Lions vs. Calgary

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

* One of the first things I said upon posting about the OTAs I attended was "watch out for Micah Awe, this guy is special and I guarantee he at least ends up on the 2017 roster." That said, I am a little disappointed that Ontko, Davis, and Burnett haven't stepped up more (I think Burnett will be put in a lot of situational passing situations), and Ontko will continue to impress on special teams.

* Not sure what's going on with Frank Alexander's foot. He was one of the big off-season signings, but I get the sense he's definitely going to have to play next Friday and really impress to make this roster.

* Looks like the battle for safety is Clarke's to lose. It sounded to me like Tevin McDonald struggled a bit back there against Calgary.

* Shirley vs Evans is shaping up to be a great battle at DE. Both had big games against the Stamps. Saw one of Shirley's sacks on the highlight film. He put on a swim move and blew past his man, and put a big hit on the Stamps' QB.

* I don't see how we're going to be able to keep all our national receivers. We're not a good "stashing" team - we don't do the 6-game thing very well. I DO know that we have to find a place for Johnson and Vanderhoot.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
pdxlion
Rookie

Hey Blitz, I think you are wrong on Lulay. He's still pretty darn good and I'll take Kahri's assessment over yours.

“So far, so good. Guys are in a much better position than they were last year, especially at the quarterback position. Jonathon [Jennings] is more comfortable, Travis [Lulay] is as comfortable as you can get,

Another key figure in the Leos’ quarterback room is Travis Lulay. The grizzled vet has appeared in 117 games for the club, throwing for 17,165 yards and 104 touchdowns. Lulay led the Lions to a Grey Cup championship in 2011 and took home the CFL Most Outstanding Player award that same season. The 33-year-old is the top backup quarterback in the league and the purrfect person to help mould Jennings.

“Travis has been fantastic,” said Jones after practice on Monday. “For one thing, he’s healthy. He’s throwing the ball as well as I’ve seen him since I’ve been here. This is my fourth year here and he has gotten better throwing the ball every year and his decision-making has been solid. You can tell, he knows the game. To have two quarterbacks with the kind of experience we have and guys that have done the things that they’ve done is a luxury.”

Full article:

https://www.bclions.com/2017/06/05/brea ... rterbacks/
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:27 pm
I was at the game so here are some random comments:

The best QB on the field was Andrew Buckly (Bo did not play)

Jennings had a few passes dropped and over threw some.

Price was meh and took too long holding the ball while waiting for WRs to get open. Most of his throws seemed to be to an underneath release guy.

Price did have a nice drive to end the half, aided by 3 catches in a row from Shaq Johnson who a few plays lter made a 4th "Catch of the Day". It was a crossing pattern and Price threw the ball behind Shaq who reached out and tipped the ball with one hand then caught the ball with the same one hand. The play even caused a buzz among the Stamps fans.

Lulay had one really good down the field throw with mustard.

Ross' interception throw, looked like the receiver was behind coverage, but a short throw.

Ross throws a nice pass and looked like he ios ready to replace Price as the 3rd string QB.

Something you did not know or may not want to know about Foucault: He has long shoulder length blond hair, is the slimmest of the Oline Hoggies with the least belly fat.
He also has long legs and pretty good foot work as he did a nice job a few times staying with the DE who was trying to go wide around him. He also had a DE try to cut inside and Foucault looked to be beat but he shoved the guy in the shoulder (from the front) giving his QB some extra seconds. He played all of the 2nd half. I caught him grabbing jersey on one play but the ref missed it.

Zver played centre for all of the 4th quarter (might have played the 3rd as well) and was snapping the ball low a few times but it didn't seem to bother Ross. Zver made a nice block on the long TC run.

Junior Luke is a stocky fire plug who took on and held his ground when double teamed but on a few occasions while taking on the double team the RB went by him and I am looking for the MLB to make a tackle but Solly was no where in sight.

Anthony Thompson was noticeable making plays whenever he was on the field. A future starter, imo, and someone who should be able to share starting duties with Parker right now.

