Orridge Steps Down as CFL Commissioner

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Without knowing what went on in the boardroom, I thought Orridge did a good job of identifying and tackling some of the key issues facing the game, specifically efforts to broaden the fan base to a younger, digitally savvy generation. The league and the teams vastly improved their digital presence in recent years through enhanced website content and social media exposure. The Thursday NIght Football venture, while not popular with season ticket holders in many markets, was used effectively to reach out to a new generation of fans by showing young people having fun in the stands. The inaugural CFL Week, an idea credited to Orridge, appears to have been a resounding success.

I don't know of any ex-players who might be qualified for the commissioner's job. It requires more than an appreciation and love of the game. It requires someone with savvy legal, marketing and sponsorship experience.

In an era of cable cord-cutting and cutbacks by media organizations, including Bell Media, parent of TSN, the next TV contract may not be as lucrative as the current deal. Ticket sales are threatened by the emergence of HDTV, which gives viewers at home superior exposure to players, game action and analysis, and a great excuse to forgo the game-day hassle and expenses of commuting, parking, tickets and concessions. The two biggest challenges of the next commissioner are to broaden the reach of the game through live streaming and to work with teams to bolster attendance by enhancing the live-game experience for fans inside and outside the stadiums

Someone floated the name of Wayne Parrish, former Canada Basketball CEO and Postmedia COO, as a possible successor to Orridge. He appears to have a solid background and experience for the job, and was at the forefront of the digital media transformation. I hope the board is bold enough to seek candidates who can build on Orridge's accomplishments and tackle the new challenges that lie ahead.

Report: Parrish interested in CFL Commissioner post
BC 1988
Legend

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/ou ... ummer-off/
While he repeated

"I’m not going to get into specifics or details about that but that’s essentially where we are," Orridge said. "We made a decision it would be best to part ways."

the article does provide good insight into what he accomplished. I wonder if the CTE comment was his personal opinion or the League's official stance?
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Seems a reasonable choice (apparently the runner-up to Orridge last time.)
http://3downnation.com/2017/06/28/forme ... er-report/
CardiacKid
Legend

I was thinking based on comments of the acting commissioner, this was going to be a drawn out process that lasted a few more months. I am taking this as good news for the Lions. With a commissioner in place, he might bring a degree of pressure to bear on speeding up the Lions sale.
Or if the Braley-Young-Wetenhall triumvirate is still together and united, he is going to be constantly looking sideways into a mirror to see if any knives are sticking in his back.
BC 1988
Legend

As Gridiron Ernie posted yesterday:
http://www.tsn.ca/report-ambrosie-to-be ... r-1.791833
Looks like it's almost official. 1040 repeated this information on radio today.
At least he does have some experience in the business of the league (in addition to his 9 year playing career). Considering he was a runner-up to Orridge last time, maybe the league will get it right on the 2nd try.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I don't know enough about Ambrosie's business background and his plans for the commissioner's job, so I'll reserve judgment.

I was hoping that Wayne Parrish would be appointed commissioner. His sports management and digital media background seems perfectly suited to the job. Orridge, though, checked all of those boxes yet quickly fell out of favour with his bosses and many fans (not me). I thought Orridge made some great innovations in player safety, digital marketing, building a younger fan base. His successor will inherit these initiatives.