2017 CFL Draft - What Players Will Our Leos Choose

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

CardiacKid wrote:I will be very interested to see how Herdman pans out, among the more intriguing picks IMO. He is labelled as not testing well but his game day performances are the reverse. Plus playing alongside his twin brother in the linebacking corps at SFU makes for an interesting story. Maybe he will become what many of us had hoped for Bo Lokombo?!?!
I'm mixed on Herdman but I have nothing to gauge him on other than raw stats. Keep hearing about Jordan being opposite game days vs testing. Is not testing well a sign of someone not totally dedicated to his craft or lacking some in work ethic, practice habits and preparation? One would think with Kelly Bates running things at SFU and Dean Valli on his staff that if anybody can get some insights into what makes the Herdmans tick it would be BC. Perhaps they did which is why they slid to the 6th round. Apparently Justin is rather miffed that he was the 5th LB drafted instead of the 1st. Interesting that the Argos opted for the twin with the lesser numbers.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
pennw
Legend

Blitz wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Jeremy Zver. Left tackle.

Very athletic. Very, very strong. Very aggressive. Very mobile.

6'4'' 300 lbs.

He looks like a very good pick to me.
I would have taken Randy Colling with our first round choice, along with Luke. Colling and Luke would have given us the ability to start one National tackle and have Luke rotate in.

Many thought we would take Colling with our first choice and when Coling was available at #6 Hufnagel was shocked and arranged a trade for him. Colling could be the steal of this draft for Calgary.
I don't think this scenario would of happened without BC trading up to make it happen . Had BC picked Colling with their first pick , who would Calgary have picked then ? Maybe Luke ? One DT instead of the other, if their first choice is gone ? I would think that highly likely myself.
Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:I was a little surprised that we took Vanderhoot at #3 overall too, Blitz. However, I have to think that Geroy, who would extensively scouted and attended the combine, saw something in him that gave him the edge over Behar. It obviously wasn't speed. I will be interested to follow this receiver draft class as we could have plucked a UBC guy later (Alex Morrison) who ended up being taken 29th overall by Montreal (he's at the Giants' mini camp). He had a fantastic 2015 campaign (645 receiving yards), but his 2016 season was cut short by a gruesome arm injury.

Could it be possible that Blaszko and Johnson didn't impress at the 3 day OTAs, and that's why we felt the need to grab a stud receiver early (we're only going to play with one National this year anyway, so I can't believe they were panicking by losing Shawn Gore, especially with proven players like Iannuzzi and Adekolu)?

As for Bazzie, while he was cut by the Colts, he just signed with the Panthers. I would be surprised if he stuck down there, but LU was on the TSN 1040 yesterday and didn't think Wally would try to re-sign him, adding that he didn't think he put the same weight on losing Bazzie as he did Bighill and Lokombo.

DH :cool:
by DanoT » Tue May 09, 2017 10:28 am
I was also surprised by the Vandervoot selection. My immediate response was that Vandervoot is one of the most starter ready in the draft and it is a sign that Wally is pulling out all the stops to build a "win it all now" team; something that would mesh with a HC/GM in his final year before retirement...just sayin'.

Also Iannuzzi fits nicely into Wally's preference to have a veteran backup receiver, with a younger, stronger guy playing most of the downs.
Obviously Wally wants players who can either come in and start right away, rotate in, or play special teams. He certainly did not draft with an eye on the longer term or he might have chosen a player or two who had an NFL shot (outside of Herdman). There were no Boyko's or Lokombo type of selections in this draft for Buono. Buono could have drafted an Enkou in the later rounds but he chose not to. No doubt its win now for Buono...and I believe you were right David when you said "just saying".

I'm not disappointed that we drafted Vandervoot even if I would have chosen Colling myself. I'm not overly concerned with Vandervoot's 40 yard time. Gery was not that fast in the 40 either. But he was football fast. Vandervoot likely is football fast too and he did get deep in college so he knows how to set up defensive backs.

Training camp will be interesting this year, especially at the receiver position.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Blitz wrote: Obviously Wally wants players who can either come in and start right away, rotate in, or play special teams. He certainly did not draft with an eye on the longer term or he might have chosen a player or two who had an NFL shot (outside of Herdman). There were no Boyko's or Lokombo type of selections in this draft for Buono. Buono could have drafted an Enkou in the later rounds but he chose not to. No doubt its win now for Buono...and I believe you were right David when you said "just saying".

I'm not disappointed that we drafted Vandervoot even if I would have chosen Colling myself. I'm not overly concerned with Vandervoot's 40 yard time. Gery was not that fast in the 40 either. But he was football fast. Vandervoot likely is football fast too and he did get deep in college so he knows how to set up defensive backs.

