2017 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

If the Lions are looking for a magic formula to fix challenges at the gate, they need to look across the Rockies at what's happened in Edmonton. Their 50/50 draw last week was for $436,000. No coincidence that the Eskimos drew 36,000 people to their last home game.

I agree SG. Find a way to bring that number up to help out BC communities. Maybe their sponsors could kick in and be a 'feel good' news story.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:12 pm
If the Lions are looking for a magic formula to fix challenges at the gate, they need to look across the Rockies at what's happened in Edmonton. Their 50/50 draw last week was for $436,000. No coincidence that the Eskimos drew 36,000 people to their last home game.

I agree SG. Find a way to bring that number up to help out BC communities. Maybe their sponsors could kick in and be a 'feel good' news story.

It didn't hurt that the pot was seeded with the over $82K that went unclaimed in the season opener versus Montreal. A similar situation occurred back in 2014. That year they had $71.7K in carryover from the previous game. They expected the pot to reach $150K back then with $71.7K already being in the kitty but the pot wound up being $348K. The 36260 the Esks drew for the big jackpot game versus Ottawa was 4432 better than their opener against Montreal. No doubt knowing their would be a big jackpot influenced some but it's had to figure out how many extra game tickets were sold. Over the past few years it hasn't been unusual for Edmonton to have swings in attendance game to game, up or down of numbers anywhere between 3000 and 7000.

Having said that it isn't a bad idea. The Prince George Cougars have done this a few times recently under their new ownership. The first time they did it was as a fundraiser for a charity that was established in memory of the mother of one of their players. They seeded it with $25K worth of tickets purchased by sponsors and in turn gave their season ticket holders $10 worth of those tickets and every other fan a $1 ticket. It was a wild success with the game selling out. Only trouble was the system they had wasn't capable of meeting the overwhelming demand. While it was somewhat computerized they had to physically print a ticket for each one sold then put them into a barrel for the draw. They quickly realized that they wouldn't be able to print all the tickets to be able to do the draw before the end of the game. They had to cut sales off at the end of the 1st period intermission. 20 minutes after the game was over they were still printing tickets and finally announced they would do the draw the next day and fans would have to check the team website for the winning number. If I recall the total jackpot wound up being approximately $75K with the winner taking $37.5K. They now have the needed equipment to easily handle a big draw. I believe they did two "mega" 50/50 draws last year seeded by $25K in sponsor donations. I went to the one game. I think the winner's share was in the $67K range and the game sold out to the tune of 5500 fans, approximately 2000 above average for a weekend game.
Last edited by Hambone on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Huge Talent
Starter

SammyGreene wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:26 pm
Bombers announce all proceeds from their online 50/50 ticket sales this week will go to relief for families impacted by BC forest fires.

I know the Lions have their deal with BC Junior Football but how can they not counter by doing the same with the game day in stadium 50/50 draw? Could lead to a big purse and maybe even help game ticket sales to boot.
After all, you are the "BC" Lions.
What a great idea! Everyone wins - except perhaps junior football, but I can't see them calling the shots on how much charity money they get.

Some potential media buzz and BC Lions goodwill. It doesn't look like they're jumping on board tho.

Good on the Winnipeg Blue Bombers!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions and other teams have stepped up, and are encouraging fans to contribute to the cause. I like Winnipeg's 50/50 idea, though. I'd be more likely to buy a 50/50 ticket than to pledge a donation.
The Canadian Football League’s member clubs have united to support relief efforts in British Columbia where wildfires have forced thousands out of their homes.

“The BC Lions urged that we respond as one to help our fellow Canadians displaced by these wildfires,” said Randy Ambrosie, Commissioner of the Canadian Football League. ‘I’m pleased to say every team, as well as the league office, quickly agreed to make donations to the Red Cross totalling $50,000.”

Reports indicate about 40,000 residents have been forced to leave their homes and flood into evacuation centres in Kamloops and elsewhere. Parts of Alberta and Saskatchewan have been under air-quality advisories as smoke from BC spreads east.

The BC Lions, who host the Winnipeg Blue Bombers Friday night in Vancouver, are urging fans through all social media channels to further support this effort by texting FIRES to 30333. In doing so, a $10 donation will be made to victims of the BC wildfires via the Canadian Red Cross.

The Bombers, who operate an online 50-50 draw during their away games, have also stepped up and have pledged to donate this week’s proceeds to the Red Cross. (Only Manitoba residents are eligible to enter the draw.)
BC LIONS LEAD CHARGE FOR $50,000 DONATION TO WILDFIRE RELIEF
David
Team Captain

Another great PR move would have been to offer free tickets to evacuees from affected areas that are staying here temporarily on the Lower Mainland. Helps provide a nice evening out and serves a good cause and helps fill up some seats. Win-win.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

This morning I got this personalized email from the Lions (after buying my ticket through TM on Thursday for last nights game (so they are able to keep track of purchases made using TM login).
Hello _____,

Thank you for coming to the BC Lions game on Friday, July 21, 2017 at BC Place Stadium. We hope you had a great experience with us, and we would like to ask for a few minutes of your time for feedback about the game.

Please fill out the survey HERE.

