Kamloops Training Camp 2017

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Just a bit of fun: Just spent an interesting few minutes clicking through the team roster (individual) photos. Did so upon first noting at a glance that all seemed to be in their proper orange-shirts at last. No more obsolete and/or random enemy colours to be seen! That said, the timing's interesting, as still many more cuts to come -- so some will die in team colours, alas. Perhaps it serves as incentive -- give 'em a taste of 'belonging' now already and they may work mightily to stay in that uni. (All whimsy and speculation on my part. Was never more than a playground player. I surely don't know.)

Whatever... What I do know though -- based purely on face value of course -- is that young Danny Vandervoort appears to have been born to be a Leo -- he's more ginger even than Lulay. And, why are they using what appears to be a pic of Swayze Waters at age 10?! (I can not believe the man's 30). And, just wondering... should we be concerned... our ever-intense Mr. Purifoy is smiling (yes smiling!) for the camera... how does this auger for his state of mind for the campaign ahead? I've in the past worried about him -- his sometimes unbridled intensity -- but I certainly didn't ever want to see him swing over to looking congenial! And speaking of which: see Hunter Steward -- hands down the winner of the 'I've got a chip on my shoulder and furthermore I hate you" look. Bless him! LOL
David
Team Captain

As far as rookies go, it sounds as the Vandervoot and Luke have come as promised, while Anthony Thompson may be showing the most year-over-year improvement. But in terms of the US free agent signings, the name that seems to have come out of nowhere that is going to be tough to not find a place for on the roster is receiver Maurice Morgan. I would say him, Shirley and Awe have been the new players that have stood out. But Morgan seems to be making bigger strides by the day (again, just going by what I've read).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:30 pm
As far as rookies go, it sounds as the Vandervoot and Luke have come as promised, while Anthony Thompson may be showing the most year-over-year improvement. But in terms of the US free agent signings, the name that seems to have come out of nowhere that is going to be tough to not find a place for on the roster is receiver Maurice Morgan. I would say him, Shirley and Awe have been the new players that have stood out. But Morgan seems to be making bigger strides by the day (again, just going by what I've read).

Another second year player who has made big strides is Shaq Johnson. He has jumped ahead of Stephen Adekolu and Brett Blaszko as the fifth receiver despite missing a week of camp. When he came back, he was flying around and catching everything, and he seems to have continued this week.

Maurice Morgan didn't stand out to me during thre first week of camp. He took second-team reps behind Corey Jones and caught some passes, but so did a lot of guys. What makes good receivers is the ability to recognize coverages, make the same read as the quarterback and run a good route. That's where Morgan seems to have progressed while others have faltered. His TD in The FanFest scrimmage was nothing spectacular, going by the video on bclions.com. He just recognized zone coverage and got to the open area behind Ronnie Yell before the deep DB could get across.
Blitz
Team Captain

Our Leos have made their first round of cuts.

The biggest name of this first round of cuts is Keith Price. Alex Ross has won the third string quarterback position for 2017 and Keith Price lost the spot with a poor outing in Calgary, where he fumbled twice and was intercepted once, while only throwing for 40 yards on 16 attempts.

I believe our Leos made the right call on the third string quarterback position. Ross showed that he is athletic and also has a very good arm.

Our Leos also released Vincent Brown, who we picked up in the Olifioye trade and draft choices Edward Godin and Mitchell Hillis.

Linebacker Nehemie Kankolongo, who played special teams for our Leos last season was also let go.

The first round of cuts:

QB Keith Price
DL Harold Brantley (I)
DL Edward Godin (N)
OL Vincent Brown (I)
OL Quinn Horton (N)
OL Evan Telford (N)
WR Mitchell Hillis (N)
WR Montario Hunter (I)
WR Deon Long (I)
DB Adrian James (I)
DB Justin Thomas (I)
LB Nehemie Kankolongo (N)
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

One thing hat was evident in the scrimmage last night is that Wally and his staff have assembled as deep and talented a group of receivers as I can ever recall in orange. Just about every receiver turned in a "Wow! What a great catch!" moment, Some contributed multiple such efforts be it battling tight coverage, climbing the ladder or outright winning the battle with a DB trying to strip it out of their hands for an incompletion.

If Shaq Johnson didn't already have a lock on a starting job before last night he probably does now. He displayed a blend of speed and playmaking ability you don't often see in a NAT. He made a great catch for the first TD climbing the ladder deep in the endzone with a DB drapped all over him. Vandervoort didn't have many receptions but served notice going high to snare one over the middle again with a DB right on him. I had the pleasure of meeting DanoT and sat with him through the scrimmage. Very Fantuz-like was his comment. Iannuzzi showed his glue-like hands on a low outside heater on a crossing route. Blazko and Adekolu didn't make highlight reels but made the plays when called upon.

