The decline of Vancouver sports media & its effect on Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

User avatar
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer
Posts: 3086
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:39 pm
Location: Belize City, Belize

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:26 am

David wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:21 pm
I am surprised you guys don't listen to 3 Down Radio, Mondays from 7:00pm - 9:00pm on TSN1040 (some of you may listen, but it doesn't seem to get much traction on these boards). It's the most complete "all you can eat" Lions/CFL discussion around, and hosted by LU, Farhan, and Giulio. They bounced around time slots (and days) during the summer, principally because of Vancouver Canadians baseball but have settled into a regular Monday slot. It's first-rate analysis, plus Wally calls in to talk about execu....I mean, the state of his team. :wink:

They've even started taking listener calls, which is a good place to vent (Farhan totally skirted my comment about Dorazio's long period of mediocre to poor results with the O-line for such a respected coaching guru - coaching fraternity etiquette I guess). :wag:


DH :cool:
I listen every week. It's one of the podcasts I have subscribed to automatically download to my phone. It's an excellent show. As much as I have always liked Rintoul's enthusiasm for the Lions, 3 Down Radio is better now that Farhan is the host because he is so dialled in to the entire CFL.

User avatar
mountaincat
Rookie
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:53 am

Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:20 pm

Bob Lenarduzzi got featured in an interview segment on cbc radio's afternoon drive show the other day, ahead of the whitecaps playoff game. can't recall similar happening before any recent lions playoff game. that's the #1 rated station in town BTW.

User avatar
David
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 7778
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:23 am
Location: Vancouver (Kitsilano)

Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:55 pm

mountaincat wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:20 pm
Bob Lenarduzzi got featured in an interview segment on cbc radio's afternoon drive show the other day, ahead of the whitecaps playoff game. can't recall similar happening before any recent lions playoff game. that's the #1 rated station in town BTW.
The Whitecaps are smart. They sent media down to Portland to their last home game (not sure how many went in total, but a bunch of folks from TSN1040 attended and were probably wined and dined). They also had one of their players Kendall Waston pen a love letter to Vancouver to pull at the city's heart strings. 'Caps are the 'it' team at the moment, getting loads of media exposure for winning their first ever playoff game. It's to be expected.

The Lions meanwhile? It's like once they got eliminated, they don't even exist. Nada. You'd think the club would be doing a full court press with "Fan Appreciation Night," thinking of creative ways to win the fans back to make up for the train wreck of a season. But no. Apparently, the pre-planned bobble head night is enough.


DH :cool:
Please sell the team, Mr. Braley.

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Posts: 3147
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:58 pm

Trying to put a positive spin here: It Braley really is going to sell the team within the next 2-3 months then it would seem unlikely that he would also spend extra $ promoting the last home game as he will not reap any long term benefits. Same goes for season ticket renewal perks, kept at a minimum because any extra costs will not be re-cooped down the road by Braley.

User avatar
David
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 7778
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:23 am
Location: Vancouver (Kitsilano)

Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:47 am

The thought occurred to me this morning as I listened to two young guys on Sportsnet 650 dissect the 2017 Seattle Seahawks and speculate on off-season moves. What will Vancouver's sports broadcasting look like in 20 years? Eventually, those with a passion for the Leos and the CFL, such as Don Taylor, Bob Marjanovich, and yes, even Dave Pratt will have retired. Scott Rintoul and Matt Sekeres won't be far behind. It sometimes feels as though we're turning into a very large Seattle suburb (just wait 'til the high speed train is launched when fans can get to Seahawk games from downtown Vancouver in less time than someone from the suburbs can get to a Lions game).

The new breed of sports hosts in Vancouver such as Satiar Shah, Jawn Jang, Mike Halford, Jason Brough don't really have the slightest interest in the BC Lions or the CFL. They've grown up worshiping the NFL, like everyone else in their demo. Whose going to be able to intelligently discuss the team in the future when the old guard retire?


DH :cool:
Please sell the team, Mr. Braley.

