The decline of Vancouver sports media & its effect on Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

If one was to tally the total number of hours in the year TSN1040 devotes to CFL discussion (irrespective of Lions pre and post game and training camp) vs NFL discussion, I am willing to bet it would represent a ratio of 80-20 or maybe even 90-10 NFL. Among regular contributors such as Mitch Berger (ugggh!), Alex Marvez, Charean Williams (to name a few), all of the Seahawk beat guys, and the odd call into someone like Trent Dilfer, 1040's football coverage is wall-to-wall American, which I loathe.

Don't get me wrong, I am not anti-NFL. I watch it/follow it, and I get that it's a large league and big business. But their CFL coverage is really piss-poor in contrast. It seems that Suits and LU are the only CFL observers they reach out to with any kind of regularity. They are not serving their listeners with this massive disparity, but likely pandering to that tiny but vocal minority that despise the CFL.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
louharris74
Rookie

Couldn't agree with you more re the overexposure of the NFL vs. CFL. I enjoy all football talk, but way too many NFL insiders. And agree re Mitch Berger ... comes across extremely arrogant. If they got rid of Pratt and Bro Jake hopefully that would also be the end of Berger.
Hopefully Rintoul gets hired back on a contract basis to do the pbp for the Lions games, assuming TSN1040 renews / the Lions renew with 1040. I'm sure the local guys at 1040 are not happy with what's going on with Bell Media Eastern suits making the personal decisions. Getting rid of Schaad for the Whitecaps pbp might even be a bigger bozo move. That guy is great at that job.
Qman
Champion

louharris74 wrote:Couldn't agree with you more re the overexposure of the NFL vs. CFL. I enjoy all football talk, but way too many NFL insiders. And agree re Mitch Berger ... comes across extremely arrogant. If they got rid of Pratt and Bro Jake hopefully that would also be the end of Berger.
Hopefully Rintoul gets hired back on a contract basis to do the pbp for the Lions games, assuming TSN1040 renews / the Lions renew with 1040. I'm sure the local guys at 1040 are not happy with what's going on with Bell Media Eastern suits making the personal decisions. Getting rid of Schaad for the Whitecaps pbp might even be a bigger bozo move. That guy is great at that job.
agree ... berger is horrible. i flip the dial when he is on.

Midday and afternoon shows do a lot of lions stuff during the season.

I think scotty will be back same way Jeff Patterson is now back on a contract basis. If he goes over the corus or rogers station in some capacity, then it would open the door for Abbott, Moj, Jim Mullin, Farhan, Blake price, or someone new.

Schaad sorta indicated that he might be going over the TV side on Twitter, wasn't a big part of the radio station any more now that he was doing more and more TV for TSN. My guess he will go to contract like Perry S is now. He is really talented and can work radio (any format) during the day and TV on weekend. Its not a secret anymore the the whitecaps won't be on radio this year -- almost no Ad time during broadcast and according to people at the station post game shows they have to beg for callers.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

While these personnel decisions are hitting home here because of Rintoul's association with the Lions they aren't restricted to the Vancouver market or the play by play booths. Bell is making cuts and reorganizing nationwide. And it's not just the radio market. It's also been happening in print and TV and to properties outside Bell.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3960296
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Rocko604 wrote:1040 has been a total dumpster fire since Bro Jake and Pratt were brought on
I marvel at how this show has been held intact since its inception. It's lasted about 2 years longer than I thought it would. My peers are in their 40s and 50s....and I don't know ANYONE who can stand listening to this dreck in the mornings. So if we all find the show stale and cheesy, with outdated references and cringe worthy water cooler humour from the 80s - how on earth does anyone in their 20s and 30s relate to it?? They've given more air time to NFL worshipers Shah and Surman lately to give it a younger voice, but it's still a dumpster fire as you point out. And it's radio's important morning drive time slot, to boot. This is the slot in which they typically charge more to advertisers. Amazing.

As for Bell linking the recent dismissals to the loss of revenue from the Super Bowl, I'm calling bull crap. A convenient excuse. Sure they're losing some ad revenue, but it's a 3 and half hour event against a whole year(!) and the American commercials will only be shown on the Fox feed....they will still be showing Canadian ads and running promos on CTV. This excuse a slap in the face to the people that lost their jobs. There's still plenty of ad revenue for this conglomerate; don't believe them if they're crying poverty.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Qman
Champion

David wrote:
Rocko604 wrote:1040 has been a total dumpster fire since Bro Jake and Pratt were brought on
I marvel at how this show has been held intact since its inception. It's lasted about 2 years longer than I thought it would. My peers are in their 40s and 50s....and I don't know ANYONE who can stand listening to this dreck in the mornings. So if we all find the show stale and cheesy, with outdated references and cringe worthy water cooler humour from the 80s - how on earth does anyone in their 20s and 30s relate to it?? They've given more air time to NFL worshipers Shah and Surman lately to give it a younger voice, but it's still a dumpster fire as you point out. And it's radio's important morning drive time slot, to boot. This is the slot in which they typically charge more to advertisers. Amazing.