On the INT side Jones was the least noticable. Manny was Manny. Burnham as usual came up with just about everything thrown his way be it inches off the turf or at the top of his vertical. Moore won a nice battle for the ball. Morgan again looked good as did McNeil making tough catches at key points.

The running game didn't really show much. I honestly don't recall a noticble run but Rainey and Johnson had some nice plays on passes coming out of the backfield.

At QB Jennings started a bit slowly. Travis looked good and led Team Buono to some nice drives in the first half. Arm strength is not a factor. He made all the throws with authority. Alex Ross had one picked by SolE but that was on a ball tipped up at the line. Great effort by SE to get his hands under it inches off the turf. Ross seemd to make good reads, has a quick release and also good wheels to avoid the rush.

On special teams they more or less went through the motions as far as returning. It was either Long kicking off with only the returners and coverage team on the field or Long kicking off with the returners and return team being out there. I don't know if there is an injury issue with Waters. Long handled all kicking while Waters stood on the sidelines in jersey, sweats and ball cap. On Friday night's practice session I didn't see him at all. As for Long he punted well. Lots of hangtime. Kickoffs all went deep, down to around the 10 with the light tailwind and around the 15 to 20 into the wind. He hit the outside of the right upright from 48 on 1 FG but otherwise I think was purrfect on FGS and converts.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Blitz
Team Captain

With our season opener getting closer, our Leos have still not determined who will be our starting five in the defensive backfield.

Buono wants to move Chandler Fenner to safety to have a look at him playing that position. Fenner has been slated behind Purifoy at nickel back. Clarke and Macdonald have been fighting it our for the starting safety spot, with Clarke penciled in at the top of the depth chart. Thompson has had such a good camp, that in any other season, as a National, he would be slated as our starting safety.

Yell and Lee seem to have locked down the starting boundary corner and half back spots but safety, and field side halfback and corner are stil up in the air.

At field halfback, the return of Anthony Gaitor meant a battle between free agent Buddy Jackson and Gaitor who played so very well for us last season at boundary corner and boundary halfback.

Throwing another wrinkle into the mix is that Junior Luke has had an excellent training camp and Maxx Forde has also looked good.. That means that Buono could go with a National tackle. And that could change things for Kenyan Parker and Matt Bucknor. Buono could possibly slide Gaitor to field corner with that scenario, depending on whether he wishes to add an International to the defensive backfield or use the International on offence.

Buono knows this is his last season. He wants to go out in a blaze of glory, basking in the accolades of returning to the sidelines to once again bring us to the Promised Land. Buono has done a heck of a job as our GM. this off- season. This Leos 2017 team is one of the most talented and deepest ever.

But if Buono wants to hoist the Grey Cup in his very last season, he knows that our defence has to be better than last season. Personnel decisions for our 2017 defense are getting closer and there are difficult decisions to make and many options to consider.

Whatever, decisions are made, I have no doubt that this team has the talent to win the Big Dance in 2017, giving us die hard Leo fans the opportunity to celebrate and Buono the ability to bask under a golden sun in Hawaii next December.

But for those moments to take place, our coaching has to be better than in 2017. We made some excellent strides last season, especially on offence. But in the end, Calgary ripped apart our defence while the Stamps held our high octane deep passing offence at bay.

What will our starting lineup look like for our season opener.

It would not surprise me to see Shaq Johnson getting our fifth receiver non over Adekolu and Blazco, with one of them cut and the other on the practice roster. I still believe we will go with Moore over Maurice Morgan, if we only start three International recievers, with Iannuzzi lined up in the wide slot. But should Buono go with four Intenatrional recievers, I can see us going with Morgan and Moore, Burnham and Manny, with Shaq Johnson as our fifth receiver.

On defence, I can see us going with Luke and Forde in a National rotation at tackle, beside Brooks. One of Buono's toughest decisions is at outside linebacker. Right now its Burnett, with Awe backing him up. However, Ontco was our special teams leader last season. My choice would be Awe and Ontco at that position but my guess is our Leos will go with experience and their free agent choice of Burnett, while also using a rotation at outside linebacker.

