2017 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

David wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:48 am
mountaincat wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:55 am
the solomon elimimian radio ad still makes me cringe every time i hear it. can't believe they're still running them. so unbelievably awkward, and just putridly bad and bizarre and wrongheaded. "is he a hipster with a man bun, about to get his achilles blown out? the next game will tell!!" i mean, WTF. really. it sounds like a parody of their own bad marketing and abject failure to properly market the star players.
I believe the ad copy reads:

"....or a ruptured Achilles waiting to re-happen (sic)?"

Just cringeworthy. I just get the urge to reach out to Solly on social media every time I hear it and say, "sorry man, you don't deserve this." :roll:

Jim Mullin (whose opinions on football related matters I greatly respect) likes this campaign, but I know Farhan hates it.

DH :cool:
I have never heard this ad but can’t believe it exists.

What if Solly were to actually rupture his Achilles? Would they still run it?

Let’s run an ad that postulates that someone’s career coming to an end is entertaining..... :dizzy:

How about “is Wally about to add to being the winningest coach in Lion’s history or will he suffer another near-fatal heart attack while patrolling the sidelines?”

Ridiculous.
mountaincat
Rookie

CardiacKid wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:55 pm
I have never heard this ad but can’t believe it exists.

What if Solly were to actually rupture his Achilles? Would they still run it?

Let’s run an ad that postulates that someone’s career coming to an end is entertaining..... :dizzy:

How about “is Wally about to add to being the winningest coach in Lion’s history or will he suffer another near-fatal heart attack while patrolling the sidelines?”

Ridiculous.
i still can't believe it exists either, but sadly it is all too real :sigh:

heard a totally different ad on the radio last night... one of the lions sponsors, a car dealership, can't remember which one, and it was nothing particularly special and yet soooo much better. just a voice reading some copy along the lines of, being in the stands at a lions game is great, dome field advantage, we're there too and proud to support the lions so you should take advantage of our deals and buy a truck from us.
The_Pauser
Legend

Wow. I haven't heard that Solly ad, but if that really exists....SMH. That's a new low.

I actually really have not liked our marketing campaign at all this year. The "next game will tell" ads offer up zero excitement and really don't make me want to tune in. Would much rather they just show some exciting clips from games. This whole campaign just seems flat.

On top of that, a huge failure is not using that Process video more. The video they came out with in the spring. That was a great pump up video. I'm sure you could get a great commercial out of that. Heck, I think that should be our opening video before each game.
Roar you Lions roar!
Qman
Champion

season ticket renewals are out.

Another increase WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
$735 to $750 !!!!!!!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Qman wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:24 pm

$735 to $750 !!!!!!!
Fired off an email to the Lions expressing my frustrations at the last couple of seasons under Buono and his inept coaching staff. Asked them for reasons why I should give them $2,000 for another season of boring football.
Bosco
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:56 pm
Qman wrote:

$735 to $750 !!!!!!!
Fired off an email to the Lions expressing my frustrations at the last couple of seasons under Buono and his inept coaching staff. Asked them for reasons why I should give them $2,000 for another season of boring football.
IMO, the Lions organization has real big ones asking their remaining season ticket holders to commit to 2018 when we're still going through the stench of 2017. Sorry, Lions - I can be bought, but not for Playland tickets or a complimentary transit pass. :dizzy:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Where is the incentive to renew when it is pretty obvious that one could sit in their former ST seats, only just go on a selective game by game basis. It is not like someone else is going to snap up those or other unsold season ticket seats.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

Can't believe they are still just doing the same as they were back when I decided not to renew a couple years ago. I could see it all happening then, and didn't like what I saw but I knew we were heading to where we are now. They were just going through the motions back then with annual price increases. Your email to them will probably be replied to, but with no satisfying solution or even attempt to appease you. That's what I got. I think maybe Dennis Skulsky has been semi retired for years. As much as it's sentimental for the Waterboy group to be involved in ownership, I have fears about him being involved in the future. He let this team's fan base erode.
David
Team Captain

Make no mistake. Pricing increases start and end with Braley. No way this was a Skulsky and Chayka decision that wasn't vetted through the owner, who calls more shots than we'd expect (recall what Skulsky said about their uniforms during his Presidents Week segment on TSN1040).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

My three end-zone seats have gone down in price to $850 from $970. That’s about $28 per seat. I can’t complain about the price but I have been thinking of cutting back from three seats to two next year. It’s too hard to find a third person or to give away three seats.
The_Pauser
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Qman wrote:

$735 to $750 !!!!!!!
If that's what you asked, what do you expect them to say? Are you expecting the ticketing department to get involved in football operations?

Either renew your tickets or don't. I certainly wouldn't classify the Lions as "boring football." Even in our losses I've been entertained at the games.
Roar you Lions roar!
The_Pauser
Legend

Bosco wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:26 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Qman wrote:

$735 to $750 !!!!!!!
IMO, the Lions organization has real big ones asking their remaining season ticket holders to commit to 2018 when we're still going through the stench of 2017. Sorry, Lions - I can be bought, but not for Playland tickets or a complimentary transit pass. :dizzy:
That's fine. It's standard to begin the renewal process in October though so I'm not sure what your complaint about that is. Should a team that's in tough when it comes to its season ticket base begin their campaign later? What good would that do?

And for a bunch of people who have always complained about the lack of extra perks with their season tickets I'm shocked (actually not really) that there's complaints about the freebees being offered this year. Seems to me like some people just like complaining. I think it's great that they're offering people a transit pass/parking discounts, OR playland passes, OR memorabilia/meet and greet. That's better than what they've traditionally done.
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:18 am
Make no mistake. Pricing increases start and end with Braley. No way this was a Skulsky and Chayka decision that wasn't vetted through the owner, who calls more shots than we'd expect (recall what Skulsky said about their uniforms during his Presidents Week segment on TSN1040).

Then Braley can expect a further decline in season ticket renewals.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:18 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Qman wrote:

$735 to $750 !!!!!!!
If that's what you asked, what do you expect them to say? Are you expecting the ticketing department to get involved in football operations?

Either renew your tickets or don't. I certainly wouldn't classify the Lions as "boring football." Even in our losses I've been entertained at the games.
It is certainly entertaining ........for the opposition fans.
cjones2451
Rookie

The biggest thing I don't get is they have the $5 kids offer during the regular season, by all accounts it is well received, but there is NEVER a kids offer on seasons tickets. I have had my tickets for 23 years and take my 4 and 7 year olds to games and get NO discount for their seats . I would even take it on just 1 since am only 1 adult. WHY can there not be a kids ticket price with purchase of an adult in say RED and below?
I am tempted not to renew and just use the kids offer tickets...

On the other hand they did reduce the end zone seats, so when we say they aren't trying to attract new fans they are to a certain extent, but they are forgetting about the LOYAL season ticket holders too much IMHO.