Vandervoort made a nice catch from Jennings where he jumped in the air, turned, and leaped high for the ball in front of a defender. A few plays later on a crossing route he dropped a pass from Jennings. He may take some time to get used to the velocity that Jennings puts on the ball.

The Oline did not give the QBs very much time in the pocket and poor run blocking as well.

The Special Teams were not special, especially on kick and punt return coverage. They looked like they were coached by Chuck McMann, no make that Ed McMann. It would have been worse but for some Stamps penalties. Calling the coverage team horrible is a complement.

Ty Long punted pretty well into the wind.

The final score flattered the Lions who were helped late in the game by a poor performance from Stamps 4th string QB who struggled to get things going.

Overall the Stamps backups are better than the Lions backups, or better coached.
Nice in-game report, Dano. Thank you.

Some random comments ...

It seems we have loads of talent. Kudos to Wally and his staff, Neil McAvoy, Geroy, etc.

Depth and talent with the Nationals ... Receiver. OL. RB. LB. DB. Even DL.

As noted numerous times, it seems to me that over Wally's years here, we had our most effective defence when we had dominant DLines. Power. Speed. Talent. Big Tyrone Williams. Aaron Hunt. Brent Johnson. Et cetera. Not sure we have that now, or that we have the potential for dominance there.

Did we see some cause for concern with the O Line? Maybe. Some fans always wonder whether Dan D will put too much stuff into the heads of athletes who need clear thinking and instinctive play.

And also as noted numerous times, talent is one thing. Systems and overall philosophy are other elements of success. Will we be a contain type defence once again? Aggressive attack style? Maybe not. Will we surprise teams with creative game plans, or will opponents see in games exactly what they see on tape? Same old, same old.

We have some hopes for success.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

“Travis has been fantastic,” said Jones after practice on Monday. “For one thing, he’s healthy. He’s throwing the ball as well as I’ve seen him since I’ve been here. This is my fourth year here and he has gotten better throwing the ball every year and his decision-making has been solid. You can tell, he knows the game. To have two quarterbacks with the kind of experience we have and guys that have done the things that they’ve done is a luxury.”
I can vouch for that. I made this comment earlier in the thread after watching the QBs in the first week of camp:
Travis Lulay's arm looked just as strong as that of the other QBs, which is not something that could be said in many previous years.
Even at the peak of his career in 2011 and 2012, Lulay had trouble with accuracy on deep balls. I would much rather have Jennings throwing the ball downfield but Lulay is still a clear No. 2 on the depth chart.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:26 am
* Shirley vs Evans is shaping up to be a great battle at DE. Both had big games against the Stamps. Saw one of Shirley's sacks on the highlight film. He put on a swim move and blew past his man, and put a big hit on the Stamps' QB.
Evans and Shirley. DL.
94 Evans, DeQuin DL I 6'3 253 30 Kentucky
98 Shirley, Josh DL I 6'1 235 25 Washington
Reporter to Evans: "Surely this is a serious competition you guys have going in the D Line."

Evans: "Yes it is serious. And don't call me Shirley."

Did not happen ...

Having a chuckle at the old "Airplane" lines. LOL
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I believe the defensive lineman is Shirley not Smiley
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:04 pm
Reporter to Evans: "Surely this is a serious competition you guys have going in the D Line."

Evans: "Yes it is serious. And don't call me Shirley."

Did not happen ...

Haha, WCJ. I love it.

I'll go out on a limb and predict the starting defensive ends for the regular season opener will be Craig Roh and DeQuin Evans. That's the way the coaches drew up the depth chart in the offseason and I've seen nothing to challenge that assessment.

I'm still holding out slim hope for a national rotation on the D-line, where Junior Luke and Maxx Forde have showed enough to unseat Bryant Turner Jr. on the inside, with David Menard as rotational help.

To me, that's a more feasible way to change the ratio than to insert Anthony Thompson at safety ahead of internationals Clarke and McDonald.
David
Team Captain

I completely agree with that B.C. FAN. Roh and Evans will be our starting DE's on June 24th. I am also going to go out on a limb and predict that Craig Roh is going to have a very big year. Just a hunch, but I see steady improvement in his game.