Our Leos have moved Davis inside, to middle linebacker, which means that he will be a practice roster player to begin the season. I would not be surprised to see National linebacker Adrian Clarke cut or moved to the practice roster to make way for Chagnon.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Blitz wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:34 am
Throwing another wrinkle into the mix is that Junior Luke has had an excellent training camp and Maxx Forde has also looked good.. That means that Buono could go with a National tackle. And that could change things for Kenyan Parker and Matt Bucknor. Buono could possibly slide Gaitor to field corner with that scenario, depending on whether he wishes to add an International to the defensive backfield or use the International on offence.
Unfortunately I got caught up more with the play of the receivers and didn't pay much attention to who was lined up where in the secondary. However the most recent depth chart posted just Saturday morning shows some movement related to S and field CB. Bucknor is now listed as backup to Clarke at S while Thompson moved from backup S to starting field CB with Parker dropping into the backup spot. Parker has been banged up and spent the Friday night session and scrimmage on the sidelines so not sure if the depth chart change is performance or health driven. One would think if it was the latter Bucknor would just slide up to take the starting reps.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Blitz
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:55 pm
Blitz wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:34 am
Unfortunately I got caught up more with the play of the receivers and didn't pay much attention to who was lined up where in the secondary. However the most recent depth chart posted just Saturday morning shows some movement related to S and field CB. Bucknor is now listed as backup to Clarke at S while Thompson moved from backup S to starting field CB with Parker dropping into the backup spot. Parker has been banged up and spent the Friday night session and scrimmage on the sidelines so not sure if the depth chart change is performance or health driven. One would think if it was the latter Bucknor would just slide up to take the starting reps.
Thanks Hambone for posting some of the changes to the depth chart. It appears that Buono and Co. are not contemplating moving Gaitor to field corner and sticking with a National at that position, whether its Parker or Bucknor or even Thompson. But its not out of the realm of possibility that we move Gaitor to field corner down the road, depending on how things progress this season.

I found it interesting that Buono wanted to take a look at Chandler Fenner at free safety. With Clarke slotted into that spot to start training camp, with MacDonald showing potential, and with the play of Thompson at safety during training camp, one would no think that Buono would try Fenner at free safety.

But then again, Fenner Is not going to beat out Purifoy. Fenner was slotted into the nickel back position as International depth for Purifoy but if Fenner can show something at safety, then perhaps he adds flexibility, in terms of being able to be a backup at both positions,

One of the big stories of this training camp has to be Luke. He is a rookie who has come in and really shown that he has a lot of potential while also looking like he can step in and play right away.

Another good story is Vaillencourt. He started the first two games for us last season and then was injured. He is a very big, very aggressive very tough offensive guard. It will take him time to adjust to playing on the left side but once he does, I think we are going to be watching a very good offensive lineman.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone, it was nice to run into you at Fan Fest.

The Lions receivers really did put on an entertaining show.

It was strange that Swayze Waters did not participate. If he is injured, even slightly , I guess it will end any conversation with the TiCats about a trade for Ty Long who seems to be doing ok at FGs, punts, and kick offs.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:22 pm

It was strange that Swayze Waters did not participate. If he is injured, even slightly , I guess it will end any conversation with the TiCats about a trade for Ty Long who seems to be doing ok at FGs, punts, and kick offs.
Hamilton has just signed Anthony Fera, so they're probably out of the trade market, unless the Lions decide to deal Waters. I doubt it. I like Long, though.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Bucknor is now listed as backup to Clarke at S while Thompson moved from backup S to starting field CB with Parker dropping into the backup spot. Parker has been banged up and spent the Friday night session and scrimmage on the sidelines so not sure if the depth chart change is performance or health driven. One would think if it was the latter Bucknor would just slide up to take the starting reps.
It looks like a little of both. Thompson has played well, and Parker is banged up. Here's an update from Matt Baker's Day 16 report at bclions.com:
Battles Brewin’

A couple of interesting positions to watch between now and the end of the Saskatchewan game. Kelvin Palmer has been taking plenty of reps. at starting right tackle, ahead of the incumbent Antonio Johnson. On defence, Anthony Thompson has emerged as the starting field corner with fellow non-imports Keynan Parker and Matt Bucknor behind him. Obviously nothing is set in stone yet, but it speaks to how hard Thompson has worked in the off-season. The real beauty here is any one of those three Canadian DB’s can play a variety of positions, including safety.
Injury Report

Parker sat out various drills to heal some bumps and bruises. Defensive linemen Dylan Ainsworth (neck) and Luther Maddy (broken hand) remain on the shelf. Defensive back TJ Lee took the day off with a minor foot issue, non-related to the achilles injury he suffered in 2016. A close eye continues to be on kicker Swayze Waters. The free agent addition continues to deal with a quad issue after not getting any work in at Calgary last week. No official word yet on his status for Friday night. It could mean Ty Long gets another chance to showcase himself.
TRAINING CAMP DAY 16 REPORT | HOMECOMING OF SORTS
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:18 pm
Hambone wrote:
Bucknor is now listed as backup to Clarke at S while Thompson moved from backup S to starting field CB with Parker dropping into the backup spot. Parker has been banged up and spent the Friday night session and scrimmage on the sidelines so not sure if the depth chart change is performance or health driven. One would think if it was the latter Bucknor would just slide up to take the starting reps.
It looks like a little of both. Thompson has played well, and Parker is banged up. Here's an update from Matt Baker's Day 16 report at bclions.com:
Battles Brewin’

