2017 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Received my season ticket invoice in the mail this afternoon. There's an important notice which reads: "Does a child that is the age of 12 or under use one of your seats for all 10 home games ? If so, please contact your personal account executive to ask about Lions season tickets for kids "
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

cjones2451 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:24 pm
So I got an email from my ticket rep saying they were offering me a kids rate (12 and under) on my Red Zone tickets. 1 kids rate with every adult purchased. The Pass and lanyard around their neck will be a different colour etc. to identify them as kids, so there is so planning to this not a off the cuff reaction, so I am thrilled that they came through with this and said that they have the seat next to me open, so now instead of reducing to 2 tickets, I am increasing to 4. Not sure if this is going public or just to those who ask or threaten to cancel, reduce etc. but it is a great move and I hope it is a public offer. $137.50 instead of $550 for kids 12 and under is huge!!

Great Job Lions, #IsitJuneyet
Yes, I got my renewal notice in the mail today. In addition to the general $120 price cut (12.3%) on my end-zone seats, I was asked to contact my rep about season tickets for kids if any of my seats were used by a child aged 12 or under.

I also had a pleasant exchange of emails with my rep last week. I explained that I was unsure whether I would renew all three seats next year and might not make my decision before the early-bird deadline. She helpfully suggested that I could renew two seats now to qualify for the early-renewal perks, and that my third seat would be held until the end of January before being released. I'll probably do that. The ticket and marketing department certainly seems to be doing everything right to retain season ticket holders and broaden the fan base.
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:44 pm
I also had a pleasant exchange of emails with my rep last week. I explained that I was unsure whether I would renew all three seats next year and might not make my decision before the early-bird deadline. She helpfully suggested that I could renew two seats now to qualify for the early-renewal perks, and that my third seat would be held until the end of January before being released. I'll probably do that. The ticket and marketing department certainly seems to be doing everything right to retain season ticket holders and broaden the fan base.
You bring up a great point. The BC Lions - as an organization - is often criticized on this board, sometimes fairly, sometimes not. But it should be stated that as long as I've been a season ticket holder (I think I am going into my 22nd year), the account reps have always been first class. Friendly, responsive, accommodating, efficient....I've never had a bad word to say about any one of them. :thup:

This deserves to be mentioned.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:04 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
You bring up a great point. The BC Lions - as an organization - is often criticized on this board, sometimes fairly, sometimes not. But it should be stated that as long as I've been a season ticket holder (I think I am going into my 22nd year), the account reps have always been first class. Friendly, responsive, accommodating, efficient....I've never had a bad word to say about any one of them. :thup:

This deserves to be mentioned.

I echo your sentiments David. Communications and dealings with the various reps I've worked with has always been top notch. With Grey Cup behind me I finally got off my duff and renewed earlier this week. My rep Melissa had already been "nagging" me via email in a most pleasant way reminding me about renewing, the early-bird deadlines etc and asking if there was anything she could do to help make things happen.

Similarly my buddy who sits with me continues to get follow up calls from Christie or another rep dealing with suites. His company booked a suite probably 5 years ago to treat their staff and customers. While they haven't done so since the club still calls him once or twice every season since then to see if they might be interested in doing it again.

The people in the ticket and marketing department are definitely on top of things and working their tails off. It's a crucial and underappreciated aspect of this little thing called marketing and IMO an area where the club does a great job.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:19 am
My rep Melissa had already been "nagging" me via email in a most pleasant way reminding me about renewing, the early-bird deadlines etc and asking if there was anything she could do to help make things happen.

Similarly my buddy who sits with me continues to get follow up calls from Christie or another rep dealing with suites. His company booked a suite probably 5 years ago to treat their staff and customers. While they haven't done so since the club still calls him once or twice every season since then to see if they might be interested in doing it again.

The people in the ticket and marketing department are definitely on top of things and working their tails off. It's a crucial and underappreciated aspect of this little thing called marketing and IMO an area where the club does a great job.
We have the same rep. First rate. :thup:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Same rep. Getting the same emails.
BC 1988
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
cjones2451 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:24 pm
So I got an email from my ticket rep saying they were offering me a kids rate (12 and under) on my Red Zone tickets. 1 kids rate with every adult purchased. The Pass and lanyard around their neck will be a different colour etc. to identify them as kids, so there is so planning to this not a off the cuff reaction, so I am thrilled that they came through with this and said that they have the seat next to me open, so now instead of reducing to 2 tickets, I am increasing to 4. Not sure if this is going public or just to those who ask or threaten to cancel, reduce etc. but it is a great move and I hope it is a public offer. $137.50 instead of $550 for kids 12 and under is huge!!