I say Evans over Shirley simply because they signed him as a FA. Can anyone think of an instance in the Buono era when we've signed a free agent in the off-season and released him before the first game? It may have happened, but I can't think of it. They usually give the benefit of the doubt to someone they've invested in (financially or otherwise) in the off-season.

(and thanks for that laugh WCJ! Leslie Nielsen was a brilliant deadpan comedian. Very under-rated IMO. He was actually a spokesman for BMO years ago. I have some old Canucks (or Lions?) programs from '70 or '71 featuring ads with the 'not as famous' Leslie Nielsen promoting Bank Of Montreal).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

I was watching some TSN big play CFL highlights from 2016 today and it was a reminder of how many incredibly accurate deep passes Jennings threw last season and how many great catches Arseneaux and Burnham made.

In reading the posts above, I agree that Wally will likely go with Evans over Shirley but Shirley has made an impression. I hope we can go with four import receivers

But if we do, and rotate with Forde and Luke on the defensive line, then I hope we can find a way to keep Alexander. If anything we should put him on the 46 man roster or the injury list until we can get a real good look at him. He has a background which proves he has a lot of talent and we don't get his type of signing very often.

Craig Roh played better in the second half of last season, when we started to rotate Menard into his spot for situational reps. But if we go with a National tackle, then I still believe we should give Alexander a shot at that position.

Awe deserves the shot at outside linebacker rather than being penciled in as depth for Sol. E.

I feel quite confident in our Leos talent this season. We've brought a lot of talent into this 297 camp. In fact, in that regard, it may be one of our best training camp rosters ever. I still have a question mark regarding Lee at boundary halfback but hope I'm wrong. But other than that and perhaps who we will play at outside slot, if we go with two National receivers, I really like our talent at every other position.

I really like our depth too. The only sad thing is there are too many players on this roster who will not make the 46 man or be cut, or be on the practice roster that could be playing and doing a very good job. But for a football team, that is a good position to be in, going into a football season.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to LU, Alexander has left camp.
Lowell Ullrich‏ @FifthQtr
#bclions DL candidate Frank Alexander has returned home to rehab injured foot; status updated later in season Ex-NFL pick didn't last 1 wk
I'm not sure if he'll be placed on the 6-game injured list or disabled list.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:52 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:04 pm

Haha, WCJ. I love it.
David wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:13 pm
(and thanks for that laugh WCJ! Leslie Nielsen was a brilliant deadpan comedian. Very under-rated IMO. He was actually a spokesman for BMO years ago. I have some old Canucks (or Lions?) programs from '70 or '71 featuring ads with the 'not as famous' Leslie Nielsen promoting Bank Of Montreal).
You are welcome, Guys. Silly movie. Silly lines, but hilarious. Gonna have to watch it once again soon.

Some laughter every day is good for the human.

One wonders if Edward Godin has a chance at the CFL leveL. I have a hunch he does, but we have a lot of depth ahead of him.

Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:53 pm
According to LU, Alexander has left camp.
Lowell Ullrich‏ @FifthQtr
#bclions DL candidate Frank Alexander has returned home to rehab injured foot; status updated later in season Ex-NFL pick didn't last 1 wk
I'm not sure if he'll be placed on the 6-game injured list or disabled list.
Disappointing that we didn't get to have a good look at Alexander and what he could do. Hope we place him on the 6 game injured list or the disabled list. Sure hope we don't release him.

In the meantime, his injury likely means that we will go with a starting National defensive tackle (Forde, Luke rotating) and that will mean four International receivers. That fourth receiver could be Nick Moore or it could be a number of other possibilities.

Will that mean we shift Iannuzzi back to fifth receiver (wide side wideout) or leave Adekolu in that spot? Likely we will shift Iannuzzi back outside rather than playing wide slot.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:13 am
Disappointing that we didn't get to have a good look at Alexander and what he could do. Hope we place him on the 6 game injured list or the disabled list. Sure hope we don't release him.
Alexander has been placed on the suspended list. I believe that means he remains B.C. property but doesn't get paid.
BC TRF TO SUSPENDED INT Frank ALEXANDER (DL) Oklahoma