Eskimos vs. Lions June 24, 2017

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Via Rick Dhaliwal on twitter:
The #BCLions expecting a crowd of around 19-20,000 for the homer opener vs Eskimos tomorrow night.

Owner David Braley disappointed with crowd for game 1, "If we had the blackouts in place, we would have 2-3,000 more." #BCLions
First off, I will be pleasantly surprised if they are flirting with 20,000 tonight given the season ticket total Jim Mullin was hinting. Probably more like 17,000-18,000 but that is still a good chunk of casual sales and something the Lions will be facing each home game with a low base to start from.

No Mr. Braley, if you blackout home games then the millennials will ignore you even more than they already are. Give them a reason to come to games instead of living in the past.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:32 pm
Interesting developments with our Leos - the move inside of Facault and into a starting position with no experience at guard, the recent move of Purifoy to safety and Fenner as our staring nickel back and expensive free agent Waters hurt at this point of the season.

Wally has gotten smarter this year and is not exposing players he values to the practice roster and is instead hiding them on the one game injury list.

I like our defense overall this season. We're young, fast and aggressive in the defensive backfield. I really like Clarke so disappointed we could not find a roster spot for him but am pleased that Gaitor got a starting spot.

I was hoping to see Smiley at defensive end. He could dress for this game.

Two dynamic offences. Defense will be the key. I hope our style of defense has changed. Benny's defense will depend on his front four. If we can block them, I like our chances.
Oh man, a day I have been looking forward to for so long is finally here! Terrific season opener match-up on a spectacular summer evening. Doesn't get any better.

Agree Blitz, some really interesting developments.

Biggest losers coming out of training camp and pre-season — Buddy Jackson, Charles Vaillancourt, and Steven Clarke. All three starters at the beginning of camp and two of them don't even make the 46-man roster for the season opener. Bad luck award goes to Jackson as Gaitor returned early from his NFL attempt and was very good last year.
Wally on a clear mission to have his first impact player at safety since Barron Miles. I guess too many years of watching Tad Crawford, Cauchy Muamba, JR Larose, Chris Rwabukamba, Eric Fraser and Mike Edem provide little impact. So tweak your ratio, take your 2nd best defensive player and move him there.

Will be very interesting to watch tonight, especially Fenner at nickel. It is refreshing to see a player rewarded for a good pre-season rather than a locked in starting line-up. His play will likely determine if Purifoy's stint at safety is permanent.

Lions and many other touted Vaillancourt as the best pro ready prospect in the 2016 draft. Earns the starting job out of camp last season, loses it to a healthy Fabian and now loses it again to Facault. Saw him get badly beaten in the 3rd quarter last week for a sack. He is young and only his 2nd season but might already be at the crossroads of his time here as a pending FA next season with eastern roots.

May just not mesh well with Dorazio and his coaching style. Wouldn't be the first highly touted that travelled this path yet found success elsewhere. The other is the now the Eskimos all-star centre.
Blitz
Team Captain

Some very astute points Sammy.

Clarke penciled in as our starting safety at the start of training camp and competing with Macdonald and suddenly its Purifoy at safety. But Purifoy has played some safety in certain coverages in the past and he is a very good athlete.

Thompson starts training camp as a backup safety and after the first exhibition game he is moved to field corner and Parker, penciled in as the starter, is now the backup and Bucknor is moved to backup free safety.

Chandler Fenner starts off as the backup nickel back, is given a quick shot at free safety, and is now our starting nickel back. Fenner was cut last season, brought back to the team following injuries to Lee and Clarke, became our starting boundary halfback at the end of last season but was not projected as a starter for 2017. Fenner had an excellent training camp.

Our Leos sign Buddy Jackson as a free agent to become our new wideside halfback, Anthony Gaitor returns to the squad and quickly beats out Jackson for the position.

Ontco starts out camp as our starting outside linebacker, while battling out the position with Burnett and Davis. Awe is penciled in as our back up middle linebacker. Ontco is cut and Awe is moved to outside linebacker to rotate with Burnett.

On offence, Wally moves Iannuzzi inside, to be backed up by Vandervoot at outside slot. Adekolu begins training camp as our fifth receiver, occupying the wide side outside receiver spot. Shaq Johnson beats him out for the position, Blaszco is cut, and Adekolu is now on the injury list.

Maurice Morgan looks to be winning the battle to play in Chris Williams outside receiver spot after being down on the depth chart to begin training camp but Moore is shifted outside and Morgan is now on the practice roster.

Vaillencourt begins training camp as our starting left guard while Facault attempts to beat Steward out at left tackle. After the first exhibition game, Facault is switched to left guard and becomes the starter with no pro left guard experience.

Price is penciled in as our third string quarterback (dispite my chagrin) and it looks as if he will be difficult to lose his spot, with his CFL experience and also knowing our offence. But he fumbles twice and is interceptied once in our first exhibition game while Ross, who has struggled some in training camp performs. Price is gone.

