Adam Bighill released by the Lions, December 2016

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Bo Lokombo = Jamall Lee

Two local stud athletes whose careers as BC Lions we managed to bugger up because they didn't fit into our rigid system right away.

I'll be a little po'd if Bo gets released by the Ravens and signs with another CFL team.

The fact that all these guys are going down to the NFL and either making roster spots or coming close to it (and how a guy like Foucault made an NFL roster and PR but has largely struggled up here) shows you how good the level of CFL ball is.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bo Lokombo = Jamall Lee

Two local stud athletes whose careers as BC Lions we managed to bugger up because they didn't fit into our rigid system right away.
Exactly, waste of talent.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Adam Bighill not among the final cuts as the Saints reduce their roster down to 53
aklawitter
All Star

immediate fan reaction is of disappointment in the team, saints trying to move him to the PR
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

aklawitter wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:59 pm

immediate fan reaction is of disappointment in the team, saints trying to move him to the PR
Another tweet from Herb Toepe in NOLA.com indicated Bighill has been released but that the Saints hoped he would clear waivers so they could offer a practice squad spot.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Lokombo
Bazzie
Boyko
Leone

All among final cuts. I will be pissed too if Lokombo ends up with another CFL team.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:05 pm
Bo Lokombo = Jamall Lee

I'm not buying the waste of talent idea with Lokombo. His biggest problem was that he was trying to compete for playing time on a roster where 2/3 of the LB positions were held by two immovable objects in SolE and Biggie. Physically he is more suited to play SAM. To realistically get significant playing time BC had to play him at WIL or NKL and accept that cover skills might take a hit. What hurt Bo more than anything was that he was trying to earn playing time in what for the past half dozen seasons has been their strongest position unit.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:45 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:05 pm
Bo Lokombo = Jamall Lee

I'm not buying the waste of talent idea with Lokombo. His biggest problem was that he was trying to compete for playing time on a roster where 2/3 of the LB positions were held by two immovable objects in SolE and Biggie. Physically he is more suited to play SAM. To realistically get significant playing time BC had to play him at WIL or NKL and accept that cover skills might take a hit. What hurt Bo more than anything was that he was trying to earn playing time in what for the past half dozen seasons has been their strongest position unit.
Agreed. There was never an opening for a starting position with the Lions. Lokombo doesn't have the speed to play SAM. His only position is WILL. He might have a better chance now that Bighill is gone but Tony Burnett is a converted DB who is more suited to the deep zone coverage that Mark Washington likes from the WILL position.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Which would explain the coaches' decision late last year to play Jason Arakgi at LB ahead of Bo how, exactly??

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:49 pm
Hambone wrote:
Which would explain the coaches' decision late last year to play Jason Arakgi at LB ahead of Bo how, exactly??

I don't have access to the game tapes nor the ability break them down and grade a player's performance.

It seems to me BC wanted to get Bo
on the field more on D entering last season. They put in place defensive situational packages to do just that and he saw quite a few D reps in the early going as a result.

I can only assume that in assessing his performance the coaching staff determined he either a) started out OK and regressed into making too many mistakes in reads and his responsibilities or b) started out making these mistakes and missing assignments early and failed to show progress in understanding his responsibilities as the season progressed.

I think all coaching staffs accept that players will make mistakes in the first 4 or 5 games but that they will reduce them significantly as the season progresses. If they don't then the coaches will be faced with either removing that role or package from their scheme or replacing the player who isn't producing up to the needs.

That's my uneducated assessment. Aragki started getting the reps because Bo wasn't giving them the results they expected. Whether the switch improved things is another subject for discussion.
Rammer
Team Captain

Well PR NFL money and perhaps playing time vs being s CFL all-star and equivalent money. Sometimes it is just better to play 100% of the time rather than become trapped in a numbers game.

Very surprised that Bighill didn't earn a roster spot, but I'm now hoping that Bighill makes a return to the Lions.
Entertainment value = an all time low
CardiacKid
Legend

Bighill has accepted a practice roster spot with the Saints according to 3Downnation.com.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:59 am
Bighill has accepted a practice roster spot with the Saints according to 3Downnation.com.
No surprise there. This is truly his final shot at making the NFL. He stands to make nearly 50% more if he sticks on the NFL PR all season than he would if he came back for the final 8 games for the Lions assuming a $200K base. And of course being on the PR puts him one hit away from earning game cheques (approx $35K CDN at NFL rookie min). It's a no-brainer for Biggie to take the PR spot. He truly has nothing to lose and everything to gain.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:09 am

Very surprised that Bighill didn't earn a roster spot, but I'm now hoping that Bighill makes a return to the Lions.
Indications are that Bighill had an excellent training camp. Lack of height was probably his undoing which is really too bad because the guy can play.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Bighill confirmed via Twitter his acceptance of a practice roster spot.