Training camp will be interesting this year, especially at the receiver position.
As the 5th round was approaching I said to myself Justin Senior wouldn't make it past BC's 5th round pick. Well I was right. I was fully expecting BC would take him at #42. Then as the 5th round was starting I realized Edmonton had back to backs right ahead of BC. Right then I knew Senior wouldn't make it to #42 because Edmonton would burn one of their 5ths on him.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Is Danny V a better pro prospect than Brett Blaszko?

Similar size. Blaszko is faster.

Danny V was highly productive in college. As was Blaszko.

We have heard that the quality of this year's crop was not up to that of previous years.

With the pick of Danny V at #3, when we seemed in greater need in the OL and DL, one wonders. Does our staff lack belief in Blaszko, Adekolu and Johnson? If Blaszko is released (unlikely methinks), I expect he would be snapped up by another team, and could very well go on to a productive CFL career.

No doubt Danny V moves to the top of the depth chart tp replace Shawn Gore.

We also heard that the TiCats were hot to draft Danny V at #4.

I posted an article on Randy Colling when he became available for the draft. And I wondered if Calgary had scooped the league, drafting him. We will see how the huge DT pans out. But he sounds like a force. I had hoped we might draft him. Hufnagel, who seems so astute, moved up in the order to draft him.

Blitz has shared some of these ponderings re Colling.

This fan is happy with our work on the draft, and with the results. These are just musings ...

This fan thinks there is somewhat of a tendency to take Neil McEvoy for granted. It seems to this fan that he should be at the top of any team's list of prospects for GM. Nice to see Wally kicking back a bit on draft day, letting McAvoy handle most of the action. I hope that when Wally retires McEvoy moves right into the GM job. And we see Geroy bravely on duty at the draft, when his heart is aching. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Youtube video on Junior Luke.

Physical. Mobile. Aggressive. Can really move.

Glad to hear he has taken to high level training to augment his talent.

It would seem he is well suited to the CFL game. Solid pick.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

SammyGreene
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Is Danny V a better pro prospect than Brett Blaszko?

Similar size. Blaszko is faster.

Danny V was highly productive in college. As was Blaszko.

We have heard that the quality of this year's crop was not up to that of previous years.

With the pick of Danny V at #3, when we seemed in greater need in the OL and DL, one wonders. Does our staff lack belief in Blaszko, Adekolu and Johnson? If Blaszko is released (unlikely methinks), I expect he would be snapped up by another team, and could very well go on to a productive CFL career.

No doubt Danny V moves to the top of the depth chart tp replace Shawn Gore.

We also heard that the TiCats were hot to draft Danny V at #4.
There is always the Dorazio factor too WC Joe.
One minute the Lions could be lining up 4 nationals on the oline and the next minute they are not. Taking Vandervoot at #3 still gives Wally the option of putting him or another national into Gore's spot and going back to two international tackles if need be. I have seen so many different scenarios under "Dr. D" that anything is possible.

Totally agree too Blitz. Lions showing a ton of confidence in Vandervoot. Will we see immediate separation between him and the other national receivers at training camp to justify the pick? Do they think he can jump Ianuzzi quickly too into starter's status? It will be very interesting.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

John Hodge of 3downnation.com evaluated all nine teams' draft classes, and ranked the Lions first. His comments:
The Lions addressed their two biggest positional needs early in receiver Danny Vandervoort and defensive tackle Junior Luke. Some feel that Vandervoort has already reached his ceiling, but his pro-readiness is an important asset for a B.C. club that recently lost 30-year-old receiver Shawn Gore to retirement.
I also love the additions of Jeremy Zver as a guard/tackle prospect – he’s raw, but he’s got all the physical tools – and Frederic Chagnon and Nate Hamlin as special teamers. We’ll have to see how the Leos bring these kids along, but this looks like a really good haul for B.C with as many as three present/future starters in the mix.