Long is outkicking Waters at training camp, Waters is injured, and Long becomes our starting kicker for our home opener.

Dakota Brush begins training camp behind Lumbala and O'Halloran and may now even be activated for the first game of the season.

Its been a training camp of some surprises. I don't think many would have predicted Purifoy as our starting safety, Fenner as our starting nickelback, Johnson as our fifth receiver, Long as our kicker to begin the season, Facault as our starting left guard, or Shaq Johnson being our fifth receiver when we looked at who would be our starters for 2017.

Looking forward to our home opener against the Eskimos.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
QB Club 63
All Star

In my past, I have been accused of being pedantic and I will freely admit that I am. And I realize that in the grand scheme of things it is human nature to be lazy about how we use our language, but I'm afraid I have reached my limit on this one and I must speak out about it.

The player the Lions received in the Olafioye trade is David Foucault. Not Faucoult. I know I cannot expect Blitz to spell this name properly. Blitz doesn't do that sort of thing. Misspelling player names is part of Blitz's identity and we all love him for it. But I'm hoping that someone who uses social media can get in touch with Scott, Giulio, Lowell, Moj, and company, and tell them to please, Please, PLEASE stop saying "Foh-koo" when the correct pronunciation is obviously "Foo-koh".

I know it's difficult because the man's name is French, and French is still a foreign language to us old farts, so let's break it down, people. Say it with me: Fou is pronounced "Foo"; cault is pronounced "Koh".

Foo

Koh

Now put them together: Foo. Koh. Foo. Koh. Foo-koh. Foucault!
See? That wasn't hard at all. Now go buy yourself a cold one to celebrate, and cheer like crazy at tonight's game!!
pennw
Legend

Since you're being pedantic , I might as well ask why you did not address the "smiley" matter?
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Lol. Thanks for the entertaining good-natured tone of that communique QB Club 63. Too funny. My heritage happens to be Dutch, so while I know that it's Vandervoort (not Vandervoot -- although that variant spelling is a hoot, and I smile widely every time I see it here) -- I admit I'm pretty much at the mercy of others who know far better than I about French-language pronunciations. But, yeah, it makes no sense that the media guys apparently have it backwards. Tsk, tsk. The way I've helped myself toward remembering the supposed correct way is I've programmed my brain to think of Foo Fighters -- that way once I get past the "Foo", the "coh" pretty much automatically follows. btw-- Vandervoort literally means "from the ford" (ford, as in river crossing.) Whereas "voot" according to the vaunted Urban Dictionary is an exclamation of joy -- so, Blitz, I think you might have something there! Every time our young Danny-boy hauls in a spine-tingler I'll shout out "Voot!". And any time our young David flattens an opponent I'll yell "Foo!" And when he misses a block I'll yell something a bit similar but, well, altogether different! lol.
CardiacKid
Legend

QB Club 63 wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:11 am
In my past, I have been accused of being pedantic and I will freely admit that I am. And I realize that in the grand scheme of things it is human nature to be lazy about how we use our language, but I'm afraid I have reached my limit on this one and I must speak out about it.

The player the Lions received in the Olafioye trade is David Foucault. Not Faucoult. I know I cannot expect Blitz to spell this name properly. Blitz doesn't do that sort of thing. Misspelling player names is part of Blitz's identity and we all love him for it. But I'm hoping that someone who uses social media can get in touch with Scott, Giulio, Lowell, Moj, and company, and tell them to please, Please, PLEASE stop saying "Foh-koo" when the correct pronunciation is obviously "Foo-koh".

I know it's difficult because the man's name is French, and French is still a foreign language to us old farts, so let's break it down, people. Say it with me: Fou is pronounced "Foo"; cault is pronounced "Koh".

Foo

Koh

See? That wasn't hard at all. Now go buy yourself a cold one to celebrate, and ch like crazy at tonight's game!!
Now that has been made clear, I hope David F. doesn't play in such a way we begin pronouncing his name
"Foo-Bar".
But I think he will be just fine....

As for Braley's disappointment, it's in his power to fix it. Just don't start pressuring the Commissioner when he arrives to start going retrograde and punishing fans. Think value-added, not spare the rod and spoil the fans.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:35 am
Since you're being pedantic , I might as well ask why you did not address the "smiley" matter?
:wink: :wink: :wink:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Braley should be jumping for joy if attendance reach 20,000 given their marketing (or lack of) in recent years.
BC 1988
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:32 pm
Now that has been made clear, I hope David F. doesn't play in such a way we begin pronouncing his name
"Foo-Bar".
But I think he will be just fine....

