CFL Games of Week 1

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Bosco wrote:The first two games of the season have certainly lived up to their billing and provided "don't turn off the TV" type of drama. From Darian's Durant redemption / stick to Chris Jones victory on Thursday, to last night's double OT thriller in Ottawa, the 2017 season is certainly off to a great start. Now if we can only do something about those command centre reviews...
Bosco, I am convinced a simian of some description sits in the control room and spins a "Price Is Right" type wheel in which the peg either lands on "play stands" or "overturned."

The long delays are when the monkey or ape really gives it a whirl!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I think the command centre, instead of searching for the best shot or angle they operate under the premise that if they don't see an obvious ref error right away, then they go to the standby "Not enough video evidence to overturn".

I am ok with this approach most of the time and only provided that it speeds up the process, but when the command centre takes forever and still gets it wrong.... :bang: :bang: :bang:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:47 am
I think the command centre, instead of searching for the best shot or angle they operate under the premise that if they don't see an obvious ref error right away, then they go to the standby "Not enough video evidence to overturn".

I am ok with this approach most of the time and only provided that it speeds up the process, but when the command centre takes forever and still gets it wrong.... :bang: :bang: :bang:
I believe that's the principle that they're required to take. It also applies to video review in the NFL, NCAA and NHL. Calls on the field are only overturned if there is clear video evidence that they were incorrect. It's almost impossible to tell whether a ball crossed the plane of the goal line an instant before coming loose, especially when the best video angle is from a camera that's not directly on the goal line.

The terminology used by the CFL is that there must be "indisputable visual evidence" to overturn a call.
Once a play has been challenged by one of the teams or the league, there are two possible outcomes:

1. The ruling on the field stands. This occurs when there is sufficient evidence to support the original ruling on the field or there is no indisputable evidence to overturn the ruling made on the field.
2. The ruling on the field is overturned. This occurs when the Replay Official has indisputable visual evidence that the ruling should be changed.
I gave up long ago trying to predict whether a call on the field would be overturned from video review. That applies to all sports and leagues that use replays. Most are judgment calls that could go either way. I'd prefer to see reviews uphold calls on the field in that case. The TSN panelists do themselves, and the league a great disservice by proclaiming their opinions as facts and then judging command centre decisions as being right or wrong.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

You might have a point but if video review is going to lead to more controversy, not less, then they should do away with it. In it's defense, it did make the right call with that Calgary catch down the sidelines. Couldn't really blame the official on that one as the receiver was between him and the ball so there was no way he could conclusively tell when the reception was made. However, it wasn't really a case of close the last two games. That Sask TD seemed pretty clear that the ball was out before crossing the plane and if I had to make a judgement based on the video evidence last night, I would have been more convinced of the rightness of calling a fumble than calling the man down. The whole point of video review is to reduce the capriciousness of human judgement. The first sentence of your second paragraph says all that needs be said. If the knowledgeable fan has given up trying to figure out what the command centre is doing, then the command centre process is seriously failing in it's role to reduce the uncertainty. It seems a contradictory notion that an official in the command centre with the benefit of close ups, slow motion, and different angles of view is a poorer judge of a play than an official who sees it once, from one perspective over a split second. The deferrment should be in the direction of the command centre, not the other way around.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Oftentimes I wonder what replay is the Command Centre seeing ?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Oftentimes I wonder what replay is the Command Centre seeing.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ricky Ray threw for over 500 yards in leading the Argos to a 32-15 victory over the Ti-Cats. Argos defence was relentless and didn't allow Collaros time to find his receivers. Lions are going to have their hands full next Friday.
BC 1988
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:37 pm
Ricky Ray threw for over 500 yards in leading the Argos to a 32-15 victory over the Ti-Cats. Argos defence was relentless and didn't allow Collaros time to find his receivers. Lions are going to have their hands full next Friday.
Yes I was thinking the same thing--the Lions o-line protection better get their act together. Even JJ10 wont be able to outrun that.

On the week, this was the only game that wasn't even close by the 3rd quarter. Announced attendance was 13,583, but looked a lot less in the stands. Considering the contingent of HAM fans, that is worrisome.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'm happy for Ray and the Argo faithful. I expected the Argos to be strong this year under Trestman and the Ticats to slide to the bottom of the division. So far, so good.

Wally and Mark Washington will have to make adjustments to prevent the big play from the Argo offence and force Ray to check down to his running back.