As for Bell linking the recent dismissals to the loss of revenue from the Super Bowl, I'm calling bull crap. A convenient excuse. Sure they're losing some ad revenue, but it's a 3 and half hour event against a whole year(!) and the American commercials will only be shown on the Fox feed....they will still be showing Canadian ads and running promos on CTV. This excuse a slap in the face to the people that lost their jobs. There's still plenty of ad revenue for this conglomerate; don't believe them if they're crying poverty.

other issue i have with the morning show is i can't listen to it taking the kids to school in the car.
i love putting 1040 on it the car, but thats one slot i can't. other shows that actually talk sports, no problem.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Another one who can't stand Bro and Pratt. Bro is a clown with his so called jokes. He adds nothing to the show. Pratt on the other hand is the master of the hyperbole.
BC 1988
Legend

David wrote:

Fully agree-I don't know anyone (and I do have some friends also in the 40-55 age demo who tune in to 1040 all the time like I do) who actually enjoy listening to Bro Jake-Pratt. Why on earth are they still there? I'm sure those two are very well paid for the waste of space they occupy on the airwaves.

Bell is really promoting the contest
http://blog.fagstein.com/2017/01/27/ctv ... nt-page-1/
that will be held during the Super Bowl CDN telecast (both with ad spots and Sekeres doing on-air reads for it.)
It won't make me tune in--the ham-fisted way they insert the simsubs always looks like it's done by a 5 yr old and is mind-numbingly repetitious in the content.
Qman
Champion

BC 1988 wrote:
David wrote:

Fully agree-I don't know anyone (and I do have some friends also in the 40-55 age demo who tune in to 1040 all the time like I do) who actually enjoy listening to Bro Jake-Pratt. Why on earth are they still there? I'm sure those two are very well paid for the waste of space they occupy on the airwaves.

Bell is really promoting the contest
http://blog.fagstein.com/2017/01/27/ctv ... nt-page-1/
that will be held during the Super Bowl CDN telecast (both with ad spots and Sekeres doing on-air reads for it.)
It won't make me tune in--the ham-fisted way they insert the simsubs always looks like it's done by a 5 yr old and is mind-numbingly repetitious in the content.
its poorly done
-and-
NFL is the only sport that cdn broadcasters do simsub. NHL no. NBA no. MLB no. All it does is put more money into the NFL's pocket. Bell is going to make money on it no matter what, just the rights fee will change (although they will lose money this year because they didn't have a loss of simsub clause in the current contract) CRTC should ban it for all season. Simsub is their to help fund canadian based content by allowing simsub on major primetime dramas and comedies, not sporting events.
Fred.Fonce
Rookie

when I retired 5 years ago I would have 1040 on all day...but then they brought Jake and Pratt on in the mornings so that ended my morning listening, just can't stomach those two bozos...so I started to listen to the mid-day show. Now I have had enough of Sekeres ( spelt ...S E K E R E S ...in a really nasally voice), his endless shout over his co-hosts and guests, and "you've had a good run" cut-offs of callins. His condescension of everyone else is just too much. So I tried the afternoon comedy central show of Taylor and B-Mac. It was funny at first, now its lame. What's left? Moj in the evenings but then I have other stuff to do.
The other infuriating thing for me is the disparity of coverage between the Canucks and Lions. The Lions had a great comeback season last year, and even during the Canucks off-season and Lions mid-season, the Canucks were receiving a 90/10 split in on air coverage. I get the marketing element of that decision, but it still drives me nuts.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Blame fans for the over the top Canucks coverage Radio goes where the money is and in multiparty markets, that isn't the CFL.

This is going to be tougher and tougher to sustain IMO. Any league requires a constant stream of new fans of the young variety. Where are they going to come from in this Market? We don't have many high schools with programs. There are increasing concerns about long term health risks which is certainly going to steer parents to other sports activities for their kids
Many of us are of the older variety and I scarce know a fan of the CFL under about 30 .

Maybe I am a tad pessimistic but I just don't see the Lions ever getting a decent push by the media . Not enough short or long term upside for the bank heads to order it
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
mountaincat
Rookie

louharris74 wrote:Getting rid of Schaad for the Whitecaps pbp might even be a bigger bozo move. That guy is great at that job.
you gotta be kidding. i think he did some good and funny stuff on the radio around here over the years. but the sound of him calling a goal was like nails on a chalkboard... if the nails are a cat's claws and the cat is being strangled to death. holy hell, what an infernal racket. that alone was almost enough to poison the well on my half hearted attempts to get into the local futbol team oops i mean "side" ...IMO he just tried way too hard and it usually came off as cloying and awkward.

rintoul has somewhat similar issues though nowhere as bad.
almo89
Legend

mountaincat wrote:
louharris74 wrote:Getting rid of Schaad for the Whitecaps pbp might even be a bigger bozo move. That guy is great at that job.
you gotta be kidding. i think he did some good and funny stuff on the radio around here over the years. but the sound of him calling a goal was like nails on a chalkboard... if the nails are a cat's claws and the cat is being strangled to death. holy hell, what an infernal racket. that alone was almost enough to poison the well on my half hearted attempts to get into the local futbol team oops i mean "side" ...IMO he just tried way too hard and it usually came off as cloying and awkward.

My favorite Schaad moments were his impersonations on Adam Rita and John McKeachie
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

mountaincat wrote:

You don't have to worry about that too much. Whitecaps will be hard press to score goals this year.
Tighthead
Legend

almo89 wrote:
mountaincat wrote:

My favorite Schaad moments were his impersonations on Adam Rita and John McKeachie
1040 was lots of fun in those days. Lower budget, kind of a seat of your pants feel to lots of it. Less polished and structured.

The Adam Rita was the best.