As for Braley's disappointment, it's in his power to fix it. Just don't start pressuring the Commissioner when he arrives to start going retrograde and punishing fans. Think value-added, not spare the rod and spoil the fans.
"Foo-Bar" :rotf:
Braley's statement is just a sad final act in his ownership of the Lions. He's living in the past if he thinks HD blackouts have any chance of being applied (and would have anything but a negative effect on the future fanbase).
CardiacKid
Legend

Coming over on the 2:00 ferry and it is looking pretty devoid of folks heading to the game. The 3:00 should be the busier one but still, we usually see more coming from the Island.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Sometimes it is better to just say Foo kit. My last name is 4 letters long. Super easy to say and spell and yet people mispronouce and mispell it all the time. Same with my street name. Valour being called velour as in the cheesy wall hangings of 70's.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Blitz
Team Captain

QB Club 63 wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:11 am

Foo

Koh

See? That wasn't hard at all. Now go buy yourself a cold one to celebrate, and cheer like crazy at tonight's game!!
I am terrible about spelling names QB Club 63 and there is no excuse for it. Thanks for not being too tough on me....even though I need a kick in the jewels.

But I guarantee you that I will at least be pronouncing Foucault's name properly. I'm practicing.....Foooooooey, Fooooooooey, Foooooooehy......Kohhhhhhhh, Kooooooooh, Kooooooooh.

Foo Koh!

I'm buying myself a Lucky Lager!! :yahoo:

You enjoy the game too QB Club 63 and thank you for setting it straight.

Merci de remettre les choses pendules. :thup:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

Getting really pumped!!!!
Preview
Lions, Esks open season with Western showdown

CFL.ca Staff

VANCOUVER — One win.
That’s how close both the BC Lions and Edmonton Eskimos were from advancing to last year’s Grey Cup.

The Lions lost to the Calgary Stampeders in the Western Final while the Eskimos fell to the eventual Grey Cup Champion Ottawa REDBLACKS in the other division final when they crossed over to the East.

“It feels like yesterday we were leaving Calgary in the Western Final and that taste is still bitter in my mouth,” receiver Bryan Burnham told BCLions.com.

The disappointment of being so close to competing on the CFL’s biggest stage has no doubt lingered in the minds of Lions and Eskimos players alike, but both teams will have the opportunity to pick up where they left off at BC Place on Saturday night.

BC’s offensive core from the 2016 season has remained intact.
Quarterback Jonathon Jennings had a breakout 2016 campaign, ranking third in touchdown passes (27) and passing yards (5,226). He is flanked by last year’s touchdown leader Emmanuel Arceneaux as well as the equally dangerous Burnham, who together formed the second-most illustrious duo of the 2016 campaign.

The Lions will have to wait for their biggest off-season addition, dynamic receiver and one of the CFL’s fastest players in Chris Williams, but the return of Nick Moore gives the Lions plenty of weapons on offence in the meantime. And if BC’s prolific passing attack isn’t enough, the Lions’ league-leading rushing attack from last season returns mostly intact, led by the dangerous duo of Chris Rainey and Jeremiah Johnson.

While most of BC’s offence remains in one piece, the defence tells a different tale.
Last year’s dominant linebacker duo of Adam Bighill and Solomon Elimimian, commonly referred to as ‘Team 100’, has been split up. Bighill is now with the New Orleans Saints, leaving some big shoes to fill at weak-side linebacker.

The Lions addressed that need during free agency by signing former Winnipeg Blue Bomber Tony Burnett, who will get the start in Week 1 in rotation with promising young off-season addition Micah Awe.

On the defensive line, the Lions are without Alex Bazzie and Jabar Westerman, both free agent departures, but the biggest changes come in the secondary. With hopes of generating more big plays on that side of the ball, Head Coach Wally Buono has moved Loucheiz Purifoy to safety while Chandler Fenner takes purifoy’s spot at SAM linebacker.

Despite all the changes, the Lions believe they’ve improved since finishing second in the CFL with a 12-6 record a year ago.

Jennings says that facing off against a divisional opponent will be a good opening test for his team.

“Winning in the West is such a big deal,” said Jennings. “It’s big for us to go out there and try and be 1-0, not just overall but in the west.
“Edmonton is a really tough team,” he added. “We had some close bouts with them last year, we’re going to try and go out there and play a fast physical game.”

Williams enters the season on the Lions’ 6-game injured list but could be activated sooner. Right tackle Kevin Palmer, kicker Swayze Waters, defensive backs Buddy Jackson and Steven Clarke and receiver Stephen Adekolu are among those on the 1-game injured list for Saturday’s contest.

Waters, the big leg and former Toronto Argonaut who signed as a free agent this off-season, will be replaced by 24-year-old Ty Long.
In Edmonton, you can expect the Eskimos will once again be a threat in the West with the help of star pivot Mike Reilly. The Central Washington product and 2015 Grey Cup MVP leads an equally impressive offence with weapons that include returnees Adarius Bowman, sophomore Brandon Zylstra and former Argo Vidal Hazelton.

