Throwback Thursday

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

One of the worst free agency losses in Lions history, perhaps just as bad as that of Doug Flutie, is that of LB Willie Pless. Received as part of the 6-for-1 trade for Matt Dunigan to the Argonauts, Pless was the only useful player out of the six players received prior to the 1990 season. Unfortunately he lasted just one season in 1990 before being lost free agency to the Edmonton Eskimos where he had a stellar career and was named CFL Most Outstanding Defensive Player times.

It looks like in retirement, Pless stayed in the Edmonton area and is now a regional sales manager for a company that manufactures valves and pipelines: http://www.jagflo.com/contact.htm
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

When it comes to Lions management who should have strong effort to retain a particular Lions player, one possibility albeit very controversial is DT James Curry. He signed up the Lions in 1983 and played for nine games and got 6 sacks, but in October before the playoffs, was waived and he ended up on Toronto where he won the Grey Cup.

After staying with the Argonauts until 1985 winning CFL all-star status, he played for Ottawa in 1986 and then in Saskatchewan from 1987 to 1989 where he was western all-star and won a second Grey Cup.

I said this before and I'll say this again - my forever memory was his cheap shot against Argonauts QB John Congemi early on in the 1987 season as a Roughrider. Upon seeing that Congemi's pass was intercepted, Curry immediately laid a sudden and hard block against Congemi which left him severely injured. That play was declared legal and no penalty was delivered, though afterwards the commissioner laid a fine against Curry but the players association appealed. Perhaps had he stayed as a Lion, then in the 1983 Grey Cup with QB Holloway leaving the game because of the flu, then maybe Curry could have delivered a cheap shot at Joe Barnes as well to take him out of the game which would have allowed the Lions to win. In the 1989 Grey Cup with Roughriders winning 43-40, I wonder if Tiger-Cats QB Mike Kerrigan was scared about throwing an interception for fear of immediate injury afterwards.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
David
Team Captain

B.C. Lions uniform, 1960-61 (Empire Stadium).

Notice the "U of Michigan" style helmets they wore back then. This preceded the "paw" logo which they wore from 1962-66.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
dtrain
Starter

Would love to see these as a third uni for a couple seasons.
BC 1988
Legend

Nice to see a color photo of that.#78 in 1961 would be Pat Claridge
https://www.statscrew.com/football/stats/p-claripat001
It's interesting that they were depicted as wearing black pants in both home and away unis according to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960_BC_Lions_season
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

My oh my! That's one sharp outfit! Thanks for sharing David. The team and their 'look' didn't fully register with me until 1963/64 when I was ten-ish -- them playing in the Grey Cup helped the recognition along (as did an enthusiastic older brother!) So, I don't quite first-hand remember life and times before the paw logo. You say the image dates to 1960-1. While I couldn't find a player wearing #78 for the Leos in 1960, Vancouver-born Pat Claridge (Tight-end) happily came along in 1961 and indeed wore that number, and wore it handsomely. Hard to make out the facial features exactly, but it sure strikes me as Claridge (passed away just a handful of years ago). Whoever/whatever, I too am liking that outfit a lot!
David
Team Captain

Here is another one, guys. I believe this is QB Randy Duncan. Quite a bit before my time, but I appreciate the history.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:51 pm
Here is another one, guys. I believe this is QB Randy Duncan. Quite a bit before my time, but I appreciate the history.

Oh yeah.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Duncan

As a kid, living near Empire Stadium, we used to go down to watch the Lions practice in the evening. Randy Duncan was there. He used to tilt up his helmet by the face guard and spit on the ground. It looked disgusting to kids, but also kind of cool. LOL

His signing was big news at the time. He had been the #1 overall pick in the NFL. He got more money to play for the Lions. Very good college career. Disappointing results as a QB for us.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Dusty
Champion

David wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:51 pm

David, could you pm me about getting a hi-rez copy of that picture. I would like to pass it onto Randy's son Scot who, through the internet, I've gotten to know. Over the years, I was able to send a few pieces of memorabilia and Lions wear to Randy via Scott, including the information from BC Lions when Randy died.

I remember when Randy was hired.... big news how we got him away from the Packers by paying him more... my, how times have changed...
David
Team Captain

Gary Robinson was a local SFU product that played 9 seasons(!) in black and orange (1969-77 + one season with Hamilton in '78), but surprisingly little is known about him. For example, I have never seen him at games (they often feature alumni signing autographs on the concourse), nor have I read anything about him about him since he retired.

This was his O-Pee-Chee card from 1970 (the photo was taken in Regina on July 10, 1970). While he wasn't perhaps dominant, Robinson was a more than serviceable 265lb DT and DE.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Ballistic Bob
Legend

I met Gary Robinson through his brother Grant at Grants Xmas dinner in Coquitlam circa 1977. Gary picked me up and put me three a doorway unhurt of course. He was gentle giant that night. He wasn't fond of his Royal Bank leader photo in 1972 or 73. Very rare photos as the story goes he scooped them all up. I'll post the unflattering pic if you want. Grant was a vancouver ff. but left to pursue a drywall career in Whistler. Gary might of joined him. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
Qman
Champion

David wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:06 pm

Gary Robinson was a local SFU product that played 9 seasons(!) in black and orange (1969-77 + one season with Hamilton in '78), but surprisingly little is known about him. For example, I have never seen him at games (they often feature alumni signing autographs on the concourse), nor have I read anything about him about him since he retired.

This was his O-Pee-Chee card from 1970 (the photo was taken in Regina on July 10, 1970). While he wasn't perhaps dominant, Robinson was a more than serviceable 265lb DT and DE.

Might be the 1970 card set.
but I think this photo is the 1969 uniform .. last year they wore this one.

believe they went to princeton-eske jerseys in 70 & 71
David
Team Captain

You are right, these are the '69 uniforms, but they wore them in the exhibition season in '70 when this photo was taken for the O-Pee-Chee card set. Actually there was a exhibition game called the "Black vs White" game the Lions used to play at Empire Stadium during training camp. In the 1971 game, the players on the black side wore these '69 uniforms with the orange shoulder patch.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

Qman, thanks for the heads up about Princeton. I never realized that their uniform is very similar to the one the Leos wore in 1970 and 1971 with the stripes down the sleeve. I always thought it was inspired by the Tiger-Cats, but maybe we modeled ours after Princeton.

Funnily enough, Princeton also wears our old "Michigan" style helmets that we wore in 1961 and 1962. The image on the right is a Princeton game worn jersey from the '60s. The image on the left are their uniforms today. Pretty slick.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

For just a fraction of a second my local hero flashed before my eyes! Lawrence "Sonny" Homer (yeah, I know, I do keep mentioning him now and again don't I!) Sonny boy wore #21 and wore it well. You picked a good jersey number for your display, David! Played for our Leos from 1958--1968, the first half of his career as DB, and the second half as WR. These two pics (lousy quality, grabbed from online) are from the 1962 and 1963 seasons. My man was born in Trail B.C., and passed away several years ago in North Van. A true born and bred B.C. Lion. Not every player plays with just one kidney (but as a kid I was super impressed, foolishly thinking the poor guy was playing with one lung!) I've since got a better grip on human anatomy -- now have my vital organs in order!
Sonny Homer1.jpg
Sonny Homer 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.