Great Job Lions, #IsitJuneyet
Yes, I got my renewal notice in the mail today. In addition to the general $120 price cut (12.3%) on my end-zone seats, I was asked to contact my rep about season tickets for kids if any of my seats were used by a child aged 12 or under.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/audio/lelacheu ... d-1.971113
Lelacheur provided more details about the $85 Kids Season ticket yesterday when he announced the new 5 year radio deal.
David
Team Captain

While the Lions may be strong in other social media metrics, they are now second last in the CFL in Twitter followers with 124K, behind the lowly Argos at 127K. The Redblacks have only been in the league for 3 seasons, so not surprisingly, they're dead last with 118K. The Roughriders lead the league in Twitter followers with 219K.

FWIW, the Whitecaps wipe the floor with us (327K followers).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:05 pm
While the Lions may be strong in other social media metrics, they are now second last in the CFL in Twitter followers with 124K, behind the lowly Argos at 127K. The Redblacks have only been in the league for 3 seasons, so not surprisingly, they're dead last with 118K. The Roughriders lead the league in Twitter followers with 219K.

And 1.04M for the Canucks. Interesting that the Redblacks are last in Twitter followers considering they were praised for being social media conscience and putting their hash tag on their uniforms when they came into the league. The NHL Senators have 562K followers, so percentage wise the Redblacks are doing better in their own market than the Lions are.
Matt Baker
Rookie

David wrote:

We'd certainly like to be higher in terms of followers. When I started working for the club full-time in February of 2016, they had just surpassed the 100K follower mark on twitter. So the steady growth has been there. I think those Whitecaps' numbers are reflective of the challenges we face: the need to continue to relate and attract the younger demographic. One big advantage the Caps also have is the ability to post video game highlights directly into social media. That totally helps with engagement. We, and other CFL clubs, have bent the rules on that occasionally, but the CFL on TSN contract forbids us. I have been trying to change this. Might have to be more vocal.

I wouldn't be too quick to diminish the Argos either. They have an outstanding video and content crew.
David
Team Captain

No complaints about the social content, Matt. You and the club do a great job with fan engagement. It's just when I tracked this (no more than) a couple of years ago, BC was 3rd in the league behind Sask and Wpg. Other teams' numbers have really spiked while we don't seem to have grown at the same rate, although if you're showing a 24% increase in 2 years, that is pretty good.

And yes, Toronto has very strong social media content. "Lowly Argos" was more a comment about the size of their fan base - in game, at least.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Matt Baker wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:37 pm
David wrote:

We'd certainly like to be higher in terms of followers. When I started working for the club full-time in February of 2016, they had just surpassed the 100K follower mark on twitter. So the steady growth has been there. I think those Whitecaps' numbers are reflective of the challenges we face: the need to continue to relate and attract the younger demographic. One big advantage the Caps also have is the ability to post video game highlights directly into social media. That totally helps with engagement. We, and other CFL clubs, have bent the rules on that occasionally, but the CFL on TSN contract forbids us. I have been trying to change this. Might have to be more vocal.

I wouldn't be too quick to diminish the Argos either. They have an outstanding video and content crew.
I'm no social media expert, but it seems the younger demo is embracing instagram as their platform of choice. I work in the entertainment industry (film & TV) and everyone I meet lately in that industry is on instragram first, facebook second, and twitter third. I personally prefer FB, but a lot of the posts I see from my FB "friends" are originating from their IG accounts.
Matt Baker
Rookie

David wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:47 pm
No complaints about the social content, Matt. You and the club do a great job with fan engagement. It's just when I tracked this (no more than) a couple of years ago, BC was 3rd in the league behind Sask and Wpg. Other teams' numbers have really spiked while we don't seem to have grown at the same rate, although if you're showing a 24% increase in 2 years, that is pretty good.

And yes, Toronto has very strong social media content. "Lowly Argos" was more a comment about the size of their fan base - in game, at least.

Oh no I get it, I wasn't taking it as a complaint or attempting to pump our own tires. Just merely pointing out that it has gradually grown in terms of followers in last couple years.
Matt Baker
Rookie

Belize City Lion wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:51 pm
Matt Baker wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:37 pm
David wrote:

I'm no social media expert, but it seems the younger demo is embracing instagram as their platform of choice. I work in the entertainment industry (film & TV) and everyone I meet lately in that industry is on instragram first, facebook second, and twitter third. I personally prefer FB, but a lot of the posts I see from my FB "friends" are originating from their IG accounts.
Definitely some truth to that. Snapchat was the popular one for awhile, but now I feel Instagram takes the cake. I myself put most of my stuff in Instagram now too, especially when I attend an event. Game, concert etc...
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Twitter is my main news source. I follow the league, teams, players, sports media organizations and journalists and rely on news being posted to Twitter first. Facebook is for friends and family. I follow some celebrities on Instagram but don't post there. I notice a lot of links on Twitter to pictures on Instagram but I'm looking mainly for information, not pictures.