D’haquille ‘Duke’ Williams will also be making his Eskimos regular season debut on Saturday. The former Auburn University football star looked impressive during his first pre-season campaign, racking up 129 yards on three catches. Williams has the potential to fill the large void that was left by Derel Walker, who is currently with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Eskimos Head Coach Jason Maas says his team is extremely focused and prepared heading into Week 1.

“Guys are locked in,” Edmonton head coach Jason Maas told Esks.com. “Do we feel like they’re going to do some things we haven’t prepared for? Absolutely. But we’re going to be able to adjust…. We’re excited.”

While replacing Walker on offence will be key, the Eskimos look to pick up where their offence left off after leading the CFL with 418.7 net yards per game in 2016.

The bigger question will be on the defensive side of things, where injuries have taken their toll before Week 1 has even kicked off.

WILL linebacker Corey Greenwood suffered a season-ending injury in camp, while late addition Forrest Hightower remains out of action in the Esks’ defensive backfield along with Marcell Young. All three have been added to the Esks’ 6-game injured list along with defensive end Marcus Howard, receiver Shamawd Chambers and offensive lineman Colin Kelly.
Travon Van and Mitchell Bryant have landed on the 1-game injured list and also will not suit up on Saturday.

With the injuries, 2015 second round draft pick Arjen Colquhoun, who just signed with the Eskimos after a year in the NFL, will make his first career CFL start at field corner.

By the Numbers:
10 – Consecutive games with a touchdown pass for Mike Reilly, a span over which he’s fired 17 in total.

18– Straight successful field goal attempts by Eskimos kicker Sean Whyte in regular season action.

23 – Rushing touchdowns scored by the Lions in 2016, the highest total in the CFL.

173 – The number of yards Adarius Bowman needs to tie Eddie Brown for 30th on the CFL All-Time receiving yards list (8,663).

The Skinny:

Both the Lions and Eskimos are led by premiere pivots with multiple offensive weapons at their disposal. Reilly led the league in passing yards last year (5,554 yards) and finished second in passing touchdowns (28) behind Calgary’s Bo Levi Mitchell.

Twenty-four-year-old Jennings emerged as the one of the league’s premiere pivots in 2016, showcasing his mobility and strong arm week after week.

The game will also feature three of the top four receivers from last year. Bowman led the league in receiving yards (1,761), followed by the now-departed Walker. Arceneaux (1,566) and Burnham (1,392) ranked third and fourth respectively.

In a game loaded with offensive talent, the winner in Week 1 could be determined by which defence is able to put the most pressure on the quarterback and play the shut down role more effectively.

BC was tied last year at the top of the league in sacks (52) while veteran defensive linemen Almondo Sewell and Odell Willis will be looked upon to lead that way in the trenches for the Eskimos.

» Play CFL Pick ‘Em
What the writers are saying:

Esks
Lions

Edmonton at BC
Saturday | 10 p.m. ET

What to Watch For: A potential air show between the two highest-salaried quarterbacks in Fantasy, Eskimos gunslinger Mike Reilly and Lions pilot Jonathon Jennings. Both come with a full complement of firepower at the skill positions and, if this quickly develops into a game of “Can You Top This?,” East Coast viewers will be bleary-eyed by game’s end.

Both pivots have something to prove after remarkable 2016 campaigns. Reilly’s looking to show there’s reason for opposing defences to ‘Fear the Beard’ following a year in which he set career bests across the board, including a league-best 5,554 yards and 28 touchdown passes. In the case of Jennings, the third-year signal caller seeks to cement his place among the league’s elite passers.

No one in the league has his dual-threat ability, a facet the Eskimos’ defence must account for.

While the quarterbacks take centre stage, both teams have top-end ground games that can dictate the pace of the contest. Edmonton’s John White was fourth in the league in rushing, while BC’s Jeremiah Johnson was fifth. The duo are also the two highest-salaried backs in CFL Fantasy, with White’s ability to be an effective receiver giving him the edge over Johnson, who lets his 210-pound frame help churn the clock for the Lions.

The potential show-stealer here is Eskimos receiver Brandon Zylstra, Zylstra is the second option in Edmonton and should be able to pick up where he left off from his impressive six-game debut last season, when he caught 34 passes for 508 yards and three touchdowns. He’s set for a breakout campaign and will use this game as a possible springboard.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Shaquille Murray-Lawrence and Dylan Ainsworth are the two game-day scratches from the 46-man roster.

As Wally mentioned recently, the Lions have dressed 8 defensive linemen for this game. Josh Shirley is a backup, along with the three national linemen, David Menard, Junior Luke and Maxx Forde.

Ty Long has switched jerseys and is now wearing No. 1 instead of 43. I think he's sending signals that he wants to stay around, even after Swayze Waters is healthy.