Matt Baker
Rookie
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:13 pm

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:59 pm

David wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:47 am
The thought occurred to me this morning as I listened to two young guys on Sportsnet 650 dissect the 2017 Seattle Seahawks and speculate on off-season moves. What will Vancouver's sports broadcasting look like in 20 years? Eventually, those with a passion for the Leos and the CFL, such as Don Taylor, Bob Marjanovich, and yes, even Dave Pratt will have retired. Scott Rintoul and Matt Sekeres won't be far behind. It sometimes feels as though we're turning into a very large Seattle suburb (just wait 'til the high speed train is launched when fans can get to Seahawk games from downtown Vancouver in less time than someone from the suburbs can get to a Lions game).

The new breed of sports hosts in Vancouver such as Satiar Shah, Jawn Jang, Mike Halford, Jason Brough don't really have the slightest interest in the BC Lions or the CFL. They've grown up worshiping the NFL, like everyone else in their demo. Whose going to be able to intelligently discuss the team in the future when the old guard retire?


DH :cool:
The NFL has very much become a "year round" league, just like the NHL. Less than a month after the Super Bowl it will be all combine talk. Then of course, free agency is around the corner and April is all about the draft. Then its OTAs. And all of a sudden summer rolls around and training camp talk takes over and puts baseball at a distant number two south of the border. That's a big challenge we face up here. Good on the CFL for holding GM meetings in January, although in all honesty did anything come out of those? Marks CFL Week (in Winnipeg late March) is also a great initiative.

I am at the older end of that younger generation that the CFL missed. My buddies still follow and support the Lions, but if you go 4-5 years younger than us is where it gets scary. I was talking to my brother in law ( late 20s) the other day and he reminded me yet again that zero of his buddies care or follow the CFL. That's obviously a concern and something that needs to be acted on when it comes to getting these young fans back interested. As we learned two seasons ago, simply winning isn't good enough anymore.

User avatar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5309
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:25 pm
Location: Living in PG and on the road for work the next 2 years; Adams Lake, Castlegar and points beyond

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:53 pm

One thing I wonder about Matt is that demographic that is 4-5 years younger than yourself. Through the research the Lions must obviously do or from your own anecdotal sense of things is it a case whereby that 20s to mid-30s demographics age group is tuning out the CFL in favour of other leagues and sports or are they actually getting away from following pro sports as a whole? It seems that these days everybody is so much into the healthier lifestyle that includes running, biking, hiking and camping that sitting on their duff in a football stadium for over 3 hours, sometimes sacrificing their entire weekend to do so, just doesn't resonate like it once did.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.

User avatar
SammyGreene
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:52 am
Location: Ladner

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:56 am

Hambone wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:53 pm
One thing I wonder about Matt is that demographic that is 4-5 years younger than yourself. Through the research the Lions must obviously do or from your own anecdotal sense of things is it a case whereby that 20s to mid-30s demographics age group is tuning out the CFL in favour of other leagues and sports or are they actually getting away from following pro sports as a whole? It seems that these days everybody is so much into the healthier lifestyle that includes running, biking, hiking and camping that sitting on their duff in a football stadium for over 3 hours, sometimes sacrificing their entire weekend to do so, just doesn't resonate like it once did.
For sure Hambone. Also have to ask how many actually have cable or are saving $$$ and content with streaming, watching little to no sports? Working with TSN to come up with a streaming option has to be high on the CFL priority list.
And Matt, as Generation X, seeing no surge in attendance with that very exciting 2016 team, that featured a pass happy exciting young QB, was a huge eye opener to me of just how big of challenge this market is now.

User avatar
BC 1988
Champion
Posts: 616
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:58 pm

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:25 pm

The Lions just announced the renewal of the radio agreement with TSN 1040 for another 5 years. LeLacheur was on with Donnie and the Moj at the top of the 3rd hour.

https://www.bclions.com/2018/01/17/tsn- ... rtnership/

B.C.FAN
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 9217
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:28 pm

Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:35 pm

BC 1988 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:25 pm
The Lions just announced the renewal of the radio agreement with TSN 1040 for another 5 years. LeLacheur was on with Donnie and the Moj at the top of the 3rd hour.

https://www.bclions.com/2018/01/17/tsn- ... rtnership/
It's great to have some certainty around the radio rights instead of lurching from year to year as in the recent past. The continuation of two-hour pre-game and post-game shows is as important locally as the broadcast rights themselves. LeLacheur seems to be on the ball.
"I think [Fred Fateri] was like a lot of people who watch football, hockey or any professional sport on television. They sit there and think they could coach better than the professional. Some people really think that." - Bob Ackles, The Water Boy

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests