg.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

If the Lions trade or want to eventually release Waters wouldn't it leave them without a backup kicker?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:20 am
If the Lions trade or want to eventually release Waters wouldn't it leave them without a backup kicker?
Yes, and that was one of the points of discussion on the postgame show. They need to have another kicker available before they make a decision on Waters. Unfortunately, the Riders have extended B.C. native Quinn Van Gylswyk on the one-game injured list, where he will likely remain unless they decide to switch him for Tyler Crapigna.

The Riders are also carrying former Lion cuts Dillon Guy and Jeremy Zver on the one-game injured list. Their injured list, by the way, is not that long by past standards. They have five players on the 1 game list and four on the 6-game list, plus one on the disabled list, for a total (official) payroll of 66.
BC 1988
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:15 am
DanoT wrote:
Yes, and that was one of the points of discussion on the postgame show. They need to have another kicker available before they make a decision on Waters. Unfortunately, the Riders have extended B.C. native Quinn Van Gylswyk on the one-game injured list, where he will likely remain unless they decide to switch him for Tyler Crapigna.

The Riders are also carrying former Lion cuts Dillon Guy and Jeremy Zver on the one-game injured list. Their injured list, by the way, is not that long by past standards. They have five players on the 1 game list and four on the 6-game list, plus one on the disabled list, for a total (official) payroll of 66.
LU was on 1040 with Lalji/Price (interview was around 10:30 this morning) and he went over the kicking situation again. He said he would try to get more details from Wally in the next few days. You can tell Wally is reticent to be 100% clear if it's dissatisfaction with Waters' kicking or frustration with the nagging injury (or a combination of the two).
In any case LU said there will be a decision on Waters by the 9th game (when guaranteed contracts kick in).
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:47 am
David wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:50 am
Huge Talent wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:19 pm
Did anyone else notice the new commissioner's repeated jokes about penalties on linemen? To me, this signals a change towards more leniency and fewer calls.
A segment that was stretched far too long IMO. I mean come one. It was like the next question was going to delve into how his kids are doing. Sounds like a great hire though. Nice guy, great business acumen, passion for the league and his new assignment.

As for the game, great win against a very strong defense. Khari's pedestrian play-calling and Wally's conservative ways drove me nuts in the first half! Team just seems to have segments when you think there's no way they're going to win against top-level competition.....then they do some things to impress and you're like, okay, is this the real BC Lions??

I'm wondering if there will still be a kicking controversy soon, or if they just hand the keys to the kid. Permanently.

DH :cool:
Exactly my thoughts David . There was a football game on with all that talking going on for so long we muted it , as it was getting extremely annoying .if the new commissioner is trying to improve the league , he should watch that and realize how bad that was exactly what not to do during a game . Many people , especially casual fans , probably don't want to hear the life story of some one they don''t even know , when they are trying to watch a game and all they are hearing is blah, blah, blah for 15 minutes straight . Some other commentators like Glen Suitor are very guilty of this too where they go on and for far to long with a guest they are interested in personally , but not nessasarily the masses . My wife couldn't handle it and while I knew who it was , it was the wrong place for it .
I concur. I too muted it.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
They could always give Paul McCallum a call.
CardiacKid
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:15 am
DanoT wrote:

Ronnie Pfeffer is currently sitting on the Argos practice roster and has shown he can do all 3 kicking chores when called upon. Also happens to be a National.

I was super-pleased when Waters signed with the team. I thought it was an excellent signing by Wally but Long has truly come out of nowhere. I think it will come to a point where Waters is released and Long is the guy. Younger, cheaper and I am assuming doesn't have the same injury history.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

why didnt
lions go for a 3rd and one near the end of the 1st half. puzzling
Wear orange or wear nothing