Free Agent Market and Free Agent Camps

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Burnham should talk to Manny about career opportunities in Minnesota for former CFLers.
maxlion
Legend

We had a good team in 2016. Not quite good enough in the end, of course, but not too far off. However, with necessary pay raises for Jennings and Rainey, some tough choices need to be made.

Burnham would command a substantial increase if resigned, and any starting-level Canadian will come at a high cost. It's great to have Canadian depth, but this will come at a cost of high-level Canadian talent.

With Vallaincourt hopefully ready for a spot, and two selections in the first round of the draft, it might not be wise to spend big bucks on Stewart. Would he be willing to play for a bit less for his hometown team? His injury history is a bit of a red flag for a big ticket player.

Canadians who are not certain of starting like Westerman and Lokombo have to be willing to sign for modest amounts or move on.

Burnham performed much better than Sinkfield last year, but perhaps that means that Sinkfield will come cheaper next year--and may outperform Burnham in the right role.

There are plenty of free agents available. Can't get too focussed on resigning our own guys. Have to look at what bargains might be had around the league.
Lionsfan65
Starter

My wish list will probably look a lot different in Feburary, so lets just call this my Christmas wish list.
On offence I would like to see us move towards starting 4 nationals on the o line, meaning signing Steward is a priority. I like his play, and his versatility. We do need more Canadian depth at tackle. I would either sign Dan Federkeil, or ChrisVan Zeyl. O'Neill has already said he will retire. I wouldn't be surprised if Burnham goes to the NFL, however I think his best option would be to stay in BC. I would only resign Moore if Burnham leaves for the NFL. I would like to see what Sinkfield could do after a full training camp, however I would not overpay for him. Ianuzzi has had his best season this past year, and has made some clutch catches at times, however I believe that Adekolu can step into his role. I would also bring back Jerimiah Johnson on a full time basis.

On defence I would bring back Bazzie, however I would compliment him with another stud rush end such as Charleston Hughes or Jefferson. I would also bring back Brooks and Westerman, however I would also look for a stud nose tackle type. Elimimian is the best defensive player in the league, and him and Bighill, playing in the right scheme solidify a great linebacking group. Edem is a huge enigma. Sometimes he looks pretty good, other times he gets burnt real bad. While he does have a high ceiling, IMO Fraser is more consistent and as a result a better player. I would also release Stewart. I would resign Yell, Gaitor, Lee and Clarke, in that order. I would move Phillips to safety and play Parker at wide corner with Gator at the wide half.
On specials I think it is pretty much a given that Leonne goes South. Luckily there is a big group of kickers available this year. I would look at Calgary's kickers, particularly Maver as he is capable of doing all three kicking duties. I would also consider bringing White back.
CardiacKid
Legend

Brett Boyko may have a role to play in Steward's future with the Leo's. I don't know for how long the organization (and the fans) can hold on to the hope he opts to play for less money up north versus sticking on a PR squad down south. He made noise after being cut by the Eagles he wanted to play regardless of anything and yet it would appear he hasn't gotten any game action with the Chargers.

Would the Leo's issue an ultimatum if only to be clear in what the team needs to plan for? Boyko would be great to have on the team but at what point does the club just regard this will he or won't he as a distraction?

Speaking of distractions, I tend to regard Sinkfield as one. I don't think the man is entertaining thoughts of staying put in the CFL; don't waste time on trying to entice him. Earmark his salary for another player who actually may want to stay and let him go with well wishes back to his NFL dream.

And I thought Purifoy's name would appear on the FA list. A couple of articles detailing his fall from grace in the NCAA and the NFL had the man himself discuss his wish to return to the NFL. I wonder if a release from his contract is in the cards.
David
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:Brett Boyko may have a role to play in Steward's future with the Leo's. I don't know for how long the organization (and the fans) can hold on to the hope he opts to play for less money up north versus sticking on a PR squad down south. He made noise after being cut by the Eagles he wanted to play regardless of anything and yet it would appear he hasn't gotten any game action with the Chargers.
If I'm not mistaken, this was the final year that Boyko had to crack an NFL roster. I don't believe, by NFL rules, that he's allowed to come back as a PR player in 2017. That's been exhausted.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote: If I'm not mistaken, this was the final year that Boyko had to crack an NFL roster. I don't believe, by NFL rules, that he's allowed to come back as a PR player in 2017. That's been exhausted.
I believe Boyko has had two seasons on NFL practice squads and is eligible for a third, but teams prefer to give those positions to current draft picks and undrafted free agents. Boyko is only 24. Spending an extra year exhausting his NFL options isn't going to hurt him. Wally likes to bring in 26-year-old American linemen who have spent a few years bouncing around NFL practice rosters and learning to be pros. Boyko can spend another year down south and still come to the CFL before turning 26 in August 2018.
David
Team Captain