It was just 6 questions. The "favorite player" pull-down menu in the Lions profile needs work--it hasn't been updated since last season and there is no write-in "other" option.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Some concerning news in LU's post-game story this week regarding the Lions TV numbers being significantly down so far this season. Hopefully Friday's thriller will boost the numbers as will the coming 1st place showdown in Edmonton.

But actually I'm not overly surprised given the "cord cutting" trend across the country when it comes to cable TV or millennials not bothering to get cable at all. It's happening big time in the States as well and without a doubt will be impacting future TV contracts, especially those leagues that are exclusively with all-sports stations.

Ambroise will have to look at the league or TSN providing some kind of streaming option in the near future to Canadian residents. It's probably a good thing the league extended their deal with TSN last season as it's hard to see the dollar value going up in coming years.
New commissioner Randy Ambrosie made the rounds on Terry Fox Plaza before Friday’s game with Lions execs George Chayka and Dennis Skulsky and by the time the night was over must have wondered what the fuss is all about with respect to the never-ending speculation about the sale of the team by David Braley, a saga that amazingly been the subject of local reporting now for more than a decade.

There was a decent uptick in attendance, announced at 21,017, and anyone who left thinking they were not entertained clearly did not have a pulse.

Nobody, however, needs to be reminded how much work has to be done to restore attendance order. And the real problem are the TV numbers of Lions games prior to Friday, which aren’t down a little but by a lot and flies in the face of the narrative that fans simply are staying home to watch, or the team’s laudable social media and community work just needs more time.

Every relevant figure isn’t available, but you’d almost have to go back more than a decade to find the last time the Lions had fewer than 400,000 fans watching on consecutive games, as they did for the contests in Toronto and Montreal. The number for Hamilton, a 487,000 average according to 3Down Nation editor Drew Edwards, was a little closer to corresponding figures for this time last year.

Those figures inevitably will improve towards the fall, but with long-term box office success seemingly well in the distance and Buono making it quite clear he won’t be back next season, Braley is kidding himself if he thinks there’s a better time to sell a diminished asset to one of the two local suitors who have been far more than a little patient waiting for him to pull the trigger.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions just played three straight games in the Eastern Time zone for the first time in their history, with local TV start times of 4 or 4:30 p.m. One of those games was in Montreal where most Als fans watch on RDS, not TSN. You're not going to draw a lot of West Coast viewers under those circumstances. The next few weeks should have more fan-friendly viewing times.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Bob Ackles was and many still are big proponents of TV blackouts to help boost attendance.

While TSN is not going to pay big $ to the CFL for TV rights and then allow blackouts, fans cutting the cable cord is a self inflicted blackout. So for those without cable TV there is no cheap beer and snacks in the fridge. To watch a Lions game it means going to a bar or the stadium. In theory then, while TV audiences may dwindle there is a chance to get some of those former TV fans to attend games.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:24 am
The Lions just played three straight games in the Eastern Time zone for the first time in their history, with local TV start times of 4 or 4:30 p.m. One of those games was in Montreal where most Als fans watch on RDS, not TSN. You're not going to draw a lot of West Coast viewers under those circumstances. The next few weeks should have more fan-friendly viewing times.
One split viewership between TSN and RDS. The other kicking off at the same time folks are kicking off their Canada Day weekend. Weeknight games back east are certainly less than ideal for west coast viewers given they will be half over by the time most get home from work. Any indications of the numbers for the game in Hamilton? It was on a Saturday.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:20 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
One split viewership between TSN and RDS. The other kicking off at the same time folks are kicking off their Canada Day weekend. Weeknight games back east are certainly less than ideal for west coast viewers given they will be half over by the time most get home from work. Any indications of the numbers for the game in Hamilton? It was on a Saturday.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Thanks BCF. Looks like Chris Zelkovich no longer does his weekly ratings report. I miss that because it showed the weekend top ratings for all sports. It gave a good look at where CFL ratings fit amongst the rest.
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Agreed. I am not shocked that local TV numbers were low for the Eastern swing. Team started 0-1 so there really were no compelling story lines (other than all the ex-Leos in MTL?). More importantly, it's been a bone-dry summer. 4:00pm game times when most people are either at work or soaking up rays at the beach is going to hurt viewership. I am starting to feel more of buzz around the team again. An acquaintance invited me to over to watch the EDM game (not realizing I have season tickets).

BTW, if anyone talks about moving the CFL season up, PUSH BACK! It may work for some cities but would be disastrous in this market. Not a lot of appetite for pigskin in early July, let alone May or June!

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:26 pm

BTW, if anyone talks about moving the CFL season up, PUSH BACK! It may work for some cities but would be disastrous in this market. Not a lot of appetite for pigskin in early July, let alone May or June!

Agreed. Would also be an even bigger disaster in Toronto, especially if the Leafs and Raptors were both in the playoffs and the Jays were in good early-season form.

I think the CFL would also take a backseat to NHL playoffs in most other cities with franchises in both sports.

People in Vancouver associate football with the fall, when the NFL, college/university and high school seasons get rolling. The Lions attendance usually increases in the fall when people are back from summer vacations and outdoor activities .