It’ll be interesting to see if Jordan Herdman, once considered a possible first-round talent, contributes to the Lions in some way. His testing numbers at the combine were awful, but he was a tackling machine at SFU.
Ranking the nine CFL draft classes
Qman
Champion

Hambone wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:I will be very interested to see how Herdman pans out, among the more intriguing picks IMO. He is labelled as not testing well but his game day performances are the reverse. Plus playing alongside his twin brother in the linebacking corps at SFU makes for an interesting story. Maybe he will become what many of us had hoped for Bo Lokombo?!?!
I'm mixed on Herdman but I have nothing to gauge him on other than raw stats. Keep hearing about Jordan being opposite game days vs testing. Is not testing well a sign of someone not totally dedicated to his craft or lacking some in work ethic, practice habits and preparation? One would think with Kelly Bates running things at SFU and Dean Valli on his staff that if anybody can get some insights into what makes the Herdmans tick it would be BC. Perhaps they did which is why they slid to the 6th round. Apparently Justin is rather miffed that he was the 5th LB drafted instead of the 1st. Interesting that the Argos opted for the twin with the lesser numbers.
come'on justin/jordan ... your 40 time is ok for Olineman, really bad for ST player. Thats the reason your a late round pick ... pros is all about speed.
pennw
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:John Hodge of 3downnation.com evaluated all nine teams' draft classes, and ranked the Lions first. His comments:
The Lions addressed their two biggest positional needs early in receiver Danny Vandervoort and defensive tackle Junior Luke. Some feel that Vandervoort has already reached his ceiling, but his pro-readiness is an important asset for a B.C. club that recently lost 30-year-old receiver Shawn Gore to retirement.
I also love the additions of Jeremy Zver as a guard/tackle prospect – he’s raw, but he’s got all the physical tools – and Frederic Chagnon and Nate Hamlin as special teamers. We’ll have to see how the Leos bring these kids along, but this looks like a really good haul for B.C with as many as three present/future starters in the mix.

It’ll be interesting to see if Jordan Herdman, once considered a possible first-round talent, contributes to the Lions in some way. His testing numbers at the combine were awful, but he was a tackling machine at SFU.
Interesting that article has BC ranked 1st and Calgary in 8th, yet some are complaining about our choices and seem to be coveting Calgary's picks. I too was somewhat shocked that we picked a receiver first , but reading some other forums on this draft , many fans from other teams were wanting Danny Vandervoort for their first pick. Apparently Hamilton was very high on him too and would have picked him if he was still available at 4th. I for one am happy we got Luke , looking at some of the info available he still has lots of room to grow yet, whereas the guy Calgary got is considered to have already reached his ceiling .
On that film on Jeremy Zver , he looks really good , but it is hard to tell from these videos. All guys look great on their promo videos, but it has to be taken into consideration who they are playing against in those . In Jeremy's case, that is against Junior football players . Not saying he isn't good , just noting the competition he's up against .
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

There is a lot to like with our picks and with the work of Wally and the staff re the 2017 draft.

Danny V. Highly regarded. Pro ready. Good size. Good hands. Gets open all over the field. Hard to ask for more.

Junior Luke. Should contribute right away on the DLine. Good size and mobility.

Jeremy Zver. Highly rated left tackle. Very athletic. Very good size and strength.

Frederic Chagnon. Very effective LB work in college. Great size. Should impact on STs.

Nathaniel Hamlin. Great size and athleticism for a DB. We rated him tops at his position.

Edward Godin. Similar size to David Menard. Great motor. Plays with ferocity.

Dakota Brush. TE. Great size. Even this player might have a chance at a CFL career.

Jordan Herdman. Not fast apparently. Did not do well at the Combine apparently. But he can play. Should have a CFL career, methinks.

Mitchell Hillis. Receiver. For a draft that some said was not deep, it seems to this fan that the depth of NATIONAL talent just keeps growing. As a CFL fan, one has to love it.

This fan thinks our staff was very well prepared for the draft. We have a number of NAT openings on our roster, and we have done good work to fill the gaps. :thup:

Just IMO ...

CardiacKid
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:John Hodge of 3downnation.com evaluated all nine teams' draft classes, and ranked the Lions first. His comments:

The author of the 3downnation article was not particularly complimentary of the Riders' picks overall (even though he ranked them mid-pack). If his assessment winds up being somewhat accurate, a Riders team sadly lacking in decent National depth will continue to struggle in that department and more than likely struggle on the field.

I wonder if Chris Jones has a tendency to underestimate the value of the National component?
Qman
Champion

pennw wrote:

Interesting that article has BC ranked 1st and Calgary in 8th, yet some are complaining about our choices and seem to be coveting Calgary's picks. I too was somewhat shocked that we picked a receiver first , but reading some other forums on this draft , many fans from other teams were wanting Danny Vandervoort for their first pick. Apparently Hamilton was very high on him too and would have picked him if he was still available at 4th. I for one am happy we got Luke , looking at some of the info available he still has lots of room to grow yet, whereas the guy Calgary got is considered to have already reached his ceiling .
On that film on Jeremy Zver , he looks really good , but it is hard to tell from these videos. All guys look great on their promo videos, but it has to be taken into consideration who they are playing against in those . In Jeremy's case, that is against Junior football players . Not saying he isn't good , just noting the competition he's up against .
regina rams program merged with UofR have been play CIS for a while .. Zver is playing against UofC, UBC, UofS, etc
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.bclions.com/2017/05/19/junio ... rush-near/
Junior Luke | Coming Soon To A Pass Rush Near You

On the field, he is as aggressive and intimidating as they come. Away from the gridiron, Junior Luke has characteristics more similar to his first name of that of a gentle giant. With that, it’s no surprise he majored in Social Work and wants to pursue that career avenue once football comes to an end.