Right you are, B.C.FAN. He's only had 2 seasons on an NFL PR, so he's still eligible for a 3rd year.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

How many NFL season does it take to be vested in their pension and does years on the PR count toward being vested?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:How many NFL season does it take to be vested in their pension and does years on the PR count toward being vested?
Players are vested after achieving 3 credited seasons. Players must be on either the active roster, IR or PUP list (physically unable to peform) for a minimum 3 games to achieve a "credited season". PR time means nothing. I assume it's not much different in the NFL than CFL. Players aren't under contract to the team. They are just under an agreement to practice that carries none of the employment benefits that being under contract would provide.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
The_Pauser
Legend

Lions are apparently targeting Swayze Waters. Reached out to him in the fall before signing McCallum but due to personal reasons he wasn't able to report at the time. I wouldn't be surprised to see Wally take another big run at him. Would be a huge signing as he can handle all 3 kicking duties.

Would be much more preferable to me than the idea of bringing back a 48 year old McCallum.
Roar you Lions roar!
Qman
Champion

saw this today:

Roar Report ‏@RoarReport
#bclions didn't have many guys on the 6gm list in '16, so wally will not have much unused '16 cap space to use for 2017 contracts.

NEWS 1130 Sports @NEWS1130Sports
Been told talks between #BCLions and free agent Solomon Elimimian will resume in the new year because of 2016 salary cap issues.

Roar Report ‏@RoarReport
expect not much contract news from #bclions until the cap year changes in january.

Talks so far have been positive between the #BCLions and Elimimian, both sides want to get it done.
The_Pauser
Legend

Qman wrote:saw this today:

Roar Report ‏@RoarReport
#bclions didn't have many guys on the 6gm list in '16, so wally will not have much unused '16 cap space to use for 2017 contracts.

Been told talks between #BCLions and free agent Solomon Elimimian will resume in the new year because of 2016 salary cap issues.

Roar Report ‏@RoarReport
expect not much contract news from #bclions until the cap year changes in january.

Talks so far have been positive between the #BCLions and Elimimian, both sides want to get it done.
Good to see that Solly will likely be back. Unlike some, I feel that having Elimimian and Bighill in our defense gives us a big advantage. Would like to see Purifoy back as well if possible. Our linebacking group was a dominant force and really the strength of our D.
Roar you Lions roar!
Lionsfan65
Starter

The_Pauser wrote:
Qman wrote:saw this today:

Roar Report ‏@RoarReport

Roar Report ‏@RoarReport

Good to see that Solly will likely be back. Unlike some, I feel that having Elimimian and Bighill in our defense gives us a big advantage. Would like to see Purifoy back as well if possible. Our linebacking group was a dominant force and really the strength of our D.
Agreed, while some would rather have the Lions keep only one or the other, Having the two best linebackers in the league really is important for our success.
Unless he gets released Purifoy is still under contract for next season.
Lionsfan65
Starter

The_Pauser wrote:Lions are apparently targeting Swayze Waters. Reached out to him in the fall before signing McCallum but due to personal reasons he wasn't able to report at the time. I wouldn't be surprised to see Wally take another big run at him. Would be a huge signing as he can handle all 3 kicking duties.

Would be much more preferable to me than the idea of bringing back a 48 year old McCallum.
Waters is a pretty good kicker, and as you mentioned he can do all three kicking duties well, which would free up a roster spot somewhere else. I would prefer though if we had a national kicker.
The_Pauser
Legend

Lionsfan65 wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:Lions are apparently targeting Swayze Waters. Reached out to him in the fall before signing McCallum but due to personal reasons he wasn't able to report at the time. I wouldn't be surprised to see Wally take another big run at him. Would be a huge signing as he can handle all 3 kicking duties.

Waters is a pretty good kicker, and as you mentioned he can do all three kicking duties well, which would free up a roster spot somewhere else. I would prefer though if we had a national kicker.
For sure. If we could get a National kicker who could do all 3 duties, and do it well, that would be gold. But if we can get an International kicker who is one of the best punters in the league, while being able to hit regularly from 50+ I think that's an advantage in itself.
Roar you Lions roar!