A couple of interesting positions to watch between now and the end of the Saskatchewan game. Kelvin Palmer has been taking plenty of reps. at starting right tackle, ahead of the incumbent Antonio Johnson. On defence, Anthony Thompson has emerged as the starting field corner with fellow non-imports Keynan Parker and Matt Bucknor behind him. Obviously nothing is set in stone yet, but it speaks to how hard Thompson has worked in the off-season. The real beauty here is any one of those three Canadian DB’s can play a variety of positions, including safety.
Injury Report

Parker sat out various drills to heal some bumps and bruises. Defensive linemen Dylan Ainsworth (neck) and Luther Maddy (broken hand) remain on the shelf. Defensive back TJ Lee took the day off with a minor foot issue, non-related to the achilles injury he suffered in 2016. A close eye continues to be on kicker Swayze Waters. The free agent addition continues to deal with a quad issue after not getting any work in at Calgary last week. No official word yet on his status for Friday night. It could mean Ty Long gets another chance to showcase himself.
TRAINING CAMP DAY 16 REPORT | HOMECOMING OF SORTS
Interesting that Thompson has moved into the front position for the starting wide side corner position. I would love to see a National defensive back play corner for our Leos, whether its Thompson or Parker.
At the same time, I think it would be a shame not to make Gaitor a starter...he is too good not to be on the field so hopefully he will get the nod as our wide side halfback spot.

One thing we know is that if Lee is nicked, both Clarke and Gaitor can play that position and played it well last season. In terms of safety, right now it looks like its still a battle between Clarke and MacDonald, with Fenner also being given a look. Both Nationals Thompson, who is now at corner and Bucknor, who is being shifted to safety for the time being, also are being given a look see.

My guess is that Wally will choose either Clarke or MacDonald at free safety and keep Fenner on the roster as the backup nickel back and back up International safety but I could be wrong too.

On offence I would not be surprised to see Palmer beat out Antonio Johnson It will be a close call with Wally either optioning to go for Johnson's experience last year or choosing Palmer's upside. Palmer spent time on the Cardinals’, Kansas City Chiefs’ and Pittsburgh Steelers’ rosters. Palmer had a standout college career at Baylor and he is tall, very strong, and very athletic but he is a bit light at 290 pounds for today's pro standard. He has played bigger, weighing 302 pounds when he was on the Steelers roster.

Antonio Johnson was a four year starter in college, where he played left tackle so he had to adjust to the right side last season. He's bigger than Palmer but not as athletic. Johnson came in last year and did a decent job for us at right tackle as a rookie. He was not projected as a starter for 2016, with the lauded free agent signing of Levi Adcock.

Good thing we have a quality backup kicker/punter in Long at camp and playing very well. For all we know, we could start the season with Long as our punter/kicker. Hamilton signed Fera but I would still not be surprised to see Hamilton sign Long off our practice roster when the time arrives.

Palmer spent time on the Cardinals’, Kansas City Chiefs’ and Pittsburgh Steelers’ rosters. Palmer had a standout collge career at Baylor and he is tall, very strong, and very athletic but he is a bit light at 290 pounds for today's pro standard. He has played bigger, weighing 302 pounds when he was on the Steelers roster.

Johnson was a four year starter in college, where he played left tackle so he had to adjust to the right side last season. He's bigger than Palmer but not as athletic.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Agreed, great to have a potential talent such as young Mr. Long stepping up -- booting the ball for us while Mr. Waters is out of action through this stretch. And who knows what may come of it. I like the fact that Long (as I've noted before) is a handful of years younger than Waters who is already 30. That's not old for a kicker -- but a younger leg is a younger leg.

Which reminds me of a closely related position/potential situation I was musing over just this morning... Who is the back up for Benson our long-snapper? He's a sturdy fellow and has stayed healthy, but things happen (game-day flu, family emergencies, whatever). There's no second player listed as L/S. I looked over the rosters of all the teams in that regard and, like us, most teams only carry one (Montreal and Edmonton I think were the two exceptions -- but that might be temporary with them -- i.e. a TC thing).

Anyone know who snaps the ball if Benson can't? Does Cody Husband at centre perhaps practice the long snaps too? Anyhow -- wishing best of health to all of them.
BC 1988
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:05 pm
DanoT wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:22 pm

Hamilton has just signed Anthony Fera, so they're probably out of the trade market, unless the Lions decide to deal Waters. I doubt it. I like Long, though.
Also the Argos signed Pfeffer (who started his CFL career with them, back after getting a GC ring with OTT).
I was apprehensive about signing Waters, because he hasn't been able to prove he can stay healthy since 2015. Training camp drills were enough to sideline him again this time. It looks like Ty Long is going to really get a shot at making the team (and he deserves it).
David
Team Captain

Lions radio show with Scotty, Giulio, and LU coming on TSN1040 now:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... isten-live

Roar, You Lions, Roar