Adam Bighill released by the Lions, December 2016

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I think there are some guys on the Saints 53 man roster who are going to find practices not as easy or enjoyable as in the past.
Huge Talent
Starter

Good luck to you Biggie. They don't know what they've got, but if you get the nod they'll soon find out.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I'm sure the coaches love Bighill's drive, talent and commitment but I still think in the back of mind about what Doug Flutie says about the NFL and size.

On the PR if he sticks, he gets paid nicely.... but given that the NFL are size queens I can hear the coaches saying ... 'wow, this guy can play'... he made '....' .... and ...... but he's only 5'10" and a bit small.'

I don't know the Saints roster and who they kept to put Bighill on the PR or why they opted to put him there so it's all speculation but based on what I heard about his play you'd think he'd won a starting job at least on STs but he was cut and waived.

If his play stood out as it seemed and no other team picked him up it leads me to asking why. The Saints might have wanted him and seen him as the best risk to put on waivers as it's a good risk no one would take him as for most he'd be too small.

Don Matthews when he was in BC would cut RB John Henry White each year as other teams weren't about to take an older RB like him. It was a safe thing to do to juggle him that way to hide a player they would take.

I think a smaller QB like Bo Levi Mitchell might actually never take the NFL bait as he knows down there (to coaches) size matters. He wasn't drafted, gets paid very, very well and lives with his wife and daughter in Calgary (but so did Garcia even after he left for the NFL) and recently mentioned how the QB role in the CFL has changed due to Henry Burris (playing at 41). Also, I could see him taking over for Dave Dickensen who'd bump up to GM maybe 10 years from now like Lulay might do in BC as these guys are all good thinkers and good with players as is DD.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Too bad the NFL is so fixated on size.
The_Pauser
Legend

Yeah, Biggie is the smallest LB on their roster (by 3 inches) and lightest (by 4 pounds, but most of the LB's are a good 10-15 pounds heavier). This definitely came down to a size issue, and not based on performance.

Which begs the question: why did they even bother?
Roar you Lions roar!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:48 pm
Yeah, Biggie is the smallest LB on their roster (by 3 inches) and lightest (by 4 pounds, but most of the LB's are a good 10-15 pounds heavier). This definitely came down to a size issue, and not based on performance.

Which begs the question: why did they even bother?
Maybe the answer is simple. He played so well in the pre-season games they couldn't cut him.

Reminds me of the story Ron Lancaster then of the Green Riders told about his HC Eagle Keys during preseason. Lancaster tosses a brilliant long pass that the Rec takes all the way for a TD. With the home town crowd on their feet cheering Lancaster comes to the sidelines after where the Eagle confronts him with "Why did you throw it that guy!?" followed by something like 'we've traded him...and now the fans will be mad.'
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:49 pm
Too bad the NFL is so fixated on size.
^^^NO, it is not too bad at all. It is very good because it means all sorts of small, talented players get to play in the CFL.
The_Pauser
Legend

Bighill has been promoted to the 53-man roster and makes his NFL debut tonight.
Roar you Lions roar!
BC 1988
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:22 pm
Thanks for that. Gives me time to pvr the game. (During the regular season, I usually just watch SEA, NE and those bizarro Color Rush Thursday games--which start up again this week).
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the heads up. Don't usually watch Monday Night Football but will tonight.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

BC 1988 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:34 pm
The_Pauser wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:22 pm
Thanks for that. Gives me time to pvr the game. (During the regular season, I usually just watch SEA, NE and those bizarro Color Rush Thursday games--which start up again this week).
I wasn't able to pay much attention to the game to notice if Biggie had any defensive reps. He didn't produce any stats. I did see him out on kick coverage though.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Bighill played 14 snaps on special teams, none on defence. He was released Tuesday but was expected to be added back to the practice roster.

Bighill dropped from Saints' active roster, expected to return to their practice squad