Kamloops Training Camp 2017

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.bclions.com/2017/05/21/quota ... -kamloops/

Time for some football.

Nice article by Matt Baker.

The scenery looks awesome in Kamloops. And we are so lucky to be in B.C. and in Canada. God bless the bombing victims and their families in the United Kingdom.

The players are happy to be back at Camp. They express their appreciation of Kamloops, its citizens and the many Lions fans there to see them.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It looks like the weather will be sunny and hot most of the time, which is great for fans at least. I'll be there for the first few days of main camp.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I still haven't decided which weekend I'll be attending but leaning on being there for June 3 & 4. Might even be able to catch part of the practice on the 2nd.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.bclions.com/training-camp/

Training Camp guide and schedule.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.bclions.com/2017/05/23/lions ... mini-camp/

Lions add three receivers for mini-camp and TC.

aklawitter
All Star

I'm going to be up there until Monday. Hopefully catch some TC action, we shall see as my schedule is loaded up with golf
Alputt
Champion

Just caught up with Lulay, Elimimian and Jennings at an appearance. Was a great way to kick off the season! They are looking forward to camp and shipping out first thing.
pennw
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 6:03 am

That's alot of receivers competing for few spaces this year .
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

pennw wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 4:21 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 6:03 am

That's alot of receivers competing for few spaces this year .
The Lions like to take about 15 receivers to camp so they can have fresh legs to go three deep at every position. They seem to have 15 now. The odds may seem stacked against rookies but the Lions will keep about 10 receivers on the active or practice roster (not counting injured lists), so rookies who stand out will have a chance to stick. That's how Manny Arceneaux and Bryan Burnham cracked the roster.
squishy35
Legend

I will head to the practice today sometime after work. Will be away for the weekend but will try to add the odd observations to this thread.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Rookies took to the field Thursday, and already there are a few surprises in the initial mini-camp depth chart.

First, a couple of veteran DBs coming off injuries are taking reps with the rookies: Steven Clarke as starting safety and T.J. Lee at boundary halfback.

At linebacker, Dyshawn Davis gets the inside track at replacing Adam Bighill, taking first-team reps among the rookies at weakside linebacker. Micah Awe is lined up at Solomon Elimimian's middle linebacker spot.

On the D-line, Josh Shirley is lined up at Alex Bazzie's rush end position, while Andrew Hudson is at the opposite end where Craig Roh and David Menard usually play. Luther Maddy and Frank Alexander are taking first-team reps inside. Alexander is backed up by rookie first-round draft choice Junior Luke. I thought Alexander would be a natural CFL defensive end at 270 pounds but the coaches seem to have other ideas. They seem intent on starting four internationals on the DL.

On offence, Brett Blaszko is listed as first team field wideout (Marco Iannuzzi's regular position), while fellow second-year Lion Shaq Johnson is listed as outside slotback, backed up by rookie third overall draft choice Danny Vandervoort. That's Nick Moore and Stephen Adekolu's regular position.

On the O-line, David Foucault is at left tackle, confirming the coaches' plan to have him compete with or back up Hunter Steward as the Lions start four nationals. Kelvin Palmer, who started one game for the Lions at right tackle last year, appears to be the favourite to challenge or back up last year's starter Antonio Johnson.

I'm not at mini-camp so I can't confirm that players are taking reps as listed on the depth chart. A lot can change when the veterans are added to the mix on Sunday but this gives an early indication of the coaching staff's expectations for individual players and for the ratio.
InUrFace
Rookie

Weather in Kamloops is windy and light rain at the moment.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Here's Matt Baker's minicamp recap - Day 1 from bclions.com, mentioning several players who stood out. Shaq Johnson tweaked a knee.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Here's Matt Baker's minicap recap - Day 2 from bclions.com

I'm concerned by the injury reports.
Speaking of ailments, day two marked the first on field activity for TJ Lee since his devastating Achilles injury suffered in week four at Saskatchewan last season. He took it slow and sat out at various times but he told us he felt as good as he ever has. It will be intriguing to monitor his progress as the club looks to shuffle its defensive secondary in 2017. Steven Clarke was also on the field after taking yesterday off. The battle at safety with newcomer Tevin McDonald will be certainly one to watch.
Receiver Shaq Johnson (hamstring) sat out for a second straight day but looks to be improving. Defensive linemen Frank Alexander (foot) and Josh Shirley (calf) joined him on the injured list. All will be re-evaluated Saturday morning.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Hard to read too much into early injuries as they will exercise extreme caution this early. They won't take any chances with even the most minor of strains.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.