“I originally wanted to become a physical education teacher but didn’t have the grades,” explained the Lions’ new first round draft pick.

“It (social work) came about after I started coaching young kids at my university. I had a lot of good feedback from parents telling me I was doing a good job and the kids liked me too. I started getting interested in it.”

Wally Buono, Neil McEvoy and Geroy Simon certainly picked up on these attributes at the CFL Combine in March. After proving himself as one of the top defensive line prospects- he especially stood out during the one on one drills in Regina- the Lions brass knew they had to move him near the top of their draft board. When the University of Montreal Carabins product was available at number seven, they knew what they had to do.

“We didn’t hesitate at all,” said McEvoy after the draft on May 7th. “Junior is an athlete that is also a big man. We felt that playing professional football he would have a step up on other people because of his athletic ability.”

As Junior puts the coaching aside to focus on his latest goal of cracking the Lions’ active roster, he can take comfort in the fact a few familiar faces will be with him in Kamloops. Along with 3rd round pick Frederic Chagnon, defensive lineman David Menard and offensive lineman David Foucault are ex-teammates of Luke with the Carabins.

“I have talked to Menard a little bit. We spoke about the defence and the stadium, just small stuff,” explained Luke.

“I didn’t ask him too many questions. He told me I would be fine. I will be with him throughout the whole camp so I will be able to understand what’s going on. I was thrilled to be drafted but at the same time I knew David was going to be there and then we drafted Frederic too. We have chemistry together and are also great friends so hopefully we can get better and help out the team.”

The four Carabins, sounds like a good moniker for the crew already, already have an idea of what it takes to win. Luke and Chagnon were members of the 2014 squad that brought the University its first ever Vanier Cup Championship. Both rookies, along with fellow 2017 draftee Nate Hamlin, attended a New York Giants mini-camp last weekend.

You can bet that extra work will prove to be beneficial when they hit the field in Kamloops for training camp practices next week. After all, improving sack totals and getting to the quarterback will be at the top of Buono and the coaching staff’s priority list.

Luke’s style should provide yet another option as the club looks to re-tinker a unit, which lost its 2016 sack leader Alex Bazzie. Luke is ready to prove himself.

“I think I bring speed and explosiveness on the line of scrimmage,” stated Luke.

“Once I know what I am doing I can play fast. I watched a lot of tape at University and will continue to do that in camp. I think I will have the chance to play and make a difference but that’s going to depend on what I do on the field. We’ll see during camp.”

At the end of the day it is all about proving to the organization they made the right call when it came to their second pick in the first round. It is a moment he won’t soon forget.

“My Mom was very happy. It’s a huge moment for anybody. You don’t really know what to say, you just enjoy it. At the same time you have to understand it’s all about proving yourself after. I am happy but the real work is only beginning.”

And when the drills and days get tough he knows he can look at his mentorship of young kids as motivation.

“I wanted to show not just kids but other people that someone like me can go through a lot and be able to achieve their goals. I just wanted to have fun and be happy with what I can do. Playing football is what I wanted to do but first and foremost I just wanted to be happy at anything I did.”

Although we have a hunch whatever post-playing career he chooses will have to wait a few years, perhaps he will make a good coach one day as well.
Article about Junior Luke by Matt Baker, on the Lions' site ...

We seem to have very good talent on the roster. Luke fills a spot in the middle of the DLine. We will see how the Internationals do there. My impression was that last year we were far from the dominance we have had there in the past.

CardiacKid
Legend

Bit of an interesting poll over at BCLions.com asking "which 2017 Lions draft pick are you the most excited about"? I would have assumed either Danny Vandervoort or Junior Luke would have been the the top vote getters being the 2 choices in the 1st round or maybe Herdman as the local player. But tied for first was Edward Godin along with Vandervoort.
Yes it was highly unscientific but I guess there are a significant number of Godin fans out there. Nice.... :good: Based on his online bio, it sounds like the bulk of the Godin clan will be making visits from Quebec to BC Place.